Cadillac Owners Forum banner
817 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 Brougham d'elegance. I've owned it for a few months now and have not bothered to fix the speedometer...it doesn't record speed nor does the odometer but it records fuel, highbeam, turn signals, etc. Someone told me it might be a cable not attached to my transmission or something like that. I'm pretty sure the digital dash works...any ideas?

thanks!

#3 ·
Is the speedometer part and the odometer turned on or are they just black? If it's turned on and isn't doing anything maybe it is something that isn't connected to the transmission but if it's just black it's probably something wrong with the digital dash itself. There's information in the service manual about how to figure out what's wrong with it.

#5 ·
thanks for the replies. the digital dash is indeed on, but the odometer and speedometer aren't picking up anything. im hoping to get my car on a lift somehow so i can check it out. the cops are getting more anxious for speeding tickets.

dave; i'm assuming 1990.

#6 ·
They ditched speedo cables sometime around then. You likely have a speed sensor in the trans, OR there is a speed sensor in the gauge cluster.

So if the ECM is happy, and no speed sensor faults, AND there is a cable, then it is the little speed sensor on the back of the gauge cluster.

So if the ECM is happy, and no speed sensor faults, AND there is NO cable, then it is the wire between the ECM and the gauge cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.