: Dirt bike

dhs
06-07-05, 12:07 AM
I started working on my dirt bike recently, and after taking it apart, I noticed the top of the cylinder was pretty dirty. Would spraying wd40 into the spark plug hole hurt anything on a 2 stroke? By anything I mean would it compromise the lubrication somehow, because as far as I can see, that's the only thing that could possibly be a problem. I think it should be fine, but I just wanted to make sure in case this is a definite no no or something.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-07-05, 12:16 AM
nope its pretty typical to spray wd40 downt he plug hole when you store a 2 stroke , and when you bring on out of storeage ...

whatca got ? i used to have a suzuki rm125 ....i blew the engine trying to get away from a moose in alaska ...i loved it tho , bout as much fun as i had ever had on 2 wheels till i bought my pocket bike a year ago

dhs
06-07-05, 12:52 AM
I have an old honda 200xr and one mountain bike that I mounted a 70cc engine on. I got one of those kits from ebay, so it was relatively easy to put everything on. I'm suprised how much power this little 2 stroke has. I got it so I could bring a freind along and we could all ride with a group of people. You would be suprised how many people stopped and asked me about it. How fast is the pocket bike? I'm thinking of getting one too. Does it have more then one gear? Would be fun to drag race the two. :burn:

D148L0
06-07-05, 10:32 AM
nope its pretty typical to spray wd40 downt he plug hole when you store a 2 stroke , and when you bring on out of storeage ...

:yeah:

And I wanna hear that story, Stoney...

Stoneage_Caddy
06-07-05, 12:49 PM
ahh the moose story ....

I bought my bike used 2 days before this happend ...The only bike i ever had beforeit was a 49cc Tomos Moped ....So never the less to say i had to teach myself how to ride...Bike was used but the engine ran very well. So after a few laps around the parkinglot behind my apartment i decided to head off down the trails behind the base , you know do a little sight seeing....So im hauling ass down this fire trail and i see this big mud puddle coming , i nail it and as i hit the mud puddle i had to grab another gear ....I grabed 6th instaed of 5th and stalled the engine...I instantly got stuck in this mud pit. So im in the middle of the mud kicking this bike over ....It flat wouldnt fire ....So im resting and i look to my left ....Baby moose .....Now when you live in alaska and you see a baby moose YOU ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE....I decided break time was over and it was impertive that i get this bike started ...a few more kicks and here we go ....Unforetunaly this caught the attention of "momma moose" who was 75 yards off to my forward right i managed to get the bike halfway out of the mud pit before getting stuck again....In a panic you rarly think things over ...In a fit of "scared shitless" i pinned the throttle ...Blew the engine .....I ended up ditching my bike and running damn near halfway home ....I bet the moose gave up chanseing me 500 feet after i dtiched but ...you know being scared and all....so halfway home i took a break and sat there for 2 hours , then went back , got my bike and walked it all the way home with a rod hanging out of the crank case ...

The next time i went back in that area was in a lifted suzuki Samuri ...we rolled that thing ...but thats a story for another day ....

powerglide
06-07-05, 12:51 PM
me too....also what the deal with the pocket bike?

Is that thing street legal? Where can you ride it, how many gears, do you just load it in your trunk.....etc etc. I always wanted one, but I think I'm too big (read fat) for it :-)

D148L0
06-07-05, 12:55 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I would have loved to see that!

Stoneage_Caddy
06-07-05, 01:02 PM
if you weigh less than 275 lbs then youll be fine on 95% of the bikes out there , the rest are rated for 300 and up ...

they are far from street legal , i ride in parkinglots and roads in new subdiisions that there are no houses in (there is alot of these in florida)....No gears , well there are some with 4 speed trannys but most have a centrifical clutch ..Mine is supposed to run around 45 mph after all the mods ive done to it , but as the guys at the meet 2 weeks ago saw shes running very sour right now ...more of a fuel issue than anything , along with a very consevitive carb setting ...it fits in the trunk , along with my tool box and battery jump box (i always carry these anymore)...

Ones like mine can now be had foraround 275 bucks or less online ...mine was almost 400 , ecuase i bought mien right at the start of the craze , now there are much more advanced bikes out there , produceing the power out of the box i make after my mods ...

Ive wrapped about 450 bucks into it after the 400 sticker , so theres about 800 bucks of bike in my trunk ...LOL ....cant tell the way it ran 2 weeks ago ...but the guys will see a diffrent animal next time , ive fixed the problem and im working on a additive mixture for the fuel to get the "burn" i want ....

dhs
06-07-05, 08:26 PM
Can you tell me what upgrades you put on it? They would probobly work with my 2 stroke too. I wanted to put a boost bottle on (not nitrous, just empty bottle tapped at the intake), do you know if it does anything? The best thing I have done so far is messing with the combustion chamber, that has made it run a whole lot better. Also did you see those mini choppers that sell for about the same price as the pocket bikes?

Stoneage_Caddy
06-07-05, 10:57 PM
boost bottles are a bit of a opinion deal ...years ago when they came out it was for 2 stroke dirtbikes (like mid 1970s), i belive for the non reed inducted flavor of engines...and thye made pretty nice gains.....nowadays with the reed engines and everything im not positive they work ...doesnt stop outlets from selling them . if the price is reasonable its worth a try ...

like you did, messing with the chambers is the best bet , gotta be careful , messing with ports is kinda tricky , can easily screw with the timing of the engine doing this ...

and yup , we even have a few members here that sell those choppers , i belive 04silverext sells them , they just dont look like as much fun to me (ie handleing)

dhs
06-14-05, 03:58 AM
Hey stoneage, do you know any tricks to getting more air into the engine? The bike ran perfect at 55-60 F, but now that it's getting close to 100 here in Chicago, so the air will be less dense. I'm opening the air box some and generally trying to make it easier for the engine to suck in air. I was thinking of boring out the carb a little. Do you think that's a good idea? I wanted to avoid changing jets because it's going to have less power.

D148L0
06-14-05, 10:44 AM
Hey stoneage, do you know any tricks to getting more air into the engine? The bike ran perfect at 55-60 F, but now that it's getting close to 100 here in Chicago, so the air will be less dense. I'm opening the air box some and generally trying to make it easier for the engine to suck in air. I was thinking of boring out the carb a little. Do you think that's a good idea? I wanted to avoid changing jets because it's going to have less power.
In 2 stroke engines more air does not equal more power, unless the jetting is proportional to it.
IMO, boring the carb would require a jet adjustment at the very least, and most likely would screw it. Even the air box can require a jetting adjustment when modified.