: New Wheel

DopeStar 156
06-04-05, 02:10 AM
I just bought this puppy (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4552872132&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT) for a clean $20 to replace my cracked wheel. Any tips on installing this thing? I'm just swapping wheels, keeping the horn pad and everything.

davesdeville
06-04-05, 04:01 AM
The spring compressor for when you reinstall a wheel sometimes doesn't play nice with the damn telescoping wheel feature. When I replaced the ignition cyl in my 78 Fleetwood I had to set a 4x4 board between the B pillars and use a bottle jack to compress the spring since I had a badly pulled back muscle and couldn't just force it to compress.

brougham
06-04-05, 03:53 PM
ALl you have to do to take off the steering wheel is take off the horn pad and take the nut off that's underneath it and then use a puller to get the wheel off. I don't know what extra stuff you have to do because of the telescoping wheel part. It should say what to do for that in your service manual.

DopeStar 156
06-05-05, 12:43 AM
I think the pages for that are missing from my manual. There's a section on the steering column that I can't seem to find. There's no evidence of torn out pages though.......strange.....

The Ape Man
06-05-05, 08:58 AM
If you have the telescope deal then you have to remove the 3 little screws that hold the telescope lever to the round gizmo. You unscrew the round gizmo thingy from the column shaft. After that it is just as simple as an optionless car. You just need a steering wheel puller. Many harmonic balancer puller sets have enough parts for this job. When you put it back together just tighten the nut a little and go for a short ride down a straight road with no crown so you can make sure that the wheel is clocked properly. It is easy to mess up. Be careful during this road test as the telescope will not be locked and the wheel will go where you pull it. After you are sure then tighten the nut and put all the other stuff back.

DopeStar 156
06-05-05, 12:43 PM
Cool, sounds simple enough. I can't wait to get my new wheel. Where would i get a puller from?

N0DIH
06-05-05, 03:27 PM
Autozone rents them for free (just have to pay deposit), or you can buy one for $10-$20. They are handy to have around.

shreddedtires
06-05-05, 07:45 PM
I've rented tools from AutoZone many times! I used one of their steering wheel pullers to put the chrome chain steering wheel in my truck. I think the deposit for that about 5 years ago was $12. I'm not sure what they rent for now...

DopeStar 156
06-05-05, 11:43 PM
What kind of pain in the ass is this to do with the teloscopic wheel? Would it benefit to pull the telescopic column out all the way?

davesdeville
06-06-05, 01:26 AM
I know the spring compressor didn't work because of the telescoping wheel but I can't remember if the tool that helps put the actual wheel back on had problems or not. I do know that on my 78, the wheel and the steering column had 2 marks that lined up to make sure the wheel was on straight so you wouldn't need to do the road test that The Ape Man was talking about.