: would WOT's get rid of this code?

fpmesiIII
06-02-05, 01:28 AM
i purchased my STS and shortly after this code came up along with AC1347. the code is PC1139 (P1139 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insuff. Switching Bank 1 Sensor 2). now after doing 10-12 WOT's the code went away and is now listed as a "history" code not a "current" code. do you guys think doing the WOT's got rid of it ? or is it just not showing the right condition of the code? by the way i still have the AC1347 showing as "current".

mcowden
06-02-05, 10:19 AM
I suppose a few WOTs could help blow away debris from the head of an O2 sensor, though it seems kind of unlikely. It's possible the vent slots in the sensor head are clogged up with carbon and not allowing the proper amount of gases through to get an accurate reading. Ranger has had this code on and off for a while also, and he just clears it and leaves it alone. If you can take the sensor out, you might try blowing it out a bit with a compressor if it looks like it's pretty crudded up. Don't use any liquids on it, just air.

If the sensor is showing insufficient switching, it basically means that the normal oscillations of voltage from the sensor have decreased in frequency sufficiently to cause the computer to think it's a problem. It could be the sensor going bad, but it might just be dirty. Personally, I would replace it, mostly because I don't want to take the time to mess around with the thing more than once. But you might get lucky. Like I said, Ranger doesn't have a problem with the code. It pops up once in a while, he clears it, and it goes away.

As for the AC1347, I'm not exactly sure how AC translates to normal OBD-II codes, but if it means B1347, that's indicating very low A/C refrigerant pressure. I would guess your A/C doesn't work. If that code is set, it probably will not allow the compressor to run. So, to fill the system again, you'll probably have to clear that code to get the compressor to run and pull in more refrigerant. Before you go doing that, though, you should find and fix the leak in the system that caused the refrigerant to escape in the first place.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Ranger
06-02-05, 10:19 AM
P1139 went away because the fault is no longer present. It will remain in history for 50 ignitioin cycles or til it is manually cleared. I get that code every once in a while. The O2 sensor may be just a little sluggish. Just clear it and forget it unless it becomes persistent.

A/C1347 is telling you that you need to service the A/C system. It is low on freon and has disabled the A/C compressor.

fpmesiIII
06-02-05, 04:29 PM
yep the you guys are right with the AC code, it my AC doesnt work. im gonna have the dealer take a look at it. i called them up about it, they said its either a leak or needs a recharge. as for the PC1139 code, it came back again. the DIC displays service emissions. so i guess its off and on like Ranger had. i will take it the caddy one of these days to the dealer to get both codes looked at. and have them reflash the computer because the vehicle always tells me to check oil level and i have been and its full. so the dealer said its most likely just needs to be reflashed, i mentioned to him that maybe it could be that the sensor needs to be replaced. he said could be.

mcowden
06-02-05, 04:57 PM
Reflashing the computer won't fix your oil level message. Your oil level sensor is probably just bad. Mine is bad also and I get the same message. Replacement sensors are about $15-$20 and you can install it yourself. Do it with the oil drained, so at the next oil change.

If you're getting the O2 sensor code all the time, that's not the same problem Ranger has. Yours is more constant, and the sensor probably does need to be replaced. It will cost you a few bucks, but you'll probably get a little better mileage, it will probably perform a little better, and you won't get any more annoying messages.

To fix the A/C, they'll need to find the leak first. The refrigerant is low for a reason: there's a leak. Recharging it won't work for long, most likely. They'll have to fix probably an O-ring seal or a bad hose. Worst case scenario they'll need to replace the coil or the compressor. The front seals on the compressors seem to be a common failure point. I had to replace my compressor for that problem, and all three other Caddy owners I know personally have all had the exact same problem. New compressor will cost probably $500-$750 installed. The O2 sensor will probably be about $150 installed, and the oil level sensor could be about $50-$100 installed. Just a very rough guess there. Get it checked out by the dealer, then let us know what they say before you agree to anything. We'll be able to spot any B.S. and guide you in the right direction.

Let us know what you do...

fpmesiIII
06-03-05, 12:16 AM
I will definitely post back to keep you guys informed. I'm not sure when i will have the money to get these problems fixed, but hopefully soon. I'll let everyone know what the dealer says and how much they want for the jobs. So you guys can throw in suggestions.