: How to get 120 miles per gallon

BeelzeBob
06-02-05, 01:26 AM
http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?s=3390503

Ralph
06-02-05, 01:56 AM
I thought that a warmer engine burns more completely and efficiently, compared to a cold one. I've heard, and thought it was common knowledge that in colder climates, or when the engine is cold, it's not very fuel efficient until it warms up? :hmm:

I'm not sure how he keeps them cold, etc.

I also thought that cold, frozen engine componets were more prone to breakage? It's a common thing here in -45 or colder weather to snap fanbelts, hoses, bearings in alternators refuse to budge, etc.

Playdrv4me
06-02-05, 02:50 AM
Technically based on that you could possibly get close to 35mpg doing the same to a 15mpg SUV. Impressive.

Rob_M
06-02-05, 03:07 AM
Sal, when they learn how to do that for my 93 STS I will cry!!!!!:worship:

Sinister Angel
06-02-05, 03:19 AM
I thought that a warmer engine burns more completely and efficiently, compared to a cold one. I've heard, and thought it was common knowledge that in colder climates, or when the engine is cold, it's not very fuel efficient until it warms up? :hmm:

I'm not sure how he keeps them cold, etc.

I also thought that cold, frozen engine componets were more prone to breakage? It's a common thing here in -45 or colder weather to snap fanbelts, hoses, bearings in alternators refuse to budge, etc.

Well, he doesn't keep them cold. He.. uhh.. well, it's like the opposite of heat treating?

davesdeville
06-02-05, 03:24 AM
Cryo treating. It's submersing disassembled metal engine parts in liquid nitrogen (really cold stuff.) It's supposed to increase durability of parts under very stressful conditions. It will NOT do anything for fuel economy, it is indeed BULLSHIT and really makes me question the local media.

fast66
06-02-05, 05:34 AM
Cryo treating. It's submersing disassembled metal engine parts in liquid nitrogen (really cold stuff.) It's supposed to increase durability of parts under very stressful conditions. It will NOT do anything for fuel economy, it is indeed BULLSHIT and really makes me question the local media.

That is what I thought exactly. It would jsut increase the durability and lasting of certain parts...thats all. I dont think your fuel economy will increase.

Elvis
06-02-05, 10:30 AM
When I put a cold air intake on my Honda, my mileage jumped from 24.5 to 26.5.

That has nothing to do with this, I realize. But cold is good sometimes.

D148L0
06-02-05, 10:54 AM
I'm excited.
I use liquid nitrogen every now and then, and have free access to it.
This article has given mea few nice ideas... bwahahahaha

radbag
06-02-05, 02:30 PM
i know a local golf pro who is utilizing this process on the golf clubs he makes/designs...he claims that the clubs are more durable (ie grooves maintain their shape and resistance to nicks and dings) and he claims because the metals are stronger, that the ball flys further...there are some local golfers (good golfers at that) who swear by this process.

science ROCKS!

Stoneage_Caddy
06-02-05, 04:28 PM
Nascar has been cryo treating rear end gears years before that jackass tore the engine down in his honda ...hell in 2001 i had ring gear and pinions in a set of dodge pickups that were cryo'd trying to find a way to combat the extreme ammount of failures ...it slowed our failure by a bit ...

i call bullshit on cryoing an engine to get bettaer MPG ...it does nothing to the weight of the internals and it doesnt change the firction that goes on ....it just makes things harder ....

Vesicant
06-02-05, 05:06 PM
CTS and CTS-V owners should start cryo treating their diff's :devil:

carguy16
06-02-05, 06:04 PM
Why dont they take it out in the interstate and use a tank of gas, sounds like they are taking his word for it.

slk230mb
06-02-05, 06:48 PM
CTS and CTS-V owners should start cryo treating their diff's :devil:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :hide:

JC316
06-03-05, 02:16 AM
I knew what this was about just by looking at the title. You cannot get better gas mileage by cold treating the parts with liquid nitrogen. You will get more durable parts, but it will do diddly shit for the mileage. You will simply get the same effect as heat tempering steel. To get better mileage you have to change the intake, exaust, weight, areodynamics, tire pressure and most importantly, keep your foot off the floor.

D148L0
06-03-05, 11:53 AM
science ROCKS!
Hell yeah!

RobertCTS
06-03-05, 03:23 PM
I just installed cross drill & slotted rotors in my CTS. The were cyro treated for several days.

An old drag racing trick was to pack your intake manifold in ice in an effort to cool the incoming air which would be denser charge. Cold can be cool:D

davesdeville
06-03-05, 08:38 PM
I just installed cross drill & slotted rotors in my CTS. The were cyro treated for several days.

An old drag racing trick was to pack your intake manifold in ice in an effort to cool the incoming air which would be denser charge. Cold can be cool:D

Or icing your intercooler..

RobertCTS
06-03-05, 08:43 PM
Or icing your intercooler..

Yep, that would work. wheres my intercooler:confused:

davesdeville
06-04-05, 04:20 AM
OK, not YOUR intercooler. But yes, a lot of the time cold is good. Should've gone for an STS-V Robert then you'd have an intercooler to ice :p

Just kidding, they're 2 very differant animals for 2 differant kinds of drivers.