: Fuel Filter Replacement

DopeStar 156
06-07-05, 01:44 AM
My dad and I had tried this about a year ago and couldn't get the thing out. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow, does anyone have any tips for unsticking this fuel filter?

brougham
06-07-05, 07:18 PM
What the one inside the carberator at the end of the gas line? Just use a wrench to take the end off of it and the filter is inside it. Unless that's not where it is or there's a different way to do it.

N0DIH
06-07-05, 07:52 PM
Make sure you have a wrench on the carb AND the fuel line!!!! Or you will damage it for sure.

I think it is a 1in for the filter housing to the carb, and a 5/8" line wrench for the line, you have to have pressure on both to do it, else you will round off or twist the fuel line.

You can use vice grips in a pinch, but I don't recommend it, but it works, although mars up the fittings pretty good.

DopeStar 156
06-08-05, 01:02 AM
Make sure you have a wrench on the carb AND the fuel line!!!! Or you will damage it for sure.

I think it is a 1in for the filter housing to the carb, and a 5/8" line wrench for the line, you have to have pressure on both to do it, else you will round off or twist the fuel line.

You can use vice grips in a pinch, but I don't recommend it, but it works, although mars up the fittings pretty good.
Too late.... :banghead:

satnone
06-10-05, 01:10 AM
i baught a fuel filter for my fleetwood years ago and still cant seem to find where it goes... ive searched every inch of the fuel line under the car.. its suposedly supposed to be between the fuel line and the gas tank... but theres no way in hell its there.. unless im just completely blind..... does anybody know about these??

N0DIH
06-10-05, 02:07 AM
Carb? It is in the front of the carb where the fuel line goes in. Takes a 1 inch and a 5/8" line wrench to remove. If you don't use the 1in wrench you will damage the fuel line coming in.

N0DIH
06-10-05, 02:15 AM
Bummer. Ok, 2 ways to fix.

Low Buck: Cut both lines off clean, use a minimum amount of rubber fuel line and double clamp the hoses (each clamp 180 degrees out compared to the other) for safety.

The Right Way (high buck): Remove all the fuel line, either go to a boneyard and get one of any other Olds 307 car. Or Get some fuel line, a double flare kit, and a tube bender and make your own. Then while you are at it you can insulate the line with some foam tube insulation. Even larger fuel line will make good insulation. Cooler fuel is more hp.... As well as better resistance to fuel boiling.

The low buck way, use the line to overlap over the lines each way. NHRA rules only allow around 3 inches total (including tank!) of rubber line on a race car. That is a good rule of thumb. Use as little amount as possible for safety.

Too late.... :banghead: