: Some things to post about

carguy16
06-04-05, 08:16 PM
Well, I noticed I have an exhaust leak getting bigger on the driver side, when I open the door with the engine running, I can hear it really good, I sound like a Chevy truck with a 350 idling, also, could this cause a jump in horse power??

The reason I ask, in the sweet spot band, punching it around 25 MPH, I noticed that my tire spins more then usual, and it seemed a little more peppy then normal.

I was also shocked getting on the interstate today in raining weather that I activated the traction control at 38 MPH, and that wasnt under wide open throttle and I was going in a straight line, so I was kinda like WTF???? I was probably at least at half throttle.

AElayyat
06-05-05, 01:15 AM
Well, I noticed I have an exhaust leak getting bigger on the driver side, when I open the door with the engine running, I can hear it really good, I sound like a Chevy truck with a 350 idling, also, could this cause a jump in horse power??

The reason I ask, in the sweet spot band, punching it around 25 MPH, I noticed that my tire spins more then usual, and it seemed a little more peppy then normal.

I was also shocked getting on the interstate today in raining weather that I activated the traction control at 38 MPH, and that wasnt under wide open throttle and I was going in a straight line, so I was kinda like WTF???? I was probably at least at half throttle.

To the best of my knowledge, an exhaust leak will cause you to loose power.

davesdeville
06-05-05, 03:39 AM
It won't do much either way for power. I can't see it costing you any unless maybe it's in the exhaust manifold and screwing up the flow in there, but if it's in the pipe itself it won't hurt power. It won't gain much either though. It's just an another annoying thing that happens to used cars.

ocjmakaveli
06-05-05, 06:05 AM
well to the best of my knowledge it should increase your power output in the same way that a magnaflow exhaust system would increase power by creating less resistance in the air flow exiting you engine.

easier air flow out of your engine = more hp This is a fact

this is why race cars dont have exhaust systems they only have tubes leading the exhaust away but not catalytic converters or mufflers because these combined restrict air flow causing a loss in Hp

hopefully someone else can chime in to back me up

davesdeville
06-05-05, 06:27 AM
Thing is unless it's a really bad leak, which would be incredibly loud, it won't release enough exhaust to make a real differance.

HotRodSaint
06-05-05, 09:54 AM
To the best of my knowledge, I have no frickin idea! :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have read here, that exhaust leaks are a common issue.

I don't have one yet, but my gas gauge finallly succumbed to being all but useless last week. Another common issue I read here.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's Here! (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/289674/1?cat=25&val=1)