: Doing First Tune Up

Yaemish
05-31-05, 03:50 PM
I am going to do my first tune up on my Northstar and would like a little additional help. Can someone plaese point me to a site on the internet that I can purchase new plugs and wires from (part numbers?)? I would like to get the same ones that GM puts into the car. Secondly, I'm at 84,000 and was wondering if I need to actually change the wires as well, I'm not concerned about cost in this department.

I'm going to need to buy the tool to remove them so i will need a site for that as well. Anything else that I need to know? I plan on having someone do the fuel filter for me.

fullserviceman
05-31-05, 04:35 PM
www.autozone.com or www.partsamerica.com they have the correct ac delco platinum plugs (usually good for 100,000 miles plus so I hear) the wires in my experience pull apart upon removal so probably should change them

WoodShoe
05-31-05, 05:32 PM
The plug wires are expensive (280CDN$ around here) so if you dont notice any rough idling or poor performance after changing plugs I would suggest you leave them until u do. Pretty easy to change the plugs, the tool is just a deep socket that comes in most standart tool kits, u just need a long extention. A couple of the plugs can b a pain to get 2 at the back, but no need 2 remove anything else other than that cover. Although if u remove the coil pack it will become a lot easier. Pretty easy to remove all the wires obviously..getting them back to original look/feel, can b rather frustrating.

Yaemish
05-31-05, 07:08 PM
I found someone that will do plugs, wires, clean the TB, and install a new fuel filter for $375 + tax. At this price would it just be worth it to let him do it?

Ranger
05-31-05, 10:14 PM
I bought my plugs locally for $6 ea. Wires cost me $112 from http://www.rockauto.com. Not sure what a fuel filter costs. You'll have to do the math and decide what your time and labor are worth.

Eldyfig
06-03-05, 10:54 AM
Like Ranger said, plugs are about $6/ea. They are ACDelco platinums, model # 41-950. Personally, I would change out the wires also. I have never pulled any apart while removing, but if you change them out you will know then that you have a good set in there with a long life ahead of them.

As far as having someone do it for $375+, you could clean the TB, change the plugs, wires, and fuel filter for about close to $150. And of course some of your time.

powerglide
06-03-05, 01:16 PM
yup, if you've never done the work before it will probably take you a couple hours maybe a bit more.....assuming you have the tools like a floor jack, jack stands, socket wrench with extensions. (its still cheaper to DIY even if you have to buy some tools)

Its not hard to do and very satisfying.....but if your time is worth more than 70$/hr just get it done.....otherwise enjoy a little DIY

Yaemish
06-03-05, 01:44 PM
I don't plan on doing the fuel filter myself. I shouldn't need to jack the car then should I?

Eldyfig
06-03-05, 02:31 PM
No reason for a jack or stands if not doig the fuel filter. But, honestly, the fuel filter is simpler to take care of than the rest of it. But, if you don't have a jack...

powerglide
06-03-05, 02:32 PM
I don't plan on doing the fuel filter myself. I shouldn't need to jack the car then should I?

In that case you wouldn't need a jack or stands....

....I was informed that fuel filters last the life of the car.....not sure though.....maybe you don't need to bother with it.

I think a typical Northstar tune-up only involves:

plugs
wires
air filter
oil filter
oil change
coolant drain and refill

thats all I did for mine

zonie77
06-03-05, 08:20 PM
Where did you hear fuel filters last the life of the car? I would like to reference this.

EcSTSatic
06-03-05, 10:02 PM
....I was informed that fuel filters last the life of the car.....not sure though.....maybe you don't need to bother with it.

That's ridiculus! No mechanic would make that claim. It's a filter...designed to trap debris and be replaced when fuel flow gets restricted. Maybe in a lab it would stay clean but not in the real world.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tsk.gif

Ranger
06-03-05, 10:28 PM
Bbob once said that the "fuel filter is just along for the ride. No need to change it unless it is causing a problem". I tend to agree.

EcSTSatic
06-03-05, 10:43 PM
Bbob once said that the "fuel filter is just along for the ride. No need to change it unless it is causing a problem". I tend to agree.

I agree also. My point was it's a consumable - not a lifetime part.

powerglide
06-04-05, 12:25 AM
That's ridiculus! No mechanic would make that claim. It's a filter...designed to trap debris and be replaced when fuel flow gets restricted. Maybe in a lab it would stay clean but not in the real world.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tsk.gif

ofcourse......everything wears out....just a matter of timescale.

powerglide
06-04-05, 12:25 AM
Where did you hear fuel filters last the life of the car? I would like to reference this.

Jimmy said he read it somewhere......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41308

zonie77
06-04-05, 12:48 AM
"I think I read somewhere that the fuel filter is meant to last the life of the car. I changed mine because of the flood (and out of desperation because I had no fuel to the engine when I first got the car). I wouldn't change the EGR unless the PCM told me to (it will know if it fails). I don't think the PCV would have an impact on fuel economy.

Jim"

OK, Jim has some good info but this wasn't some of it (sorry Turbojimmy).

Yaemish
06-20-05, 01:29 PM
I went to Rockauto and added the Delco plugs and fuel filter to the basket. What about the wire set? Should I be sticking with Delco or will Bosche be alright?

powerglide
06-20-05, 01:36 PM
go with Delco

Ranger
06-20-05, 03:20 PM
Delco

oldgamer
06-20-05, 04:56 PM

That's right. Even more, I think that related to plugs and wires too.
Yaemish, you have 84K, right? My car almost the same, has ~70K and I never even opened beauty cover. What for?
The termin "tune up" doesn't exist for the Northstar. I know, sometimes I feel itchy to do something too.
My advise: if it runs great and not missing don't just change anything yet.

eldorado1
06-20-05, 05:43 PM
if it runs great and not missing don't just change anything yet.

Yeah, it'll break soon enough. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/evilsmile.gif

(Give it time grasshopper.) http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/ill.gif

powerglide
06-20-05, 06:08 PM
Lol!

Yaemish
06-20-05, 08:15 PM
i ordered them, don't know if I need them. I'm just going on the fact that sometimes when i floor it, the car is hesitant like something is missing. Another thing is, when I don't give it enough when turning the ingition and I stop shrt, the car makes a backfire noise. Are these wire/plug symptoms?

powerglide
06-20-05, 09:00 PM
could be....hard to say....

did it trip a DTC?

a ignition coil on its way out could do similar things I suppose.

See if the new plugs and wires do the job. (ps I needed new plugs/wires around the 75K miles mark as I recall.....since then I had two ignition coils die (now at 93K miles))

Yaemish
06-20-05, 09:11 PM
I mean it runs well, something just seems to be a little off. There weren't any codes. Would the ignition coild be responsible for the backfire if I don't turn the ignition long enough?

powerglide
06-20-05, 09:22 PM
Backfire....I don't think so.....but I am just guessing.

The sensation of 'hiccups' or non-smooth accelration could be coil/plug/wire related though.....then again it could also be fuel delivery related (eg fuel filter, injector, maybe sticky TB etc)

Maybe someone with more experience could jump in and post something helpful.

Yaemish
06-20-05, 09:24 PM
I cleaned the TB last September so I wouldn't think that it got that bad quickly. I recall this one time I was going 30 and just hammered it and the car didn't really take off and goto WOT as fast as it sometimes does. Hopefully this might make some difference, can't hurt.

powerglide
06-20-05, 09:26 PM
It can't hurt, thats for sure.
Plus, from what I have gathered, its the basic first step to tracking down 'issues' of this nature.....I think you're doing the right thing.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

turbojimmy
11-19-05, 07:29 AM
OK, Jim has some good info but this wasn't some of it (sorry Turbojimmy).

I just found this thread now when I accidentally searched on my name. That was not great information. The manual says "There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement." but that does not mean it's designed to last the life of the car. The manual says to replace it if you suspect it's clogged.

Jim

lry99eldo
11-19-05, 08:09 AM
In a previous post on this page the writer said, "I don't give it enough when turning the ignition" and then indicates a backfire. I'm surprised no one caught this one.
Never "give it" anything while cranking the engine during start. It is fuel injected and calibrated for closed throttle starts. Opening the throttle will lean out the starting mixture, fuel injection has no throttle pump to introduce additional fuel.
lry99eldo

Tommy Deville
02-01-06, 03:33 AM
delco

mtflight
02-01-06, 05:08 PM
I mean it runs well, something just seems to be a little off. There weren't any codes. Would the ignition coild be responsible for the backfire if I don't turn the ignition long enough?

I've had the situation where you don't turn the ignition long enough--you get a backfire.

I've read that it may be related to a leaky FPR (fuel pressure regulator). Do a search involving FPR and backfire or a combination of other keywords, and you may find what I read.

EDIT: OOPS! i just realized that this is an old tread that someone brought back to life.

N0DIH
02-01-06, 07:01 PM
I just did plugs on my mom's 97 Deville, the OEM plugs were 41-947's. But I don't see them anymore. They looked decent at 93K miles. Do not pull the plugs unless the engine is cold, DO NOT do warm. They looked like another 20-30K wouldn't be much of an issue, but the car did respond with 3 mpg better overall with new plugs.

Like Ranger said, plugs are about $6/ea. They are ACDelco platinums, model # 41-950. Personally, I would change out the wires also. I have never pulled any apart while removing, but if you change them out you will know then that you have a good set in there with a long life ahead of them.

As far as having someone do it for $375+, you could clean the

TB, change the plugs, wires, and fuel filter for about close to $150. And of course some of your time.

My mom's was backfiring before I started on cold start, that problem is gone now. FPR looked good, no evidence of leakage.