: the STS almost doesnt start...any ideas?

1fastSTS
05-31-05, 08:27 PM
When i first wake up in the morning and go to start my car or if i start my car after 2 hours from driving it...immediatly it will start up, but if i go to a store and come back 3 or 5 minutes later and start up,..it almost doesnt start...just wondering what ya guys think about that...anyone have the same thing happen??

i changed my fuel filter...my spark plugs and wires were changed recently
i run injection cleaner after everytime i change my oil. changed my PCV valve...everythings up to date with maintenance. just struck me as wierd..

mcowden
05-31-05, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a hot restart problem, which sounds like a fuel pressure regulator. Have you checked that yet? Take the vacuum line off and if you see fuel, replace the FPR.

Ranger
05-31-05, 10:52 PM
I agree with Mcowden. Do the FPR check as he suggested with the engine running and stop using so much injector cleaner or you'll be replacing a fuel pump or injectors soon.

mcowden
05-31-05, 11:07 PM
I agree with Mcowden. Do the FPR check as he suggested with the engine running and stop using so much injector cleaner or you'll be replacing a fuel pump or injectors soon.

That's an excellent point, Ranger. Injector cleaners can contain various solvents that are not good for the plastic components of the fuel system. Overuse of injector cleaners can degrade certain plastics, and that could include the diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator, coatings on the windings of the fuel pump or injectors, nylon fuel hoses or nylon fuel rails (hint, get the stainless steel one installed per the recall). Once in a while is fine for injector cleaners, but every 3k might be too much. I still think the FPR is the issue, but you gotta check it out.

Injector deposits occur mostly when the engine is heated up and then cooled down. So if you're driving around town shopping, shutting the engine off for an hour or so between trips, that's probably ideal conditions for deposits. If you start and stop it twice a day for the most part, that's probably not happening to nearly the same degree and injector cleaner every 3k is way excessive. Once a year is probably fine, using a good quality product such as Chevron Techron (polyether amine) and following the label directions. That's just my opinion.

1fastSTS
06-01-05, 05:52 PM
oh!!! excellent. didnt even think about that, ill do that check, thanks for the help guys

eldorado1
06-01-05, 06:21 PM
You could also be in the leaking injector club... (welcome?) :helpless: