: GM's next tactic... Give all of the buying public Employee pricing

Playdrv4me
06-01-05, 12:34 PM
Yep.

Just heard it on the radio today... Now for a limited time EVERYONE will get GM Employee pricing when they purchase a vehicle. Every car and truck except the Corvette will apply.

BeelzeBob
06-01-05, 12:40 PM
Wow. I know some GM dealerships that sell their brand new cars for $100.00 over invoice to employees.. I wonder what kind of deal actual GM employees get...

Playdrv4me
06-01-05, 12:44 PM
My main problem with this stuff is it lessens the value of the brands. Its one thing to offer rebates, but with tactics like this the public is always going to be waiting for the next "big thing" the big three will offer. Slowly it just erodes away at the value of each and every vehicle.

Its gotten so bad, that in some cases an unsuspecting buyer might actually pay more for say a USED 2004 vehicle, than a brand new 2005 depending on what incentives are available.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-05, 12:53 PM
Wow. I know some GM dealerships that sell their brand new cars for $100.00 over invoice to employees.. I wonder what kind of deal actual GM employees get...
Sal we get employee pricing ...

Our $27,000 Siverado cost us around 20,000 we also got the dealer fees removed , because of the discount ....

Our Malibu Maxx (#1) stickerd for 26,500 ,I think we brought it home for 20,000 no dealer fees before trade.... Maxx #2 didnt qualify for Employee Pricing due to GM buying #1 Back ...

Our Safari GT van was pretty neat , we did it in such a way that it showed up at a pointiac dealer and the dealer didnt even remove the plastic, wash it or put there stupid stickers on it ....We got to take it home and pull it out of the wrapper ....which i still think was awesome ....

Elvis
06-01-05, 02:15 PM
My main problem with this stuff is it lessens the value of the brands. Its one thing to offer rebates, but with tactics like this the public is always going to be waiting for the next "big thing" the big three will offer. Slowly it just erodes away at the value of each and every vehicle.

Its gotten so bad, that in some cases an unsuspecting buyer might actually pay more for say a USED 2004 vehicle, than a brand new 2005 depending on what incentives are available.

You nailed two with that statement.

It seems like they're doing a lot of short-term stimuli that will inevitably lead to a painful paying of the piper down the road.

I got the call from my buddy at the GMC dealership first thing this morning. He said it would amount to an additional $2500 worth of discounts.

It's a good thing I'm happy with what I bought and that I didn't play pricing games with two people competing against each other that way. I picked the one that fit and felt the best.

Brett
06-01-05, 03:03 PM
heres the link to play around with

http://www.gm.com/employeediscount.do?brandId=ld&mode=byModel#

Ralph
06-01-05, 03:29 PM
So what. Let GM offer price discounting, it's certainly a more "secure in their future" statement to the public and shareholders than just KILLING Pontiac or Buick foolishly without thinking of the long-term. (giving the impression GM is going completely out of business, therefore people will not buy a different GM vehicle)

My Dad saved over 10 grand by haggling on the DTS and anyone can get a discount if they tried, or cared to try and know a little bit of psychology. GM needs to move more cars right now and if they can do it this way, do it...

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-05, 03:39 PM
So what. Let GM offer price discounting, it's certainly a more "secure in their future" statement to the public and shareholders than just KILLING Pontiac or Buick foolishly without thinking of the long-term. (giving the impression GM is going completely out of business, therefore people will not buy a different GM vehicle)

My Dad saved over 10 grand by haggling on the DTS and anyone can get a discount if they tried, or cared to try and know a little bit of psychology. GM needs to move more cars right now and if they can do it this way, do it...
yes but it will kill the dealers , thats bacsiclcy where the GM plan gets the money ....they scrape off what the dealer planned make on the car ...

Belive me , we have been "handed off" to other slaesmen as soon as we mention the GM deal ...they arent real happy to deal with us ...

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-05, 03:40 PM
by the way anyone have an idea what this will do to resale ? i tell ya this deal offset the depriciation of our malibu for 6-8 months after we bought it ..in other words 6 months after purchase and 3,000 miles it was worth the same as what we bought it for

Ralph
06-01-05, 03:44 PM
yes but it will kill the dealers , thats bacsiclcy where the GM plan gets the money ....they scrape off what the dealer planned make on the car ...

Belive me , we have been "handed off" to other slaesmen as soon as we mention the GM deal ...they arent real happy to deal with us ...

I don't think they are going to sell the cars at a loss. They still have to make profit on the vehicles otherwise it's just bad business, etc. They still have to pay the salesmen, etc.

If they aren't happy to "deal with you" or will not give you a discount, threaten to go to another dealership. Believe me, they will call you if they want your money!

They have to make profit on the cars or they wouldn't sell them and I prefer this over even TALK of killing a division completely because that was more detrimental and damaging.

People need to keep their vehicles longer to help fight depreciation.

If they didn't offer deals people would just complain they are tight-wads.

Ralph
06-01-05, 03:49 PM
This is a limited time offer so I really don't think it's a big deal. Likely just to spark summer buying, etc.

Elvis
06-01-05, 04:44 PM
Another thing this is doing (Playdrv4me alluded to this earlier) is KILLING the used car market.

I ran an ad in AutoTrader (publication and on-line) for three weeks and didn't receive a SINGLE CALL. I Ran an ad in the local newspaper (500,000 circulation) for ten days and only received ONE CALL. Fifteen years ago when I ran an ad, the phone was ringing off the hook the day the publication came out. That was before the internet. Maybe 10,000 people were seeing it back then.

Why buy a used car when the new ones are practically being given away? I can only see things getting worse for the next three years.

Ralph
06-01-05, 04:48 PM
Another thing this is doing (Playdrv4me alluded to this earlier) is KILLING the used car market.

I ran an ad in AutoTrader for three weeks and didn't receive a SINGLE CALL. I Ran an ad in the local newspaper (500,000 circulation) for ten days and only received ONE CALL.

Why buy a used car when the new ones are practically being given away? I can only see things getting worse for the next three years.

That may be true, but ask yourself what's worse. Not being able to sell a used car or GM going bust affecting the American economy and putting thousands more out of jobs....(remember, it's only a limited time offer)

If they don't move new cars, the U.S. dollar will sink even lower, etc.

People save thousands everyday by haggling regardless.

Maybe this will put Japanese cars on a more level depreciation field with their American counterparts?

This could be a complex topic and in great detail. Interesting stuff.

Elvis
06-01-05, 05:54 PM
That may be true, but ask yourself what's worse. Not being able to sell a used car or GM going bust affecting the American economy and putting thousands more out of jobs....(remember, it's only a limited time offer)

If they don't move new cars, the U.S. dollar will sink even lower, etc.

People save thousands everyday by haggling regardless.

Maybe this will put Japanese cars on a more level depreciation field with their American counterparts?

This could be a complex topic and in great detail. Interesting stuff.

Like, yeah, what-EVERRRRRRR. That is like, SO somebody ELSE'S problem.
(you've forgotten how self-absorbed we Americans are...)

Seriously, American car dealerships have turned into a Persian Rug Bazaar. Check any website where people discuss what they actually paid in comparison to MSRP. Depending on the day, the dealership, and the mood of the salesman, prices could vary as much as $5,000 on identical cars. I've been both the windshield and the bug when buying new vehicles. More times than not I've been screwed in the long run.

This latest purchase is only the second time in my life that I actually felt good when I left the showroom. If you're friends with the general mgr. it makes all the difference. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

I felt really bad this morning when the GMC guy called. He's a friend too. I'm glad I didn't engage him in a price war with the Ford guy.

Ralph
06-01-05, 05:59 PM
Like, yeah, what-EVERRRRRRR. That is like, SO somebody ELSE'S problem.
(you've forgotten how self-absorbed we Americans are...)

Seriously, American car dealerships have turned into a Persian Rug Bazaar. Check any website where people discuss what they actually paid in comparison to MSRP. Depending on the day, the dealership, and the mood of the salesman, prices could vary as much as $5,000 on identical cars. I've been both the windshield and the bug when buying new vehicles. More times than not I've been screwed in the long run.

This latest purchase is only the second time in my life that I actually felt good when I left the showroom. If you're friends with the general mgr. it makes all the difference. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

I felt really bad this morning when the GMC guy called. He's a friend too. I'm glad I didn't engage him in a price war with the Ford guy.

Understood. I hope you got a good deal. :sneaky:

I understand he was your friend at the GMC dealership, but I would have asked him to beat the Expedition price and vise versa. I think it's up to the consumer to see if they can save money, and I don't think it's a bad thing to see who can go the lowest, after all, it's YOUR hard earned money in the end. :yup: I would have just told your friend "I have to save as much money as possible, and it's nothing personal...."

Geez, maybe I should have put this on your "Time to Trade" thread...

Playdrv4me
06-01-05, 06:16 PM
Elvis... time to update that Ownership line sir!! ;)

Ralph
06-01-05, 06:17 PM
Elvis... time to update that Ownership line sir!! ;)

and your siggy pic too. :shhh: :sneaky:

Rolex
06-01-05, 08:06 PM
The local Cadi dealer has 13,500 in rebates off of the new Lades. That makes it really hard for current lade owners to get good resale value. I've seen this sort of thing in the classifieds, where someone is trying to sell an 04 Chevy truck for 24k while you can get an 05 truck for the same price (with the available rebates).