: My car got me a job ....

Stoneage_Caddy
06-02-05, 04:37 PM
Well today i began dropping my resume off at diffrent places , ive been holding off looking for a new gig hopeing the Govt would fix my contract. The 3rd attempt the got it wrong ....So with a new semster coming up in college with huge bills attched to it i needed employment right away....

Stopped off at the local Autozone. I figured i could sling some parts and make money. So i dropped in , gave my resume tot he stire manager and filled out the application. He steps out for a break and knowing imt he only one there realized that Cadillac was mine. He says "Hey is that your caddy?". I said "yup, got her 2 years ago behind a toyta lot as a mechanics speical". His atitude changed , i guess he realized i know what im doing. He said "man does that car look lean and mean".I got an interview on the spot and everything. At the end of the interview we talked about pay , he said "thats the lowest hourly rate anyone has ever asked for" . I told him "look , i need a damn job , im not going to be picky ive been out of work too long" , "im motivted here to get back to work". I thought "shoot ive screwed the pooch now"....Well instaed he started me out a dollar more per hour than i asked for and is trying to get me to apply for the managment position .....

Neverthe less to say i told him id be happy with the magament slot .....

It will be nice to be "working" at a job , the last one i just sit and stuff evenlopes all day, now i can help people with there cars .....as alot fo you see around here at the forums its something i like to do ....

I really belive my Caddy got my foot in the door ...I applied there once before and it was just filling otut he app and never hearing anything ....this time went very much diffrently after they saw the car....

As a reward for her performace today i let her eat a Honda CRX for lunch ....the guy driving it gave me a big thumbs up when we got to the next light ....I reved it at him and told him "bet you never thought that would happen " ...he just laughed and agreed , said something about "it can sure move out"....

a good day .....

Spock
06-02-05, 05:26 PM
I think it was your hardwork and diligence that got you the job. If you hadn't spruced up the caddy so much and taken care of it, the caddy wouldn't have looked so good. If I was hiring you, I'd think to myself "If he takes care of *his* car that much, how good will he take care of customers cars".

Congrats on your job! And next time demand to be paid in gold!.....en deloreans! http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stoneage_Caddy
06-02-05, 05:30 PM
good point , gold would be more stable over changes in the economy ....ill remeber that

Jesda
06-02-05, 06:25 PM
Smart guys working at Autozone. We need more of you!

Boombotz
06-02-05, 06:37 PM
Congrats on your new job. That job is perfect for you. If you really enjoy what you do, less money doesn't matter. It took me a long time to realize that. I left my previous job for another one for more money. Now I realize what a mistake I made. I was a whole lot happier before, because it was the work that I enjoyed. Now I have to rely on the money to make me happy.

Autozone just scored big time.

Elvis
06-02-05, 06:57 PM
Headquartered in beautiful downtown Memphis, home of the Redbirds who play in

http://www.memphisredbirds.com/images/Ballpark/autozone_4100.jpg

AutoZone Park

congrats! that job sounds perfect for you!

D148L0
06-02-05, 07:06 PM
Good luck on your job, dude!

powerglide
06-02-05, 07:26 PM
Nice!

Good attitude dude, it'll take you far.

slk230mb
06-02-05, 07:47 PM
Congrats and good luck :thumbsup:

Spyder
06-02-05, 08:18 PM
You're not going to ask me what size engine I have and if my plymouth is four wheel drive or not when I come to the parts counter for a headlight, are ya? :)

Playdrv4me
06-02-05, 09:37 PM
Congrats on your new job. That job is perfect for you. If you really enjoy what you do, less money doesn't matter. It took me a long time to realize that. I left my previous job for another one for more money. Now I realize what a mistake I made. I was a whole lot happier before, because it was the work that I enjoyed. Now I have to rely on the money to make me happy.

Autozone just scored big time.

Man im glad Im not the only one who sees it this way. I just passed on a 10k raise and 15 percent bonus structure because I really love my current job and I didnt want to leave it again. I left it once for the company that was offering me the big bucks and never again, the stress of the other job was so high I could barely breathe. Still all my friends called me an idiot for passing it up.

Ralph
06-02-05, 09:42 PM
Glad things are looking up! Now try to not hit on too many of the female customers that walk in. :sneaky:

Boombotz
06-02-05, 10:07 PM
Man im glad Im not the only one who sees it this way. I just passed on a 10k raise and 15 percent bonus structure because I really love my current job and I didnt want to leave it again. I left it once for the company that was offering me the big bucks and never again, the stress of the other job was so high I could barely breathe. Still all my friends called me an idiot for passing it up.

Yea thats were I am at now. The really big bucks but the stress is throw the roof. I am trying to teach myself not to care about my job, but it is hard to do. I do love the company and the owner but the stress and work load is wearing me down.

slk230mb
06-02-05, 10:11 PM

When I hit the real world after college I hope to find a job that I love doing.

Boombotz
06-02-05, 10:16 PM
When I hit the real world after college I hope to find a job that I love doing.

That would be the best advice I could give you. Don't worry about the money. It will come.

davesdeville
06-02-05, 10:28 PM
Congratulations on the job. I wish I could get one of those things. Tired of being broke. I've never thought about applying at the parts stores, hmm...

powerglide
06-02-05, 10:29 PM

DAMN RIGHT!!

I quit a six figure job trading securities in Tokyo/New York City to move to San Diego to work in a tiny employee owned aerospace engineering consulting firm.....I started yesterday, and while the pay isn't even close I LOVE IT!

.....escaped the boiler room into a private office in La Jolla......no phones ringing, assh0les yelling, losing sleep, grinding teeth.....

Some cliche's: "money isn't everything" or "life's short" may apply here.

Playdrv4me
06-02-05, 11:36 PM
Yup, exactly. The only thing better than really liking your job, is being in a PLACE you love too. Right now thats the only thing for me, Im not wild about the Northeast but eventually I plan to go back to Florida or over to California once I get some more time under my belt. I do tech support for one of the biggest banks so the neat thing is I can go pretty much anywhere in the country.

Spyder
06-03-05, 01:38 AM
California's great if you like paying high prices for everything and don't like guns...if you're a shooter, don't even think about it...It is beautiful in most places, but I'm looking to leave it once I'm done with school. I'm up north, in the countryside...couldn't stand to be in a big city, and I do love the state, but not what its becoming...

Night Wolf
06-03-05, 02:24 AM
YEY!

now you can get me a job there, since you'll be a manager and all :)

Just don't be like some of the idiots around here....well, there are a few really cute, and really sweet girls... they know alot too.... they are nice :) and a couple kids know what they are talking about...

but "Can I get a carburator rebuild kit for my '79 Cadillac DeVille"

sure... click click click

3 engines come up, since 3 were avaliable...

5.7 diesel

425 V8 4bbl

425 V8 FI

"Which engine does it have?"

"I need a carburator rebuild kit"

"yeah, but there are 3 choices"

"ummm.... the middle choice" <--- keep it simple

lol.... good times...

or when I asked for main bearings for my 1993 Mazda RX-7.... the kid was going crazy looking for it, then called the manager over who was ready to smack him in the head....

Stoneage_Caddy
06-03-05, 12:09 PM
BWAHHAHAHAH main bearings for a rotary .....

well guys ive had bad luck with getting parts at autozone , so those days are numbered on my watch ....hopefully i can get some authoiirty stright away and fix the brake rotor situation ive noted for awhile ...

and no i will ry not to ask folks what engine they have is they need a headlamp ...but ya gotta understand thats how the system works , headlamp falls under electrical , body and all that ...so to get there the first imput is year , then make , then model , then engine , then tranny etc....ive never liked that side of the system ...and from what i saw yesterday it hasnt changed ...but thats the reason behind why they need to know what engine you have ....
Now a good parts guy that knows whats up will just ask you for make and model , then toss in whatever is nessesary to get you the part number without hasseling you for all that other unnesseary info ...

i think the worst headache for me has been getting parts for cars that dont exist ...i come in with my research done and request a part say "i need 5/8in ID hose" "ok sir what kinda car is this for?" ...i have to expalin what im doing in order to get the part ....

i did this sort of work years ago (1997 i think) at "pep boys" , prolly the best job i had as far as people i worked with , absolutely loved it there...so when i got back fromt he airforce i wanted to go back ...but they had no room ....so for the past 2 years i went to work for the government , when things would get bad id swing into autozone and advance to drop a application .....

just so happend when thing got to there absloute worst here working for the govt things finnaly fell into place exactly the way i wanted ....i wanted autozone pretty bad since it was close to my house (one mile) ...

there is a brand new apartment complex right behind it too .....As George Jefferson once said "Movin on up"....

still kinda sad , im breaking up with "uncle sam" after a 7 year realtionship....but i dont think im gonna miss the government too much ....

Night Wolf
06-04-05, 12:29 AM
in some agreement witht he engine type and stuff....

some cars have different models.... and different engines.

With these models comes changes to the car... some even changed the lights around and stuff....

a fog light for an SE of one car may be different for a GT of the same car etc.... so they need to ask....

I tired to fool the cute girl at one of the Auto Zones by getting a t-stat for my 1968 VW Beatle ....... but shew cought right on.... my age too... and had a classic Carmondia that she was restoring...... gosh I need to find someone like that....

Stoneage_Caddy
06-04-05, 12:42 AM
i hear yah , we got the most beutiful little parts girl i ever layed eyes on across the street at adavance auto parts ...shes hotter than...well she damn hot ...

everybody on my street in my neiborood talks about her when there wives go inside when were hanging out drinkin beers...its funny as hell....in fact tonight my neibor and i were trying get his generator running when we realized we needed oil ...well acutlly we had some but we decided to go and see if she was working today ...his neobr came out after overhearing what we were doing ...he had to go too ...thre we are 3 white trash looking guys ,walking into a autoparts store asking the manager where she was ....and im the only one that wasnt married ...manager just grinned ....he said "man shes the best thing that ever happend to this store" ...he claims every shade tree mecnhaic comes in there witht he same lame excuse but is really looking for her ...

talk about good advertiseing

Night Wolf
06-04-05, 12:45 AM
girls like that..... guys like me have no chance at getting :(

Stoneage_Caddy
06-04-05, 12:53 AM
welcome ot the club wolf ....

as the more rythmic indiviuals of society might say "you just need game man"...

If you ask me , its alot like selling a crappy used car ....you gotta trick them into a test drive ....then hope they fall in love with the potntial of the heep ...

i used to be all wrapped up wth chaseing skirts ....nowadays im too preoccupied trying to get every little thing in my life running properly to even delve into all that dateing bullshit ....i wasted too many years and heartburn medicine on chickenheads ...lots of cathing up to do for my ugly arse ...I want too many things and got so many other things i want to do ....i figure maybe one day ill be ready to play the game again ....when women my age have grown up ....you got 10 years till you can even think of setlleing down with a chick your age ...they just dont understand life till they see 30 and the other end of the biolocial clock closeing in like a runaway freightliner

terrible one
06-04-05, 02:11 AM
I'm only 17, so Autozone wasn't too interested in me. So I work for a well-trusted mechanic in town. I love the work. I learn a lot, and am at a skill level where I can still pitch in, besides plain labor. I get paid $6 an hour, when I could be getting paid $8.50 an hour as a lifeguard. But I love the job and the fact that I get the benefit of learning too.

I think I'm thinking the same as you guys, just on a lower scale.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-04-05, 02:18 AM
well id say as long as you enjoy what you do thats ht emost important ...

Thats how i started out with my career in auto mechanics , i was a apprintance at a brittish car shop ...most interesting couple years as far as wreching is conrcerned

Boombotz
06-04-05, 02:27 AM
I'm only 17, so Autozone wasn't too interested in me. So I work for a well-trusted mechanic in town. I love the work. I learn a lot, and am at a skill level where I can still pitch in, besides plain labor. I get paid $6 an hour, when I could be getting paid $8.50 an hour as a lifeguard. But I love the job and the fact that I get the benefit of learning too.

I think I'm thinking the same as you guys, just on a lower scale.

You got the Idea and at an early age. That $6 job will help you more in the long run then $8.50 job. The skilled labor job could turn out to be more money or at least you have the knowledge to fix your on cars or as you get older or even stop you from getting rip off by a mech. So if you can live without the extra money and enjoy what you do, more power to you. It took me till I was 26 untill I realized it. Now I am stuck. But the money is great. Then you realize money isn't everything.

Spyder
06-04-05, 03:13 AM
Best job I ever had was the flagman at ThunderHill Speedway in Willows, CA. I spent ten hours a day in the sun, with no shade, wearing pants and long sleeves, with a hat and radio on my head...on the asphalt no less...with a 20 minute lunch break, getting fifty bucks a day. I loved every second of that summer...I was 17 and between driving my '66 lincoln 20 miles each way and buying my lunch every day I was bringing home about 20 bucks a day...but goddamn it was a great job. I'll never forget the time I saw an '82 Formula car (not sure make or team or anything) run the three mile track in a minute and forty two seconds. Incredible. And when I worked weekends, I'd stick around and pull a graveyard security shift, signing people in at the gate and locking it up at midnight, running the golf cart around the paddock and making sure the campers didn't get too rowdy...eating my MRE's, cause I didn't ahve to keep them cold...getting 5.25 an hour. I loved it! I got to drive old mustangs, new mustangs, a Viper, I sat in a '59 Ferrari, saw said quarter million dollar Ferrari roll 3 times on turn one, drive a Lightning, the old Mini's, Austin's, MG's, Porsches and all sorts of other little old sports cars. I still havn't driven a Corvette though...a life ambition of mine, just for the hell of it. Viper Days I think was one of my favourites. where we had 80 some Dodge Vipers running around on the track, screaming through the straightaway at a hundred and sixty mph. It was great...all right, enough memories...I'm gonna go do some more sanding on my Challenger... :D:D:D

davesdeville
06-04-05, 05:41 AM
I wonder if Cad Company needs any help around the shop... Now that would be a cool job, and they could pay me in forged pistons & rods, a cam, a bulldog intake manifold, headers, etc. That would be sweet.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-04-05, 11:27 AM
man is this great to see ...all you guys looking into these diffrent sorts of jobs ....

i spent 1 year in the food business as my first job , i never had a typical job ever since ....

in fact the auto parts jobs have been the closest to "main stream" that ive had ...

working at junkyards kicks ass too..... i did that for 6 months as a second job

SilverCTS
06-04-05, 11:47 AM
I really belive my Caddy got my foot in the door ...I applied there once before and it was just filling otut he app and never hearing anything ....this time went very much diffrently after they saw the car....

I must confess that I onced hired a Programmer because he was a real big Eagles fan just like I am.

I had all sorts of Eagles memorabilia all over my office, and when he came in for the interview, he noticed that and started talking about the Eagles. We ended up having a 15 minute conversation about football before I began interviewing him.

I interviewed a bunch of candidates. This guy was one of the top candidates anyway, but since he was such a huge Eagles fan, that made the difference. I offered him the job.

Night Wolf
06-04-05, 03:34 PM
welcome ot the club wolf ....

as the more rythmic indiviuals of society might say "you just need game man"...

If you ask me , its alot like selling a crappy used car ....you gotta trick them into a test drive ....then hope they fall in love with the potntial of the heep ...

i used to be all wrapped up wth chaseing skirts ....nowadays im too preoccupied trying to get every little thing in my life running properly to even delve into all that dateing bullshit ....i wasted too many years and heartburn medicine on chickenheads ...lots of cathing up to do for my ugly arse ...I want too many things and got so many other things i want to do ....i figure maybe one day ill be ready to play the game again ....when women my age have grown up ....you got 10 years till you can even think of setlleing down with a chick your age ...they just dont understand life till they see 30 and the other end of the biolocial clock closeing in like a runaway freightliner

The only thing with that is, by that time, a traditional girl would be all used up and thrown out like a dirty old rag about a hundred times....

I need to find the girl with similar thoughts and beliefs that I have, who is waiting to find the perfect guy, just like I am waiting to find the perfect girl...

.... the hardest thing to do though, is wait....

summer of '03 (I was 15/16 y/o) I worked at KOA campground, that was a sweet job, in many ways.... but $5.50/hr sucked...

from November os '03 to now, I am working at a nursing home in the kitchen, not a bad job, I hate one of my managers though, which makes me hate the job... I started at $8.26, then moved up to $8.81, and now make $9.08/hr , not too bad, and we get paid holidays, but I always work, so it is double time.... the hours that i can work (due to shcool durring the week) suck, so usually with school I would only get 18- 22 hours/week in, so while the hourly rate was good, the hours were bad, which left me with a paycheck that was less then my friends get, but I didn't work as much either....

I am tired of this job though, if it wasn't for me moving, I would have left months back, what I really want to do in FL is install car audio at best Buy/Circuit City or something.... I already know how to do it, I enjoy working with my hands, and I would enjoy it... not to mention some pretty insane discounts at the store :)

RocketFast321
06-04-05, 10:50 PM
autozone is a freakin evil empire, i use to work there. But at lease my 20% discount card still works :D

danbuc
06-04-05, 11:44 PM
Congrats on the job. I wish I could shop at the one you work at, instead of the one near my house. Nothing but a bunch of idiots workin' there.

Greatest conversation with an Autozone Employee......

"Hi, I'm looking for a distributor cap for a 1976 Triumph TR6"

-Turn's to the computer and says, "Is that a Ford?"

"NO...It's a Triumph!"...

You can pretty much guess where the conversation went from there.... :helpless:

davesdeville
06-05-05, 06:17 AM
The only thing with that is, by that time, a traditional girl would be all used up and thrown out like a dirty old rag about a hundred times....

I need to find the girl with similar thoughts and beliefs that I have, who is waiting to find the perfect guy, just like I am waiting to find the perfect girl...

.... the hardest thing to do though, is wait....

That is horrible. If you find someone who's had sex a couple times and just reject them thinking they're "a used up dirty old rag," IMO you're way more f***ed up than they are. Said person could've become the love of your life but just because some physical act got in the way... I don't know that's just not how I operate.

But I'll shut up now cause this is a thread on jobs, which I don't even have since no one will hire me. I'm going on an application blitz Monday, hitting Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, Big 5 Sporting Goods, and Cinemark Theaters.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-08-05, 10:13 PM
Well just to let everyone know ....ive got the job offically ...

Started out the day at the VA hosiptal @ 5am (left at 4am after a sleepless night), got home and went to bartow florida , a 1.5 hour trip ....On the way there i spotted a 92-93 Sixty Speical in a junkyard (fromt he road at 75 mph), on my way home i stopped by and raided it for parts ,and took pics (will post soon in there own thread)...at any rate got home , the store manager left me a message on the machine , called back and was told to get down to the store asap ...couple hours later im on the clock slingin parts and learing there system ...

I all but lost hope id get this job as every day he said "no info yet" ...today was diffrent he said "damn your persistant"....i guess the info came in at the exact time i was under the hood of that Sixty grabbing its plastic engine covers...

Not sure how long i was there today ...im so tired i dont even know what time it is now ....

im just happy that im at a job that someone acutally expects/needs me to perform and relys on my input ...and lets me help folks ....i was really getting tired of stuffing evelopes and takeing care of paperwork in a dark corner of a office ..

its not a lot ...but its the right step to get my self respect/pride back ....

Ralph
06-08-05, 10:51 PM
Glad to hear it. :thumbsup:

powerglide
06-08-05, 10:59 PM
Congrats! Thats a good feeling.....beer never tasted better!

jspano
06-08-05, 11:16 PM
good luck stoney

and plus you can get a discount on parts..if you need them
but caddy's never breakdown rite

jspano

Spyder
06-08-05, 11:32 PM
And you can send US parts at your discount! :)

jspano
06-08-05, 11:37 PM
stoney what store are you going to be at

jspano

Boombotz
06-09-05, 12:27 AM
Started out the day at the VA hosiptal @ 5am (left at 4am after a sleepless night), got home and went to bartow florida , a 1.5 hour trip ....On the way there i spotted a 92-93 Sixty Speical in a junkyard (fromt he road at 75 mph)

And you were speeding. I know exactly what junk yard you are talking about and the speed limit there is 65mph.

Cool deal and congrats on your new job.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-09-05, 08:45 AM
jspano , ill be at the one on the corner of collier parkway and sr54 ...but theres talk i may float to other stores

Boom , yup we had a good "rabbit" to flush out the smokeys LOL ...might be going back to that junkyard for more parts off that sixty