: Finally, Chrysler brand to build its first SUV

HotRodSaint
06-06-05, 11:06 AM
Next summer, Chrysler plans to introduce its first sport utility vehicle as part of a major rollout of new models in 2006 aimed at building on the automaker's recent turnaround. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/06/A01-205249.htm)

The SUV will be based on the current, seven-seat Dodge Durango but will be more upscale and is expected to debut at the Detroit auto show in January, said a Chrysler official familiar with the plan.

The project signals Chrysler remains bullish on the large SUV market despite a recent thaw in demand for big, truck-based SUVs such as the Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia.

Chrysler could face challenges in putting its middle-market Chrysler brand up against established luxury marques such as Cadillac, Volvo and Lincoln. But the automaker's recent success in pitching its new 300 sedan as upscale yet affordable suggests the automaker may have cracked the code for entering richer segments, said Jeremy Anwyl, president of Edmunds.com, a Santa Monica, Calif.-based Web site that offers car-buying advice.

"If they took that formula into the luxury SUV category ... they would probably have a good story for the marketplace," Anwyl said.

Chrysler plans to resurrect a vehicle name from DaimlerChrysler's past for the new SUV and is planning to build the model at a plant in Newark, Del., where the Durango is assembled, the Chrysler source said.

Because the Durango was just redesigned and the costs of launching a totally new vehicle are high, it is unlikely that the Chrysler-badged SUV will look much different from Durango. Analysts expect to see a different front grille and headlights, a more refined interior and possibly a different tailgate.

Msilva954
06-06-05, 01:01 PM
hmm..wonder what name they are planing to use...if they do as difffernt on that model as the 300 is to the magnum then itll be a pretty damn good SUV..style wise..and the durango isnt that bad of a SUV to begin with...

if its big enough they could just call it the New Yorker

radbag
06-06-05, 01:25 PM
any pics out yet on this?

Sandy
06-06-05, 06:35 PM
Either IMPERIAL -or- Town & Country ~ ~

Elvis
06-06-05, 07:02 PM
If ANYBODY other than Dodge had made something comparable to the Magnum or the Pacifica, I woud've bought it.

I really like those looks but I have a serious aversion to all things Mopar.

adam_mcd
06-06-05, 07:58 PM
make a bigger pacifica and call it the imperial...imperials a good name

davesdeville
06-06-05, 09:29 PM
I don't like the idea of calling an SUV Imperial any more than I like the rebadged F150 Lincoln calls Mark LT. The Durango used to be OK, but the latest models are downright FUGLY. They better make it look nice.

HotRodSaint
06-06-05, 11:29 PM
Either IMPERIAL -or- Town & Country ~ ~

Town & Country would have been perfect, if it wasn't already used on their mini-van.

But since they do like to reuse old names (and I like that too), they could use CORDOBA, NEWPORT, WINDSOR, SARATOGA, or ROYAL.

I like them all, except Royal.

I think Saratoga, or Newport sound best.

Jesda
06-06-05, 11:54 PM
The ARIES!

I kid, I kid.

Boombotz
06-07-05, 08:27 AM
I hate Chrysler. Before my lade I had the Dodge Durango and it sucked. I traded it in for my caddy and went upside down 7k's to do it. It was the best thing I could have ever done. That thing had all types of issues, but the worst was the brakes that they somehow could never find the problem with. I bought it new and had nothing but problems with it. The customer service was terrible. Not to mention how quickly Chryslers depriciate. I just wonder if this SUV is going to be as ugly as the new durango. The new cars look decent so maybe it won't look to bad, Who knows all I know is it will most likely be just as much of a piece of s*** as the rest of them.

Playdrv4me
06-08-05, 01:26 PM
They better not use the Imperial badge on an SUV.

Sandy
06-08-05, 03:17 PM
I agree!!

I wish Chrysler would pull out all stops, toss $$$ to the wind, and build an Imperial worthy of the name, once again.

davesdeville
06-08-05, 06:46 PM
The 300C is worthy of the Imperial name IMO, but anything above that is in the Mercedes market so it's not gonna happen.

fast66
06-08-05, 07:43 PM
I hate Chrysler. Before my lade I had the Dodge Durango and it sucked. I traded it in for my caddy and went upside down 7k's to do it. It was the best thing I could have ever done. That thing had all types of issues, but the worst was the brakes that they somehow could never find the problem with. I bought it new and had nothing but problems with it.

Did you have loud noises coming from your rear brakes when cold? my brother had that problem on his durango for years and they could never solve it. I tihnk it was poorly made brakes.

Boombotz
06-08-05, 10:24 PM
No never had any loud noises. My problem was the thing would just not stop. Had it checked and was told over and over there was no problem. When your only doing 40 and try to stop for a light and the truck just slides through it you knew there's an issue. Though with all the times I almost rear ended another car and took the thing in there they could not find a problem. I put in a complaint as high up the ladder that I could, and still nothing was ever resolved. When my daughter was born I just didn't care what anybody said, or how much money I had to eat this truck was unsafe and unrealiable it was time to trade in. I will never under any circumstances buy a Chrysler again!!! If I got one for free I would sell it. They had the worst customer service, not to mention the ride of the durango sucks. It looked ok, but that was it. Sorry to sit and B**ch, but this is a real bad subject for me.

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 12:02 PM
The 300C is worthy of the Imperial name IMO, but anything above that is in the Mercedes market so it's not gonna happen.

I'd go for a stretched version of the 300C as an Imperial. Or how about a pimp version, designed by P. Diddy called an Imperial?

But you are right, it will never happen as long as Mercedes is part of the family.

Sandy
06-09-05, 05:09 PM
Somehow, I don't see the Benz buyer being interested in an Imperial, not do I see an Imperial buyer being interested in a Benz. I think they appeal to two different groups. I don't see much cross-shopping of the two.
Do you ??

HotRodSaint
06-09-05, 09:08 PM
I don't see much cross-shopping of the two.
Do you ??

I think some of the people putting 22's on the 300C, might have considered a Benz a few years ago.

HotRodSaint
06-17-05, 10:03 AM
Drum roll please.....

...and the name is ASPEN! :yup:

So does that mean we can expect them to offer a Dodge Barracuda one day? :thumbsup:

The name underscores Chrysler's aim to position the vehicle -- like the Colorado ski town -- as both rugged and upscale. The name Aspen was enthusiastically approved when Chrysler tested it with consumers. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0506/17/C01-218735.htm)

Playdrv4me
06-17-05, 11:53 AM
Not bad.

Jesda
06-17-05, 04:09 PM
Aspen... thats pretty darn good! Sounds very outgoing-ish.

D148L0
06-17-05, 04:28 PM
It makes sense. Nice name for an SUV.

davesdeville
06-17-05, 08:25 PM
That's definately a great name for an upscale SUV. Now if we can see what it looks like... cause if it's as fugly as the current minivan I mean SUV Durango it won't catch on.

HotRodSaint
06-18-05, 12:59 PM
That's definately a great name for an upscale SUV. Now if we can see what it looks like... cause if it's as fugly as the current minivan I mean SUV Durango it won't catch on.

It's sad. The Durango looks good from behind. It's those headlights that ruin the whole design.

So hopefully a new front replaces the Durango, while leaving the rear.