: Car Stereo

djaeby
06-04-05, 10:07 AM
My plan was to replace the stereo ASAP so I went to this place, Sound Advice, to see what my options were. They have a kit so there won't be a gaping hole in the dash .. they said $90 [installed] I think. PLUS whatever stereo I decide to buy. Right now there is a cassette player and am/fm and to tell the truth, it sounds GREAT .. First I worry that the sound might not be as nice when I put in something other than the factory unit. Don't want the iPOD .. I bought something that will let me connect a walkman type unit .. but then you have all those dangling wires. So I don't like that option - ok for a temporary fix.

I put a cassette in the player that a friend made for me. He has a recording studio, and YEARS and YEARS ago he put lots of music on tape for me, studio quality tape, and the sound was EXCELLENT in the Caddy. One tape that I listened to was recorded in quad sound .. I could almost swear that in the caddy I was able to hear the sound travel around me, is that possible??

The idea of taking all my cds and putting them on tape is out of the question.

I considered putting a large CD changer in the trunk. Wondering what others are doing. FOR SURE I want a unit that plays MP3 .. does caddy sell one ? If so I bet it is a lot of $$$$$$

derrty_deville
06-04-05, 05:14 PM
go pioneer dehp-3700mp. but goto walmart. install kit will cost 10 for the wire harness and 13 for the wood grain install kit they have. the deck is usually on sale there too. its not rocket science as most may think, just connecting a few wires and screwing in a install kit

96whipcream
06-05-05, 10:52 PM
Im afraid its not that easy, at least in my situation. my 96 deville had to have a special amp/converter to make it play through the speakers right.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-06-05, 07:01 AM
if its not a bose system, my 96 was very easy granted i have alot of experience with car audio but it was as straight forward as my girls civic. except the accessory and power wires the stock unit uses are not what you need for a aftermarket piece. with a multimeter and some patience you can easily find the wires you need for power right under the steering column. ive seen in the forum here u can get a special harness that make a bose system a snap too but i dont know about that

djaeby
06-06-05, 10:36 AM
If it is a bose, does it say so on the radio before removing it? It sounds great regardless. I tried the CD walkman in the ciggie lighter .. Sounded so bad I wanted to throw the walkman out of the window . .but it was 50 bucks .. it is going back to the store tonight ..

derrty_deville
06-06-05, 10:52 AM
should say on the deck if it is. im not sure because i was fortunate enough to never get a bose system

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-06-05, 11:27 AM
My Sediment Exactly Derrty. Every Car Ive Ever Owned I Always Look For One With The Cheapest Stereo Rims Etc. So Its Easier To Mod And Its Cheaper Overall Why Pay For A Nice Stock Stereo When Your Gonna Replace It.

nirv117
06-28-05, 04:59 PM
I did the same thing when I got my Deville - New stereo.

I put in an Alpine CDA 9855, JL Audio XR components in the front and JL VR 6X9 in the back powered by a JL 300/4 amp, and a JL 13W7 Sub powered with a JL 1000/1 amp. Plus a second battery, 10 Farad capicitor, and a 220 Amp Alternator.

It sounds so sweet, and looks sweet too. BIG PIMPIN!

pntbll687
06-28-05, 08:00 PM
I put in a pioneer DEH-P3600 in my 95 days after i bought it. It sounds great! I'm in the process of installing my subs, i got two 12's in a bandpass box, and a sony 1200 watt amp. I got the amp and subs wired together but haven't had time to run the power wire yet. I'll post pics when i get it done, probly later this week. I don't know whether I'm gonna hook up the neon ights that are on the sub box.

toneout
06-28-05, 08:08 PM
Alpine head unit, Alpine 6 CD changer, Infinity Reference Plates in rear and components in the doors. Sounds real good. Subs are next, real soon.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-28-05, 09:35 PM
nirv 117, why would you use a capacitor if you have a xtra battery? the battery is like having 10+ capacitors.

96CADDYDEVILLE
06-28-05, 09:40 PM
to date i have alpine cd mp3 h.u. in, mb quart components in front, mb plates in rear runnin of a xtant 603x (with the pqm module and other assorted goodies, and 1 12" jl w6 (sealed box) runnin off a alpine v12 digi amp, i bumped up the voltage a little with a power line driver (very nice feature). sounds nice, i like how solid these cars are no need for dynamat there is no trunck funk.

nirv117
06-29-05, 02:26 PM
The battery is so I can play the stereo with the engine off for longer. The cap delivers instant power for quick hitting bass. When a battery delivers quick power is drops its voltage, which can wear out a battery. The cap is designed for that. Also I have the other battery from another car stereo install, and figured I'd put it to use.

10 Farad is overkill, but I wanted to make sure I had enough in case I ever want to add more. I mean it is a cadillac...