: Cylinder head bolt replacement

jerry23
12-14-13, 05:02 PM
I believe that I have head bolts that have failed and according to what I have read on the this site my coolant loss is the result of coolant leaking into the cylinders because ofthese bolts. My question to the group is if there is a way to replace the bolts without pulling the engine. Doing the job with the engine in place would take much longer but I am in no hurry at this point. Any thoughts? My Seville has 160k miles and is a 99.

Tailfin
12-14-13, 05:06 PM
I just did that...take a look at my thread just below here. Read the whole thing though...I encountered an error in the FSM and in my last post, I specifically mentioned some things regarding your question.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/417537-torquing-n-head.html

Submariner409
12-14-13, 05:12 PM
...... and read through the sticky posts just above. You'll need the info.

Inserts from above - yes. Studs, no.

MoistCabbage
12-14-13, 05:17 PM
Short answer - You cannot STUD the block with the engine in place.

You can INSERT the block with the engine in place, but it's not recommended. It's much more difficult to drill and tap the block with it still in the car. If you mess it up, the engine is junk.

jerry23
12-14-13, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the replies. I don't suppose there is a way to raise the engine high enough to get the clearance needed to drill for the new studs?

MoistCabbage
12-14-13, 05:40 PM
The problem isn't height, it's the clearance between the engine and firewall.

jerry23
12-14-13, 05:57 PM
Got it. I will continue to research to make sure I want to do this. Thank You again.

CadillacLuke24
12-15-13, 01:33 AM
Ideally you'd get an engine hoist, disconnect the subframe/engine/trans from the rest of the car (with a pallet jack underneath the subframe), use the hoist to lift the front end of the car high enough, and then wheel the subframe and contents out from underneath.

Good luck.

04GrandAmGT
12-16-13, 09:48 AM
it is possible to do the studs in the car (we have had a few customers do it) its just the fact you might as well pull the motor because its about the same amount of time and probably a little less effort.

JoeTahoe
12-18-13, 10:53 AM
How in the !!!! Did they stud it in the car. I would love to see pics of that

04GrandAmGT
12-18-13, 03:19 PM
i would have like to too, from what i understood they unbolted the mounts and twisted then whole engine and tranny