: Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Elvis
06-01-05, 09:45 PM
Here's a little history...

In January of 2003, I joined this forum because I really REALLY like old Cadillacs, and my plan at the time was to trade up to a 2001-2002 DeVille. I had been driving a 2000 Honda Prelude that was fun, but really wasn't the car I hoped it would turn out to be.

In June of 2003, my wife fell in love with a Z3. I wanted her to have it, but I knew it meant another couple years of driving that Prelude if she bought it. We just couldn't handle any more car notes.

Then a few people like Katshot, HRS, and even Sal started showing off pictures of their LT1 Fleetwoods, so I figured maybe I could make an "even" trade. In October of 2003 I found the perfect candidate but it wouldn't fit in my garage! It also was a little more "floaty" than I remembered.

So I bided my time, waiting for the Z3 to get paid in full. Along the way one of my dogs needed some major surgery, that set us back several grand. Then my wife's job was up in the air due to an acquisition/merger.

Things didn't really settle down until February of this year. All the vehicles and other debts were finally paid off. My wife got a new job she loves, and it was finally okay for me to get out of that little backache on wheels.

Honestly, I LOVED my Prelude, but she was kind of like having a 19-year-old mistress. I'm 40 and just can't do it anymore like I used to. My mid-life crisis is over.

You've seen the other thread with all the vehicles I was considering. Four months ago if you had told me I'd be driving a Ford, I would have said you were crazy.

Well, here it is. My Barcalounger on wheels. It's a heavy drinker too. The eBay auction I linked in the other thread has some other pictures. That truck is virtually identical to this one. They all look the same anyway.

I'm debating what to name it. Not sure of the gender yet. It's either "Sherman" because my wife said it was a tank, or "Large Marge the Land Barge."

It DOES fit in my garage. Surprisingly, the third row has as much room as the 2nd row of a Yukon or Envoy!

Ralph
06-01-05, 09:48 PM
Very nice, and that's a really nice color! I'd like to see a pic of it out of the garage. (frontal-offset angle)

Who knows what the future holds for us. I may be in a Honda in 2 years. :D

I think it's cool you bought domestic and I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Lots of room for the pets.

So the third row comes out, or folds down?

You are forgiven, for now. :sneaky:

Elvis
06-01-05, 09:50 PM
Sorry the pics aren't any better. It rained all day today and I really didn't feel like standing outside for very long.

This thing shows ZERO dirt, too. I plan to give it a good waxing this weekend, then fugeddaboudit!!! I'll only wash it about once a month!

Elvis
06-01-05, 09:52 PM
The third row folds down. That's what those two buttons are on the right.

This is virtually identical to the Navigator. The Triton V8 has 3 valves per cylinder, and the Navigator's engine has 4 valves. The Navigator offers the retractable running boards and pop-out side windows in the back. The rest is pretty much the same.

If it's good enough for Phil Mickelson, it's good enough for me. Maybe my golf game will improve.

Ralph
06-01-05, 09:53 PM
It's also a terrific vehicle for camping and you'll never need a truck now. Just think of all the neighbours asking your help to move them now. :thumbsup: :yup: :histeric:

Elvis
06-01-05, 10:05 PM
The favor requests are already pouring in. My wife was luke-warm about the whole idea, then a friend of hers asked if I could help her get something from Home Depot, so now she thinks it's cool. (I hope)

She'll REALLY think it's cool when I turn on the air-conditioned seats after our round of golf Sunday. She doesn't know about that yet. The first time you feel it, if you don't know what's happening, you think you wet your pants.

SilverCTS
06-01-05, 10:09 PM
she was kind of like having a 19-year-old mistress. I'm 40 and just can't do it anymore like I used to. My mid-life crisis is over.

DUDE, DON'T GIVE UP NOW!

You have as least 5 years to go with that 19 Year old.

She'll be 24 when you're done and you'll be 45.

Big deal!

Elvis
06-01-05, 10:14 PM
That 19-year-old is now somebody ELSE'S problem!

Reminds me of that picture of a hot model in a bikini, the caption below it says something like:

"No matter how good she looks now, somebody SOMEWHERE is tired of putting up with her sh!t."

turbojimmy
06-01-05, 10:47 PM
Congrats. I hate to admit it, but the only vehicle I've ever owned where I can honestly say I had ZERO problems was my Ford Explorer. I bought it new in 1997 and sold it last year when I got my 'Yota. Even the 'Yota has had its fair share of recalls and issues. My only complaint was that the Explorer was grossly under-powered, but I blame my wife for not waiting for the DOHC 4.0L motor (they were new back then so they were backordered - we got the SOHC 4.0L).

Jim

Boombotz
06-01-05, 11:05 PM
Elvis,

Congrats on your purchase of your new truck. I did own a 2000 Expedition and drove it till Oct. 04. It had 144,000 miles on it and had no major problems with it at all. I sold it to someone I knew for $5,000. I like that truck alot. I have seen the 05's on the road and they look really good. I have even thought to go look at them. I don't think I could love it more the my Lade. Good luck with it and I hope you get the same out of it as I did mine.

Ralph
06-01-05, 11:28 PM
Elvis,

It looks like the Crossovers are going to become really popular and SUV interest is fading a bit.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Jun_1_2005.S173.A8694.html

Elvis
06-01-05, 11:34 PM
Good link, Ralphie.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Of course, ten years ago the crossover didn't even exist. It just took the manufacturers a while to figure out that people really just wanted their station wagons back!!!

I used to be the guy who bought things on the leading edge. I was the innovator, the first one to try something new and untested.

Now I'm the last one to catch up to the bandwagon. I didn't discover Duke Ellington until he had been dead for 15 years.

davesdeville
06-02-05, 04:39 AM
Hmm. OK. Boringmobile but it works for you so congratulations on the purchase.

fast66
06-02-05, 06:31 AM
"No matter how good she looks now, somebody SOMEWHERE is tired of putting up with her sh!t."

Nice ford. This quote is soo true.

airbalancer
06-02-05, 09:09 AM
Bad news Elvis, mid life crisis does not start for another 5 years
Nice toy, is there just wife you and the dog?

Elvis
06-02-05, 10:25 AM
3 dogs.

dogs love trucks.

They all barked "ROAD TRIP!" when I brought it home.

airbalancer
06-03-05, 08:45 AM
But what "It's official. I have become my father."
I am so confussed!

Elvis
06-03-05, 12:34 PM
But what "It's official. I have become my father."
I am so confussed!

I've bought a big-ass SUV.

My hair is falling out. (What's left has turned grey.)

My face is wrinkled in the same places and I'm starting to LOOK like him now.

Last month I weighed 190 lbs for the first time. (I dropped back down to 181 in a hurry, still working on that...)

I snore.

My back hurts ALL the time now.

Shall I continue?

(I guess I could've done a lot worse.)

airbalancer
06-03-05, 09:55 PM
wait until you hit 250!and your wifes snores lol

kokoj
06-04-05, 12:43 PM
I've bought a big-ass SUV.

My hair is falling out. (What's left has turned grey.)

My face is wrinkled in the same places and I'm starting to LOOK like him now.

Last month I weighed 190 lbs for the first time. (I dropped back down to 181 in a hurry, still working on that...)

I snore.

My back hurts ALL the time now.

Shall I continue?

(I guess I could've done a lot worse.)

Oh, stupid me, I thought you had become a father, not YOUR father. If your father was a nice guy would that be a bad thing ?

Elvis
06-05-05, 08:12 PM
Oh, stupid me, I thought you had become a father, not YOUR father. If your father was a nice guy would that be a bad thing ?

Not a bad thing at all. I could do worse.

It's scary. One morning not too long ago. I got out of the shower, I was drying my hair with a towel and getting all the water out of my eyes. I looked into the fogged-up mirror, and could've SWORN I saw my father standing there.

It was ME! :holycrap:

Ralph
06-06-05, 01:51 AM
So how do you like the vehicle? Any rattles, squeeks, engine fires, etc.?? :p

You must have had it out this weekend, does it feel like it's got enough power, etc....

Does it have a fuel economy computer......I'm curious how it fares??

Elvis
06-06-05, 03:22 PM
So how do you like the vehicle? Any rattles, squeeks, engine fires, etc.?? :p

You must have had it out this weekend, does it feel like it's got enough power, etc....

Does it have a fuel economy computer......I'm curious how it fares??

I still like it. No squeeks or rattles YET.

Put about 75 miles on it this weekend running errands, etc. The engine has plenty of power, but you can tell it's geared more for towing than just driving around town. The one time I stomped on it I got where I wanted to go quickly enough.

It kind of reminds me of my father's first Suburban. I'm pretty sure it had a 350. You can hear it roaring like it really wants to go somewhere. Kind of like a Belgian draft horse. But it's built for power, not speed.

For my regular commute to work it seems to be averaging only about 14.5 mpg. I reset the computer Saturday morning and got 16.8 mpg on my grocery/laundry run. For pure highway driving it hits 20-21 mpg which isn't all that bad. I'll calculate it the old-fashioned way next time I fill up. I've read that the Ford mileage computer is a little "optimistic."

The thing I really like about this truck is the independent rear suspension. It doesn't rock from side to side like so many American SUV's I've driven in the past. It felt a little firm, then I discovered that they put 44 PSI in the tires. I took them down to 36 and it feels a lot better now. I might try 32 later. Ford put those Continental SUV tires with the white lettering on there. They look like crap and I'm sure they won't make it past 30,000 miles anyway.

Friday night I detailed and waxed the Z3 for "she who must be obeyed." She was somewhat appreciative, too. Saturday I waxed the Expedition. White cars are so EASY. I'm sure I left a little residue behind, but it just doesn't show up! Believe it or not, it took the same amount of time to wax a white Expedition as it did a black Z3.

Right now my main concern is the XM/MP3 setup. I found an add-on XM tuner that will plug directly into this Ford head unit for $198.99. Then I found an FM modulator with a power switch already wired in for $29.99 on Crutchfield. I'll probably do all that in the next month or two. I just got a stack of books on CD that will probably occupy me for a couple weeks. I'm low on "mad money" right now anyway.

Ralph
06-06-05, 03:33 PM
I still like it. No squeeks or rattles YET.

Put about 75 miles on it this weekend running errands, etc. The engine has plenty of power, but you can tell it's geared more for towing than just driving around town. The one time I stomped on it I got where I wanted to go quickly enough.

It kind of reminds me of my father's first Suburban. I'm pretty sure it had a 350. You can hear it roaring like it really wants to go somewhere. Kind of like a Belgian draft horse. But it's built for power, not speed.

For my regular commute to work it seems to be averaging only about 14.5 mpg. I reset the computer Saturday morning and got 16.8 mpg on my grocery/laundry run. For pure highway driving it hits 20-21 mpg which isn't all that bad. I'll calculate it the old-fashioned way next time I fill up. I've read that the Ford mileage computer is a little "optimistic."

The thing I really like about this truck is the independent rear suspension. It doesn't rock from side to side like so many American SUV's I've driven in the past. It felt a little firm, then I discovered that they put 44 PSI in the tires. I took them down to 36 and it feels a lot better now. I might try 32 later. Ford put those Continental SUV tires with the white lettering on there. They look like crap and I'm sure they won't make it past 30,000 miles anyway.

Friday night I detailed and waxed the Z3 for "she who must be obeyed." She was somewhat appreciative, too. Saturday I waxed the Expedition. White cars are so EASY. I'm sure I left a little residue behind, but it just doesn't show up! Believe it or not, it took the same amount of time to wax a white Expedition as it did a black Z3.

Right now my main concern is the XM/MP3 setup. I found an add-on XM tuner that will plug directly into this Ford head unit for $198.99. Then I found an FM modulator with a power switch already wired in for $29.99 on Crutchfield. I'll probably do all that in the next month or two. I just got a stack of books on CD that will probably occupy me for a couple weeks. I'm low on "mad money" right now anyway.

Ya, I've always promoted the advantages of "lighter colored" vehicles.

That's pretty good for gas mileage!!! I topped up yesterday and only got an average of 14.5 in city! Likely because I had to shut down a smug kid in a Civic with his blonde GF looking over. :sneaky: She should have been MINE after that. :yup:

Ya, the Expedition is likely geared high for towing, etc. I was beside a woman at a redlight yesterday and she had THE EXACT SAME rig you bought, same whiteish color, she hadn't washed it in a while and there sure was a lot of brake-dust on the front rims! Likely, due to it's weight, you will go through brake pads in a hurry with it.

possible tip: brake in advance. :thumbsup:

Elvis
06-06-05, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the winter with all that brake dust caked on the rims. They're shiny chrome too. They'll look like sh!t if I don't keep 'em clean every week.

I started to post something about this earlier but the power went out here and I lost my train of thought. The seats in this Expedition are the most comfortable I can remember in ANY vehicle I've driven since Mom's 1986 Oldsmoble 98 Regency. That was very similar to your Fleetwood. The LT1 Fleetwood I "borrowed" a couple years ago was nice, but the seats were kind of broken in by a heavy person.

These are buckets, a little firmer and not as wide. But they're big, high and adjustable in the same way. The latest generation DeVille isn't quite as comfortable, but I'm sure the ride is smoother so it evens out.

I'm calling it a Navigator without the "piss-off" factor. Some people around here look at the vehicle you drive and judge you. If you get something too nice, they get offended. Nobody can feel that way about a Ford truck. I'm keeping the interior luxury thing a secret.

Ralph
06-07-05, 10:26 PM
These are buckets, a little firmer and not as wide. But they're big, high and adjustable in the same way. The latest generation DeVille isn't quite as comfortable, but I'm sure the ride is smoother so it evens out.

I can't imagine nicer more comfortable seats than the DTS, especially with that neat massage feature :sneaky: but I insist on rock-hard firm seats for support.

Have you seen the terrible seats on the new Lincoln truck?? There were pleats and uneven stitching, etc. The leather was not pulled tight and I can only imagine how "mushy" they might become after 6 months...

elwesso
06-08-05, 12:59 AM
That 19-year-old is now somebody ELSE'S problem!

Reminds me of that picture of a hot model in a bikini, the caption below it says something like:

Precisely

Congrats on the new ride Elvis... Im sure youll like it, and i guarntee it does better inthe snow than the prelude!!!

Elvis
06-08-05, 07:45 PM
My baby is still looking for a good home. Based on their asking price, and what they gave me for her, I got a pretty good deal out of them.

http://www.landersfordmemphis.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=4583446

Damn, she looks good. I gave her a nice wax job before I let her go.

http://www.landersfordmemphis.com/images/Photo/2000/Honda/Prelude/JHMBB6245YC003393_1.JPG

Ralph
06-08-05, 11:45 PM
Those seats sure look supportive and comfy.

Quite a contrast in vehicles you moved to!

p.s. i didn't think STD's were automotive related?? ;)

turbojimmy
06-09-05, 06:31 AM
It felt a little firm, then I discovered that they put 44 PSI in the tires. I took them down to 36 and it feels a lot better now.

Ford has become really paranoid about tire pressure since the whole Firestone thing. Check the recommended tire pressure - it might be as high as 44.

Jim

Elvis
06-09-05, 12:58 PM
Ford has become really paranoid about tire pressure since the whole Firestone thing. Check the recommended tire pressure - it might be as high as 44.

Jim

They sure have. It's recommended at 35. I have them at 36 right now, but it didn't feel bad at 44.

Ralph, the seats in the Honda were fine, but the problem was that they sat so low and my legs are so long, I just couldn't find a comfortable position. If my legs were right, then I was too far away from the wheel. If my arms were right, my knees were in the dash.

That's why I vowed never to buy another vehicle designed by/for short people. My wife isn't very happy with that. She's only about 5'3".

Ralph
06-09-05, 09:27 PM
Ralph, the seats in the Honda were fine, but the problem was that they sat so low and my legs are so long, I just couldn't find a comfortable position. If my legs were right, then I was too far away from the wheel. If my arms were right, my knees were in the dash.

That's EXACTLY what I experienced when I tested the Corolla a couple years ago. The steering wheel is basically right on the dash, or not far from it, so if you are tall you have to put the seat closer to reach it, but then you are short on leg room! My Fiance at the time was 5'3" also and she loved it, perfect seating position.

Even the Echo was comfortable because the steering wheel at least had a column attatched to it!

Elvis
06-11-05, 08:56 AM
Okay, here's the last run of pictures.

I went out to get the paper early this morning and she looked really good.

I decided to give the wife the garage for a while. This thing shows no dirt at all. After a light rain she still looks fine. I'll never buy a black car again, unless it's a trailer queen or something I only drive on sunny days.

I really like these rims, but I've read some really bad things about the Continental tires. Like I won't get 20,000 miles out of them, they'll start to wobble after 10,000, they'll wear unevenly no matter what I do...

Regardless, I'm very satisfied with this purchase, and I find it really hard to identify $12,000 difference between this and a Navigator or Escalade. She's extremely comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I think I'm going to keep her for a really long time.

slk230mb
06-11-05, 11:22 AM
Looks great Elvis :thumbsup:

From those pics it looks like you're running a 265/70/R17 tire. When they go look at the Bridgestone Revo or the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. I have the latter and love em, my dad's Yukon has the former and he loves em too.

Boombotz
06-11-05, 11:29 AM
Looks good. It would look really good with some rims on it.:D

Elvis
06-11-05, 11:42 AM
Looks good. It would look really good with some rims on it.:D

I like your tint.

If you don't mind my asking, what would something like that cost, just on the front door windows?

Boombotz
06-11-05, 11:48 AM
I paid $100 and the guy who did it did a amazing job. The best tint job I ever had done. It looks like the factory did it. When the window is down a little bit and you see the edge of the tint. It is right to the edge of the window and the straightest line I ever saw. That was done here in Fl. Don't know the prices were your at. And by the way I love the smkey Mt. area of Tennesee. My wife and I visit there alot and love it. We will own a cabin in the Mt's. soon.

Elvis
06-11-05, 12:01 PM
I'm closer to Biloxi than I am to the Smokies. Tennessee is a weird state.

Thx for the info!

Ralph
06-11-05, 02:50 PM
Looking SUPERCOOL Elvis!!

Wait, there's something missing.........an American flag over your garage. ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
06-25-05, 01:49 AM
but wait , when he bought the expedition he made a new thread with the same name LOL

Boombotz
06-25-05, 02:12 AM
:hmm: You confused me for a second.