: Tire Suggestions for '93 FWB?

caddycruiser
06-05-05, 05:58 PM
Well, the Atlas Pinnacles that were on my '93 FWD when we bought it are just about done for and I'm more than ready to toss the noisy, worn buggers. What have any of you with the stock 15" wheels gone with?

This isn't an everyday car, so I don't want to go with something like tip top and Michelins, etc., but do want something that will be a LOT quieter than the ones I have now, ride better, and maybe even make the car feel a little crisper in turns.

Another thing is size. The 235-70-15's are factory, but our Roadmaster had taller 235-75-15's on it when we bought it and we keep going back and fourth on whether or not to go with the slightly larger sidewall on the Caddy. As of late, my father doesn't want to put the 75's on anymore because he "thinks they might just look too big", and wants to stick with the 70's.

Any suggestions on brand/model and size without spending a ton of money?

carguy16
06-05-05, 06:24 PM
Right now, I have Michelin XW4's and a Michelin XW1 I think?? I know I have 4 Michelins, but only 3 are the same brand. At any rate, they are good QUIET tires, how ever I dont know how good traction is...

I have never hydroplaned with them...But, I have never had any other tires on the Fleetwood, so its hard to compare and contrast. If I brake to hard the front tires do lock up, so yes, I would ALWAYS try and get the bigger tire for more traction, I want to get bigger tires, but I really dont want to get more rims. As far as locking up goes, on the interstate yesterday for example:

Im following about 40-50 feet behind another, were doing about 55-60 miles per hour, i see some brake lights come on, I start braking hard and im holding the pedal at the same level, around 40 MPH the front wheels start TRYING to lock up!!! I dont know if its because the tires, but more then likely the fact that one of my calipers is not doing much, it would make sense why lock up can come easier...

Get bigger tires, I tried looking for Michelin Hydroedges for the Fleetwood, but was un-able to find them. Can we get Pirellis? I know they are cheap, but I heard they are a really good tire? Input anyone?

Well, the Atlas Pinnacles that were on my '93 FWD when we bought it are just about done for and I'm more than ready to toss the noisy, worn buggers. What have any of you with the stock 15" wheels gone with?

This isn't an everyday car, so I don't want to go with something like tip top and Michelins, etc., but do want something that will be a LOT quieter than the ones I have now, ride better, and maybe even make the car feel a little crisper in turns.

Another thing is size. The 235-70-15's are factory, but our Roadmaster had taller 235-75-15's on it when we bought it and we keep going back and fourth on whether or not to go with the slightly larger sidewall on the Caddy. As of late, my father doesn't want to put the 75's on anymore because he "thinks they might just look too big", and wants to stick with the 70's.

Any suggestions on brand/model and size without spending a ton of money?

shreddedtires
06-05-05, 08:49 PM
Look in the driver door jamb for the stock tire size. Use that tire size, with the prescribed air pressure, but look for a decent tire like Cooper Lifeliners. They handle great and don't cost a lot. They are cheapest in my city, but the Cooper tire factory is in my city. That might have a little to do with the price around here.

ShadowLvr400
06-05-05, 09:40 PM
I made a switch, like I always do, trying to get more traction, and sacrificing some ride quality for it. I left the Mastercraft 235 70 15 stockers, and jumped to a 255 65 15 Pirelli Scorpion Zero's. They're an on-road sport truck tire that ride relatively well actually, grip quite well, and resist hydroplaning extremely well. I'll jump to a different size when I do new wheels (likely 17's up front, 18's in rear) but as for tires, I think these do rather well... Oh, they look huge and kinda gnarly on the car, a little out of place since the car is still stock, but I plan on changing that too.

caddycruiser
06-05-05, 10:37 PM
Some interesting points to ponder....

We'll probably just stick to the stock size, like I had said before. There's a really honest, low-priced tire place we've used several times in the past to get stuff mounted and/or balanced, and we'll probably go there to buy the new Fleetwood tires too.

The goal is to get something pretty inexpensive but still of decent quality that will fit the FW's boaty driving feel well, and hopefully make it a little quieter and smoother. Right now, Coopers and Yokohamas are probably high on the list of possibilities, in addition to a few "off" brands.

N0DIH
06-05-05, 11:05 PM
Will 275 60 15's fit? I love to look, but not sure if they will fit the FWB. Or does it need a taller aspect ratio like 275 70 15's?

ShadowLvr400
06-05-05, 11:47 PM
Nodih, a 275 will be too wide. My 255's rub a little bit through the turns on the removable skirts. Not much, or enough to do damage, but 275's would probably not allow you to have the skirts on.

caddycruiser
07-08-05, 10:28 PM
Well, after one of the four old Atlas Pinnacle's that were on the car when we bought it literally exploded on Monday when I was driving home from the store, we realized it REALLY was time for new tires.

Did some research on tirerack.com and decided to stay with the stock size whitewalls. Ended up finding out the Kumho 795 Touring A/S's were pretty much the best rated and highest quality, for the lowest price. Preferred buying them and getting them ordered at our local tire shop, so called them up to see what they had and luckily, the same Kumho's were 1 of 2 whitewalls they could get in the right size.

Paid $76 a piece (included mounting and balancing) and after all 4, had one of the current Pinnacle's put on our spare wheel, so the grand total was $319. I haven't driven the car yet (my father had them put on and drove it home), but they look very nice and are clearly very high quality, and have a treadwear rating of 560 so they should last quite a while.

I may take it out for a little spin tomorrow, or Sunday if I don't get a chance, and will post my reactions on how they do.

N0DIH
07-09-05, 01:55 AM
I put a set of the Pep Boys house brand "Futura" tires (the 70K "LTE" mile tires and the 80K "SE" touring set). Both were excellent touring tires, and very quiet. Look for the irregular random side blocks, that is where most of the noise comes from. They both lasted a long time, good treadwear.

These tires are made by Cooper for Pep Boys. When I got them they were $200 for all 4. Ended up like $260 including tax, crappy gov fees and mounting/balancing.

These were on my old 91 Bonneville, not my FWB.

caddycruiser
07-09-05, 08:30 PM
Yeah, my dad has a relatively recent set of Cornell 735 whitewalls that were "Pep Boys specials". Before he bought the car, the last person must have just thrown them on so the car had a fresh set of tires. They don't seem bad, but are clearly not the best and tend to sing a bit on pavement and now are starting to dry out strangely in between the treads. But, they're only 35k warranty tires and $35 to buy new each, so I would never expect much.

The Kumho's we just put on the Fleetwood seem VERY nice though, just like all the reviews said. Not only look great and fill out the wheel wells better (which, I guess, is because they actually HAVE tread on them...), but the car seemed to ride A LOT better and felt more stable, even when I just took it out for a low-speed cruise around our development. My father thought it was considerably quieter too, when he drove it home. They have a 70k warranty, so they should be around a while.

The only other whitewall the shop had in the factory size were "Winstons", which they said were made by Goodyear (a.k.a Crapyear/Badyear in a lot of cases), but so far, we're very glad to have gone with the Korean-made Kumho's. :thumbsup:

theGman
07-09-05, 10:15 PM
Have you guys ever noticed that when buying tires with the longest wear rating that, after a number of years, even though there is still plenty of tread left, that the tires get "glazed over" and traction is down?

I have noticed this a lot over the past 30+ years, and a few years ago decided to go with a less "hi mileage" tire, because of that fact that they get glazed, etc. so I would be changing them before their time anyway.

Am I the only one?

caddycruiser
07-10-05, 02:21 PM
Just went for a ride, and these things are AWESOME. Took it down a tar and chip road near the house where the old tires used to roar, and there was barely a whisper of anything except the engine inside. Same was true once I got to the main road and smooth pavement--silky, yet crisp ride and silent.

It's still only been a few days, but I'd already recommend these Kumho's to anyone looking for replacement tires in the stock Fleetwood size. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: