: Have come to a crossroad, would like a little input

Adam
06-03-05, 06:25 PM
Ok, first off everyone (or most of you anyway) know i am in the car market for a new or used vehicle. me and a friend were talking about this issue and we were talking about classic Caddies. it has long been a dream of mine (this might come as a shock to some people) to have a few classic cars, all stock, as a collection. that would be classic Caddies. i seen a 59 in the paper the other day that says it is 99% completed and they are selling it for 1500.00 (not a typo my friends 1 thousand 5 hundred). i have been wanting a 70 something Eldo and Deville and Fleetwood/ limo, also a 60s something Caddy (any model). i have found several of these that all are in good price range and more affordable than a new car. but (here comes the fork) i need a new car that i can drive everyday. i thought about it like this: those classics are only going to go up (maybe) in price future wise and i wont be able to afford them and yet i can get a new car anytime so if i could get the classics now and just get a new car anytime (after the classics are paid off). but wait, i need a good relieable everyday driver. so what do some of you guys think i should do?

Stoneage_Caddy
06-03-05, 06:38 PM
dont you have a runabout car already ?

the way i see it and have my own plan is to keep what i have , and maintian it to the utmost degree , keep it perfect ...thataway i can afford to get the collector car i want and play with it while haveing something nice to drive every day ...

with the new job i just got im gonna start looking at fieros ....gonna pull the trigger mid april 2006 , by then the final phase of the cadillacs plan will be complete and it will be exactly how i need it so it will last as long as i have planned...then ill restore the fiero ....

its been my experence watching other folks that the biggest part is making the plan and sticking to it ...if you dont the classic wont get the attention it needs ..and you daily driver will force you to sell your classic ....

alot of people buy the "bucket o car" restorations , i say 4 in 10 run again , 2 in 10 get trophys ...i hope you know what your getting into as to me it sounds like your looking at a "bucket o cadillac" , its beatter to buy a solid complete surivor to restore yourself then a partial , bucket car or half ass resto , my buddy up the street buys those half ass restos all the time . the cars are pathetic to look at ....

Ralph
06-03-05, 07:24 PM
That '59 sounds like quite a deal, but you never know how much you'll have to sink into it.

Do you have room for more cars. What are you driving now?

Adam
06-03-05, 08:44 PM
the Fleetwood was originally going to be my project car and the Lincoln was to be the everyday driver. but things went haywire and now my younger brother needs the Lincoln to drive his family around, so he has that. the 89 Deville is part of my collection, but i am going to be working on it soon and i want to keep as many miles off of her as i can (she has over 160k miles). the Fleetwood has since been my everyday driver. but soon i am going to start to work on the Fleetwood and get her show condition (new paint, hydraulics, interior, the list goes on...) and wont be an everyday driver. so there for i do not have an everyday driver (in a sense).

come August i will either be getting a new car or will be getting a loan check from the bank to get a few of these older cars. i have found 1 1970 Eldorado drop top, a 1975 Sedan Deville, a 1959 Coupe Deville, and a 1965 Coupe Deville. all of these cars are in perfect shape (the 59 says it is 99% done). they arent half done, they are low mileage garage kept perfect cars. they want 1,500 for the 59, 5k for the 75 SDV, 12k for the 70 Eldo, and 4,500 for the 65 CDV. so that is 23k (in my price range). or i can go out and get a brand new Mustang for around 20-22,5k and have me a real brand new car. but future wise these babies will be worth a whole lot more and i wont be able to afford them. i figure i can drive them once or twice a week and not have to worry about a daily driver (seeing as the Fleetwood will become a weekend cruiser there are 2 days covered). see my crossroad? either way i go i could wind up regretting because i need a good reliable daily driver or i could have something i have always wanted, my own car collection.

Adam
06-03-05, 08:49 PM
That '59 sounds like quite a deal, but you never know how much you'll have to sink into it.

Do you have room for more cars. What are you driving now?

yeah the 59 does sound too good to be true so i am going to go look at her this weekend.

yes i have room for more cars. a family friend told me if i got them i could store them in his storage garages (for free) so i have room. the storage garage is a stones throw from my house so i dont have to worry about anything like that. the Lincoln is basically gone (my lil brother will be taking over the payments soon) and the Deville will end up being my youngest brothers. he has liked that thing since i drove it home and is wanting it so bad he can taste it. i ll probably give it to him for a graduation gift in 2 years. so all i have is this oil burning coolant leaking Fleetwood with 151k miles that doesnt need to be out highway driving everyday.

Ralph
06-03-05, 08:52 PM
I think I might go with a new car for reliability and daily driving, THEN possibly get a car to fix up, etc.

powerglide
06-03-05, 09:00 PM
I'd spend money on a fairly new daily driver that wont cost much to run/repair and last a long time.....then go out and buy ONE classic to work on.

buying a fleet of 'projects' doesn't sound like a good idea to me unless you've got a trustfund to pay the bills and time to spare.....

if the 59 is for real, that you should buy and start working on.
In the meantime start looking for a reliable and useful daily driver.

Adam
06-03-05, 09:54 PM
I think I might go with a new car for reliability and daily driving, THEN possibly get a car to fix up, etc.

its one or the other. the Fleetwood will become the project car if and when i buy a new car. so i cant get another car to fix up. ill be spending th rest of my money on the Fleetwood.

Adam
06-03-05, 09:56 PM
I'd spend money on a fairly new daily driver that wont cost much to run/repair and last a long time.....then go out and buy ONE classic to work on.

buying a fleet of 'projects' doesn't sound like a good idea to me unless you've got a trustfund to pay the bills and time to spare.....

if the 59 is for real, that you should buy and start working on.
In the meantime start looking for a reliable and useful daily driver.

from all the cars i have looked at none need work (save for the 59, i havent seen it yet). the ad for the 59 says that its is 99% complete in the restoration and says it runs good so we'll see. but it isnt going to be a fleet of cars i will have to work on. all are in perfect working order and low mileage vehicles. if they werent in good shape then this would be a whole lot easier. perfect classic cars or a guarunteed perfect (well some of the time) new car.

c5 rv
06-03-05, 10:11 PM
I suggest buying a reliable, late model, used car that meets your daily driver needs and then buy and restore whatever to your heart's content. A good choice is an '03 or '04 Pontiac Vibe: about 30 MPG, roomy & flexible interior, and made by NUMMI in California alongside the Toyota Corolla. If you're rebuilding cars, you can get a lot of parts inside a Vibe without having to buy a truck, van, or SUV.

Adam
06-03-05, 10:40 PM
thanks for your input guys. im not rebuilding any cars though. just will be working on the Fleetwood and either have a collection of classic cars (that are in good shape) that i can switch out every other day or just a nice brand new car.

c5- im not looking for a used anything unless it is a luxury car (like a Benz or Caddy or Lincoln thanks for your input though). im looking to get (new car wise) the new Mustang or a LS Cobalt Coupe.

Spyder
06-04-05, 02:56 AM
I guarantee that the 59 is not 99%...and if it is, then its long gone, as someone else swooped it up the first day the ad was out... ...go check the thing out though, and if its worth building, get it

davesdeville
06-04-05, 05:34 AM
I'd pick up all the classics. Classic car insurance is cheap and depending on how many miles you drive can help offset the increase in fuel consumption. I'd get the 75 Sedan Deville (with 2.1 gallons of displacement) first since a "99%" 59 isn't going to go for that little price tag.

Ralph
06-04-05, 07:01 AM
The Cobalt seems kind of boring. Go with the Mustang, even if it's the V6. :hide:

Adam
06-05-05, 01:18 AM
well i am about 99% sure i am going to go the route of a used either Caddy, MB, or *gulp* BMW. i looked at some earlier today and the prices of them were all low enough for me to put most of my money into the Fleetwood and not have to worry about them messing up. most are still under factory warranty which is good. the Mustang was going to be 406 bucks a month and even though i can afford it now, ive got to think future wise about getting my own place and all that. thanks to all for the input, you guys have really helped in this situation.

Ralph
06-05-05, 01:29 AM
well i am about 99% sure i am going to go the route of a used either Caddy, MB, or *gulp* BMW. i looked at some earlier today and the prices of them were all low enough for me to put most of my money into the Fleetwood and not have to worry about them messing up. most are still under factory warranty which is good. the Mustang was going to be 406 bucks a month and even though i can afford it now, ive got to think future wise about getting my own place and all that. thanks to all for the input, you guys have really helped in this situation.

Ash is looking SUPER HOTT in those glasses DUDE!!! :thumbsup:

BMW dealerships are idiots! (ours anyway) My aunt just took her 735 il in for a new windshield (they want twice as much as Speedy Auto Glass, they damage the trim around the frame while removing the windshield, and now they won't pay for the damage THEY did to it!!!!! Screw BMW! If you can afford the parts, go for it, but be warned that they are so snobby, or so it would seem! I would go to the BMW dealership and see how they treat you if you talk to them, Since you might be going there for service, I would "feel them out" for their attitude, etc.

I would seriously get the new Mustang, with warrenty, good power and mileage. But I guess if it's too much, it's too much....

Something to ponder...