: Limiters on 96 STS

da324
10-28-03, 06:55 PM
I have a 96 STS and I read on this board that some of them had limiters at 130 MPH. The post stated that you could look inside the door at the tire rating and if they were not Z rated the motor had a limiter on it. Well, I looked inside my door and the tires were not Z rated, so, I decided to find out. Sure enough at 130 MPH the limiter kicked in. My question is why do some have limiters and some don't? Also, can the limiter be removed? Thanks for any replys. dv...

Allante North *
10-28-03, 07:10 PM
Just be glad you don't have a 112 MPH limiter like some have.

jonrodman
10-28-03, 10:03 PM
I have a 96 STS and I read on this board that some of them had limiters at 130 MPH. The post stated that you could look inside the door at the tire rating and if they were not Z rated the motor had a limiter on it. Well, I looked inside my door and the tires were not Z rated, so, I decided to find out. Sure enough at 130 MPH the limiter kicked in. My question is why do some have limiters and some don't? Also, can the limiter be removed? Thanks for any replys. dv...

Mine is limited to 130 also. If there is a way, I would like to know. The only thing I can think of is to swap the ECM with a non limited one. I don't know how to tell which is which without installing it and trying it out.

Jon
96STS

Dubya
10-28-03, 11:42 PM
see domesticperformance.com for a chip for 96-98 cadillacs to remove the limiter and custom performance tune it.

H rated tires are only rated to go up to 130mph before there unsafe, could come apart at higher speeds, can't make the car go so fast the tires tear apart. H rated tires are more of a touring tire, better for all season, comfort. z rated are crap in snow but better for performance, not everyone wanted z rated tires.