: Maggie+Rearend Diff = Warranty Worries

VELOSE
06-01-05, 02:48 AM
I was talking with my service writer about having them install the Maggie. I asked him if he or "they"(Cadillac Warranty) would still warrant the "V" for any warranty issues in the future? His answer was, "we will not void your warranty and would still do as much as we could under warranty providing that the Maggie is not to blame. However, if you breakdown somewhere out of the area, and you end up getting towed to another Cadillac dealership, you might find yourself with a voided warranty. Other dealerships will not be so forgiving." My next question was, what about the rearend? I've been reading on the forums that the rearend diffs are going out and it's becoming too common. What will you do if I run into rearend diff number 2 being replaced? His reply was, "there is only so much the warranty will cover before questions from Cadillac warranty begins to send an inspector to evaluate the car. When that happens, and they see the Maggie, your warranty will be void." My final question was, so eventhough I had the dealership install the maggie, and you provide this item as a part of your parts bin, you couldn't protect me from losing my warranty? He said, "NO."

This is the only reason why I'm weary about doing the Maggie install. I'm worried about that rearend diff. Can anyone in here tell me how early in miles their first diff went out? Also, how many miles are they enduring before they go out? One more thing, would you think you drive the car hard and that most of the time when you shift, your rear wheels hop? I'm just trying to compare if my kind of driving, which doesn't cause wheelhop as often, would have a lower chance of a rearend diff going out. Thanks.....:D

PneuBird
06-01-05, 02:57 AM
I'm on my second diff and hoping I don't hear any more noise out of it. First diff had a ton of metal in it at 7000 miles. Clean lube is happy lube!!! And remember to "Beat the cubes once a day....it keeps them happy!!" :lildevil:

thebigjimsho
06-01-05, 09:56 AM
At least you don't have to worry about your frontend diff.

lawfive
06-01-05, 11:08 AM
At least you don't have to worry about your frontend diff.

:rofl:

lawfive
06-01-05, 11:15 AM
Your warranty won't be voided per se. They may deny a claim for your differential, in which case a battle should ensue to prove whether the problem is related to the blower. But other, non-powertrain problems should be covered with no debate.

BTW: Through your friends and neighbors on this board, you should be able to scare up empirical evidence that differential problems are endemic to the V.

Overall Moral: If you want to play, you may have to pay.

lundperformance
06-01-05, 01:02 PM
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

If you don't want to worry about warranty issues, don't do it. At alot of dealerships (lord knows I personally have had my battles with some bmw dealerships with one of my cars), you are guilty unless proven innocent.

They are more then happy to try to charge you for work unless you can prove that the supercharger didn't break whatever you are trying to warrantee. I know that where I work from what I've heard there haven't been many issues in regards to things like that but by now all our techs are pretty familiar with seeing supercharged V's as we sell 2-3 a month from what I've heard. But we don't see many failed diffs either because included in the package is a fix for the problem (which isn't sold seperately).

The hard part is, as was already stated, getting a super V worked on at a dealership not familiar with them.

EDIT: specifically, the fix is to wheel-hop, which partially has been found to lead to premature diff. failure from what I've been told.

wildwhl
06-01-05, 01:56 PM
:hmm: lundperformance fix for rear diff?

My current diff has nearly as many miles on it (all but 400 or so with the Maggie installed) as did my previous two diffs. No noises yet. Of course, I did swap the fluid after breakin miles to Royal Purple...YMMV. So, that means I have almost 4,000 Maggie miles under my belt.

I believe the keys are as follows:

1) Breakin easy? Maybe not - this one wasnt' necessarily.
2) Must change fluid early on - and I believe either the GM fluid or an aftermarket synthetic replacement will suffice - the key is getting the breakin contaminents out of the original fluid.
3) Wheel hop breaks things. When it is hopping - let off the loud pedal.
4) Anything, and I mean anything, can be broken if not treated properly. How hard do I drive? Pretty darn hard - call it a 7 on a 10 scale.

Lawfive has it right:

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, YOU "MAY" HAVE TO PAY!

VELOSE
06-01-05, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys for answering my questions. I guess I'm not ready to "Pay to play." I'm gonna run it stock for one complete year. I'm gonna get it out of the garage and drive it more. Specially with the nice weather out here in Cali. I guess my final decision on the Maggie won't come until I feel more confident with more miles on the car. Right now I have 4,800 miles. I want to see if my style of driving helps avoid rearend diff problems.:coffee:

lawfive
06-01-05, 03:25 PM
I don't drive as hard as WildWheel (who does? :o). I put six months of driving on the car stock, with no diff problems. I now have four months on the car with a blower, also with no diff problems. Seems to me that one (or both) of two things is happening here:

1. Luck of the draw: some diffs are more equal than others.

2. Some guys are launching the shit out of their cars, and they break.

The Magnacharger kit will be around for a while. Take your time and see if your diff goes bad without it. Based on my experience, if it doesn't go bad without the blower then it won't go bad with the blower, all things being equal (e.g. your driving style doesn't change).

If you get bored while waiting, install a UUC shifter.

globed70
06-01-05, 03:52 PM
I call BS on the "secret" Lund solution to wheelhop. If a real solution was developed, then Lund could make plenty of $ on all of us. Sounds more like a scheme to get the big $ package sold. If not, prove it (and one 'customer' posting isn't proof of anything).

GNSCOTT
06-01-05, 04:53 PM
If your powertrain warranty is ever voided you will have a MUCH tougher time selling the car. I would not install a Maggie unless I was willing to have everything brought back to stock BEFORE I brought it to the dealer for warranty work. I have seen cases where the dealer said they would be hush , hush about it and then a GM service tech wants to see the car before the repair, or a new service manager comes in that is not so forgiving, or someone accidentally puts it into the computer that your car has a blower, etc, not to mention your dealer has you by the balls. If you ever not happy with your service, you cannot complain. ie. the dealership puts a dent in your door and says it was there the whole time.

lundperformance
06-01-05, 06:21 PM
I, personally, am the only one that reads this forum, I think. I do it with my own time. No one ever told me to come here, or create this account. I will probably create a new account and stop using this one, because I dont want to be thought of as like, trying to sell stuff here. Yes, I work at lund. No, I'm not trying to sell anything to the people here or to say that lund is the best. Although we do have free icecream.

I love cars, and the CTS, and figured I would be able to provide like, insider information on certain things I'm exposed to working in a place like this.

Even though I'm not the lowest man on the totem pole here, I'm still "the new guy" since I haven't worked here for 7+ years like everyone else, so often I ask a question and get the briefest of answers and then get blown off.

To the best of my knowledge, the fix they made is a custom machined pedestal and custom valved shock absorbers and a few other pieces. I asked if they were available and was told they are only available as part of the kit or on a new cts-v that we supercharge and sell as-is. The reasoning is unknown to me.

wildwhl
06-01-05, 07:01 PM
Although we do have free icecream.

Good enough for me...welcome to the forums...lurk as you wish...and provide insider news when you can ;)

MN CTS-VETT
06-01-05, 07:43 PM
Thanks much lundperformance. Having a willing participant at a dealership that sells that many V's is a worthy comrad. After living in Phoenix for 5 years and working as a reliability engineer at Honeywell Aerospace, I can honestly say, this town has a harsh environment for anything that requires fluid lubicant. Your info and future updates on the drivetrain/Maggy combo is valuable. Keep it coming!

VELOSE
06-01-05, 08:08 PM
I, personally, am the only one that reads this forum, I think. I do it with my own time. No one ever told me to come here, or create this account. I will probably create a new account and stop using this one, because I dont want to be thought of as like, trying to sell stuff here. Yes, I work at lund. No, I'm not trying to sell anything to the people here or to say that lund is the best. Although we do have free icecream.

I love cars, and the CTS, and figured I would be able to provide like, insider information on certain things I'm exposed to working in a place like this.

Even though I'm not the lowest man on the totem pole here, I'm still "the new guy" since I haven't worked here for 7+ years like everyone else, so often I ask a question and get the briefest of answers and then get blown off.

To the best of my knowledge, the fix they made is a custom machined pedestal and custom valved shock absorbers and a few other pieces. I asked if they were available and was told they are only available as part of the kit or on a new cts-v that we supercharge and sell as-is. The reasoning is unknown to me.

Thanks for your insider information. Without this thread being created, and you posting on it, all of us on here would not have known as promptly about an anti-wheel hop kit that was included in Lund Performance's Maggie kit. Thanks for helping out in our dilemna. :D

thebigjimsho
06-01-05, 08:31 PM
:farting: :contract: :violin: :littlewes :gnome:

nukeduster
06-01-05, 08:53 PM
This is Rich, formerly "lund performance". Didn't want people thinking that I was going to "secretly" run around advertising our inventory under a different user account. This is the account I'll be posting with from now on. Mostly so I can be more opinionated about things and not have it look like my opinion reflects that of my company. Anyways, I'll quit wasting bandwidth now.