: Northstar R&D-Bench Test Apparatus

neo126
12-13-13, 03:24 AM
It has been quite a while since I have posted here of the Cadillac Forums. Its been a good year since I studded my 94 STS and she is still running strong as ever. At a time before the stud procedure I had bought a junkyard motor (talk about a gamble) and installed that into the STS. I kept the original motor and left it in the garage in an engine bag on an engine stand. Soon after the junkyard motor ended up failing anyway...so I decided to pull it and stud it. Worked out great and as I said still runnin strong a year later. At the time I kept thinking about how it would be nice to be able to run a bench test with all systems running as if it was installed in the car to make sure all is good.

I figure if i stud the original motor, I could build a system that would allow the motor to run properly as if installed in the vehicle. I have read and reread how the ignition system works for the northstar of my year. It seems the only way possible would either to take a wiring harness out of another 93-94 cadillac with the northstar system or purchase an after market ecu capable of running the northstar. Its just an idea im working on, I want to get it down on paper and have it organized before I make ANY attempt to construct it. Thoughts and ideas are appreciated, I get the feeling it may be more complex then it appears.

neo126
12-13-13, 04:28 AM
It has come to my attention through looking at my history of posts. That I had a similar post about "Running the Northstar outside of the car". With that post being so long ago and gaining experience on the control systems I hope to work to a possible good outcome. :)