: Another newcomer to the board

geigs
10-29-03, 10:43 AM
Hi all,
Iím new to Cadillac and to GM. I recently purchased a 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville from my wifeís grandmother. It has 45,000 miles on it and as you can guess, it is in great shape. Itís dark blue leather over white and has a dark blue carriage roof treatment. The Caddy will be replacing my 1994 Eagle Vision TSI, which has 118,000 miles on it. What amazes me about Caddy is how different it looks and feels from the Eagle, although they are both from the same year. I realize they were designed with different consumers in mind, but there are a lot nice details in the Eagle that are lacking in the Cadillac such as backlit window and lock controls, reading lights, a coolant temperature gauge, a compass, and steering wheel mounted cruise control to name a few. Donít misunderstand, I think the Caddy is great; Iím just surprised. It took me a couple weeks to get used to not having a coolant temperature gauge, as I like to drive gently while itís warming up.
One plus of having the Caddy is that there is this great community here on this message board. I was DOA on finding any community for the Eagle. I do have a lot of questions about the Caddy, so plan to see more postings from me in the near future. Thank you in advance for all your support and feedback. Itís nice to have a place to go where people express pride in ownership.

JJhomer83
10-30-03, 09:04 AM
Hi all,
Iím new to Cadillac and to GM. I recently purchased a 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville from my wifeís grandmother. It has 45,000 miles on it and as you can guess, it is in great shape. Itís dark blue leather over white and has a dark blue carriage roof treatment. The Caddy will be replacing my 1994 Eagle Vision TSI, which has 118,000 miles on it. What amazes me about Caddy is how different it looks and feels from the Eagle, although they are both from the same year. I realize they were designed with different consumers in mind, but there are a lot nice details in the Eagle that are lacking in the Cadillac such as backlit window and lock controls, reading lights, a coolant temperature gauge, a compass, and steering wheel mounted cruise control to name a few. Donít misunderstand, I think the Caddy is great; Iím just surprised. It took me a couple weeks to get used to not having a coolant temperature gauge, as I like to drive gently while itís warming up.
One plus of having the Caddy is that there is this great community here on this message board. I was DOA on finding any community for the Eagle. I do have a lot of questions about the Caddy, so plan to see more postings from me in the near future. Thank you in advance for all your support and feedback. Itís nice to have a place to go where people express pride in ownership.

WELCOME To the forums.
Glad to have you on board.
About the temp gage. If you hit the info button it should tell you what it is running at. If not you can tell by where the tach is at idle.
Start firing away with the questions and we would love to help

the Sandman
10-30-03, 09:14 AM
Hey geigs - Welcome to the CadillacForums! Congratulations on the new (for you) Caddy - sounds nice. Make sure the recommended maintenance is performed and she should treat you fine. It sounds like some of the options boxes weren't checked when that one was ordered - I think many of the features you mentioned were available if desired.

Thanks for registering! BTW, can you tell us about your Avatar?

geigs
10-30-03, 02:47 PM
Hey geigs - Welcome to the CadillacForums! Congratulations on the new (for you) Caddy - sounds nice. Make sure the recommended maintenance is performed and she should treat you fine. It sounds like some of the options boxes weren't checked when that one was ordered - I think many of the features you mentioned were available if desired.

Thanks for registering! BTW, can you tell us about your Avatar?

That's the strange thing with GM products, why should standard features on even the most basic car be an option on a luxury car? I remember test driving a Corsica (I know it’s not a luxury car, but I need an example) in the early Nineties and they had an optional dashboard that had a full gauge cluster for an additional $300. Wouldn't it be more cost effective for GM to just offer a standard dash? This is how the Japanese were able to make inroads by offering remote gas lid releases and rear defrosters as standard equipment. I thought Detroit had caught on, but now you have the Ford F150 offering three optional dashboards for the truck. But I digress, sorry. The avatar is actually a picture of my Caddy taken in front of my garage. I used a Cannon digital camera and tried to capture the taillight and the rear quarter panel. Then using Photoshop Plus, I simply altered the colors around to block out the distractions. I did the same thing with the following picture of a 59 Caddy taillight that was taken at this year's Hershey car show.

geigs
10-30-03, 03:03 PM
WELCOME To the forums.
Glad to have you on board.
About the temp gage. If you hit the info button it should tell you what it is running at. If not you can tell by where the tach is at idle.
Start firing away with the questions and we would love to help

Thanks, but the info center doesn't seem to be very informational. I've got gallons used, timer, average fuel economy, average miles per hour, % of oil life left, and instant fuel economy. The other thing that is a little interesting is that the fuel gauge displays how many gallons that car currently has in the tank such as 10, 9, etc..so unless you know exactly how many gallons that tank holds, you'd be in the dark and even if you do (18), when you go to fill up, say it reads 10, you end up adding 11 gallons to it, which is three over the limit, you'd have to come to the conclusion that the Cadillac works in strange and mysterious ways. And I thought Saabs were idiosyncratic.