: CHANGE OIL message after new WATER PUMP installed

NYAviator
06-02-05, 01:10 PM
My first post, how exciting! A friend installed a water pump in my '97 Eldo - now I'm getting a 'CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message (oil changed last month).

After installing the pump, my friend reset codes, do you think that causes this, or is it possible that the oil is contaminated?
Thx.!

mcowden
06-02-05, 03:10 PM
The oil life monitor works off of mileage combined with some other factors such as engine RPMs. It does not actually "monitor" the condition of your oil. The oil could be full of diesel fuel and the OLM wouldn't know the difference. When the oil was changed, the OLM was not reset, even if the codes were clear. To reset the OLM, hit the INFO button until you see 0% OIL LIFE REMAINING and hold down the INFO RESET button for about 10 seconds until it changes to XXX% and then finally 100%. Done. You have to do that after you change the oil. Clearing the codes has nothing to do with it. Next time you see the OLM drop to zero, change the oil. You don't need to change it every 3k miles. Just use a good quality 10W-30 oil rated SL and Energy Conserving and you'll be just fine.

NYAviator
06-02-05, 04:05 PM
Thank you SO much for the reply. The OLM was reset after the oil change (sorry, I didn't mention that).. it was at about 98%, then after the water pump change I'm guessing something must have been unplugged to change the reading to 0% life. I can certainly reset to 100%, mainly I was worried because I thought it was actually smart enough to detect dirt (or antifreeze since the water pump was involved) in the oil tank.. Thank you!!

mcowden
06-02-05, 04:16 PM
I can't imagine what would have changed during a water pump R&R that would affect the OLM. If that was about a month ago, what kind of driving have you done since then? Lots of stop & go in town? Idling a lot? Hot conditions? Towing anything uphill in Death Valley? Not using overdrive? Are there any codes in the computer? What codes were in there when the pump was replaced?

The OLM stays at the last reading after disconnecting the battery, so that won't do it. I don't know why it would have dropped from 98% to 0% in such a short time other than mileage or some kind of operating condition that causes the computer to rapidly decrease the remaining life of the oil. Maybe someone else will chime in with what kinds of things will do that. The main point, though, you already got, and that is that the OLM knows nothing about the actual condition of the oil. You could drain the oil and fill the crankcase with Dawn dishwashing detergent and reset the OLM and it would say 100%.

Hope that helps. Good luck...

NYAviator
06-02-05, 04:26 PM
My friend said he reset codes after the water pump change, I also can't imagine why oil life would be affected. I'll reset oil life to 100%, unless I hear from someone else advising differently. Thx!!! :thumbsup:

NYAviator
06-02-05, 04:28 PM
My friend said he reset codes after the water pump change, I also can't imagine why oil life would be affected. I'll reset oil life to 100%, unless I hear from someone else advising differently. Thx!!! :thumbsup:

haymaker
06-02-05, 04:59 PM
The only problem that I know of that causes the oil life monitor to reset very early to 0% and call for a change is an engine overheat all the way into limp-home mode. It happened to me once before I replaced the head gaskets. The oil had been changed less than a week earlier but on the very next restart after the overheat limp-home I received the message to change the oil.

NYAviator
06-03-05, 02:49 PM
Thank you to all who replied. I reset oil life to 100% and haven't received the message. My main concern is that that didn't indicate another, more serious problem. My baby is back to normal! Thx!:bouncy: