: Offshore, GM soars with Chevy brand

HotRodSaint
06-06-05, 11:13 AM
While GM sliced third-quarter North American production by 100,000 units, it increased Asian production forecasts by 100,000 units. (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=53372)

GM sales in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America have grown this year. And its engine for growth is Chevrolet, the venerable high-volume brand that has enjoyed a rebirth overseas.

While GM is trimming its product lineup for slow-growth brands such as Buick and Pontiac, it has expanded the Chevrolet line. The automaker has rebranded Daewoo-built cars and trucks as Chevrolets, and those vehicles are finding a market overseas.

<snip>

Meanwhile, GM wants to purchase an assembly plant in India to produce a minicar based on the Daewoo Matiz.

GM insiders brag that Daewoo is their version of Hyundai Motor Co. - an automaker with a relentless ambition to expand. Before GM acquired the company, Daewoo ran into trouble when it expanded too quickly.

But now GM hopes to exploit that corporate culture to compete in the world's fastest-growing markets. "There is a real sense of urgency on the part of the management team," says GM spokesman Jay Cooney. "This opportunity doesn't come along very often."

fleetwood76
06-06-05, 03:11 PM
Hello
I can understand the reason to expand the Chevrolet brand with Daewoo built cars in some markets, but in sweden i think that most people think of big cars when they think of Chevrolet. Cars like the Impalas or the Caprice and in later years, Transport and big pickup's. I visited my nearest GM dealer a cuople of months ago and it was kind of strange to see both a Daewoo and a chevrolet, identical, besides the badges and a minor different grille. So i think that in sweden it will take a while until the rebadged Daewoo's is considered a Chevy.

jolle

adam_mcd
06-06-05, 08:03 PM
i couldnt name one new chevy that id buy in america..

davesdeville
06-06-05, 09:33 PM
I could. Like Cobalt if I were in the market for a compact. 06 Impala SS or Monte Carlo SS if I were in the market for a bit of performance. Naturally Corvette... Chevy Trucks are still top notch.

ben72227
06-06-05, 10:55 PM
The Cobalt is better than the Cavalier for sure, but its still not refined enough to compete with the big boys (or little boys, since we're talking about compacts:lildevil: ). The Mazda3 and the Ford Focus (along with the classic Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla) still dominate this market, and for good reason too. I'd say that the Cobalt will be up to that level when they redesign/refreshen it in a few years though...

The Impala is okay I guess, but it still has that lame ass GM interior that makes the Chevy's look so tacky and retro. I mean, it was cool in 1985, not 2005. It certainly doesn't come close to the Camry or even to domestics like the Chrysler 300 and the Ford 500. Maybe the SS version will be okay though...

The Vette is (as usual) excellent. If Chevy put as much effort into their other cars as they do the Vette, they would probably have some market leaders on their hands.

And of course, Chevy trucks are always great, but they could always be better, especially now that Honda has taken the throne of trucks with their first try.:lildevil:

HotRodSaint
06-06-05, 11:10 PM
The 2006 HHR looks kinda interesting. Let's see if it get's recalled.

davesdeville
06-07-05, 07:08 AM
especially now that Honda has taken the throne of trucks with their first try.:lildevil:

:rolleyes2