: No coolant supplement pellets available here.

Palmer29
06-05-05, 07:03 PM
I live in bumf*ck and no one around here even knows what I'm talking about when I mention to them the coolant supplement pellets. They're not available.

So my question is, on a '98 4.6 Northstar engine, can I simply substitute Prestone "Stops Leaks" for the pellets?

JimD
06-05-05, 07:20 PM
Do you have access to a Wal-Mart? They usually carry product G12BP on this page http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html

Use two tubes with a coolant change; put the powder in a hose (not the surge tank).

Palmer29
06-05-05, 07:56 PM
That's handy information, thanks.

Now, here's the actual problem I'm having that has precipitated all of this:
The surge tank keeps kicking the coolant out after a few minutes of driving. There had been a gasket leak around the thermostat, which I replaced. No leak there anymore, but it's still kicking coolant out of the overflow hose on the surge tank. It runs at between 196 and 210 driving around town here with a mix of 45 mph and stoplight driving.

Any ideas?

JimD
06-05-05, 08:27 PM
Your temperatures are within the "normal" range (my fans do not kick on until ~~ 220 with A/C off).

Has the coolant been refreshed per the 100,000 mile or 5 year schedule?

Is the coolant level in the tank maybe a little too high?

STS 310
06-05-05, 09:17 PM
Check your coolant level, it should be 2" from the top. After that there could be other culprits. Keep your eye on the temp reading, as you dont want an "overheat". There are several things that can cause your problem, someone else on the board can elaborate.

If your temp gets in the red, SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY. A high thermal cycle may compramise the headgasket which you DO NOT WANT.

Spyder
06-06-05, 12:15 AM
I thought I had a problem after I put a new motor in, cause it kept dumping out...I was just overfilling the coolant tank... Mine stays about 4 inches from the top...not the one or two that everyone else's seems to like.

Leloz
06-06-05, 01:28 AM
There was a guy who used to sell them on ebay for $5.00 a package. I bought three packages from him before, but this was over 6 months ago.

Spyder
06-06-05, 01:47 AM
Hey, if you paypal me enough to cover the shipping and two of the tubes, I think they're like a buck ninety each...I'll run around the corner to wal mart, get a pair of them and send them to you...

Palmer29
06-06-05, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I can get to a Walmart so I'll grab some Bars while I'm there.

As for the coolant kicking out, here's what I've formulated as a plan based on what you all have suggested:

1) Try removing the thermostat and running the engine up to normal operating temp. If the thermostat is faulty, the back pressure will be relieved.

2) If that doesn't work, remove the bottom hose and inspect it for clogging.

3) If the bottom hose isn't clogged, replace the pressure cap.

How does that sound to you all?

Ranger
06-06-05, 12:09 PM
Also make sure the purge line is open and flowing. That is the line that runs from the water pump to the surge tank. It should have coolant flowing anytime the engine is running.