: worst enignes of all time

Adumb
06-03-05, 08:33 PM
i found this list of the worst engines of all time, check out the first and last one, http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0408phr_worst/

caddy has 2 on the list... badass... i guess:suspense:

Sandy
06-03-05, 09:02 PM
Excellenmt Article, I agree with 90%.
Only problem is, he did not go on to mention
after hangin' the Caddy's 4.1 that the 4.5 & ESPECIALLY
the 4.9 that followed were terrific engines.

Adumb
06-03-05, 09:16 PM
i would probably like the list alot more if i didnt own one of the engines on it, lol

illumina
06-03-05, 10:08 PM
The early Olds 307 were dogs too...

Night Wolf
06-03-05, 11:43 PM
The early Olds 307 were dogs too...

dogs, yes.... but far from "worst engine" because they would simply not die.... ever....

the V864 wasn't so bad... it was the way it was treated, much like the diesels too.... hell the 368 was a very good motor....

davesdeville
06-04-05, 04:28 AM
Nothing wrong with the 8-6-4. If something malfunctioned with the rocker solenoid cyl deactivation system you could just snip one little wire.

The Mopar 2.2 was an OK engine, shouldn't be on the worst 10 list.

It was poor maintainence that killed the Olds diesels so I wouldn't have included that engine either.

The HT4100 deserves to be on there unfortunately.

Overall I disapprove of this list.

CadiJeff
06-04-05, 12:30 PM
CADILLAC V8-6-4
In 1981, engineers at Cadillac made an attempt at producing better gas mileage for its line of heavy luxo-liners. Dubbed the V8-6-4 (or, Displacement On Demand), the engine changed cylinder modes, eliminating two cylinders at a time as power demands decreased. The idea was right on the money, but the available technology to implement it was not. Measuring 368 cubic inches, oil pressure to specially-designed hydraulic lifters was shut off by solenoids, which caused the lifter to collapse, and effectively prevented the cam lobe from opening the related valve. The biggest rap with the V8-6-4 was a distinct hesitation when cylinders were deactivated, which commonly became known as a "driveability" problem. The same engine resurfaced in 1982, without its cylinder deactivation feature, and as a result, was generally considered to be a good engine[/QUOTE]

apparantly the moron who wrote this has never even seen how this system works, it dosn't do anything with the lifters, it never did. there went any acuracy this article had

El Dobro
06-04-05, 01:25 PM
Does anyone remember the carburetted 3.0 V6 Buick engine used in the Buick Century during the mid 80's? Talk about underpowered. I used to have trucks with flashing emergency lamps passing me going up a hill and I had the gas pedal pushed through the firewall.

RocketFast321
06-04-05, 09:40 PM
That 3.0 was base off the 3.8 or per 3800. They were in the 85-89, but they were very rare.
If the mopar 2.2 was so bad why did the one in my uncle's showdaw have 235k on it. :)
but I don't see the diesel that they put into towncars and the marks.