: Parts for our cars

carguy16
05-30-05, 09:19 PM
If you get into an accident, people raise prises for these outlanidshly, I guess they think you can afford a Caddy you can afford the rip off prices for parts. Looking at junkyards online they want $100.00 to $200.00 for cracked and chipped grilles, thats bull shit. Ive seen a hood as high as $700.00 bucks used, what a mess.

My bumper took a really good hit, but I cant tell if it can be re-used or not, the bumper did not scratch or bend in, just the componentry behind it. I wouldnt mind re-using the bumper, I just dont know if its warped in any way, any comments? I have alot of confidence in the bumper, the new bumpers on cars these days are jokes, they are made of wafers :yawn: .

BluEyes
05-31-05, 04:05 PM
Tough time with a newer car as well. You might try looking at the u-pull yards. They probably won't be able to tell you what they have in there, you just have to look, but on the up side they usually don't care what year/make/model the part is from - just a flat rate for each type of part.

As for the bumpers, I know they look laughable but that is what absorbs the energy of the impact. Yes, they are basically one-use for a real impact, but alot of energy goes into tearing up that stuff so it doesn't hurt the frame of the car as much. It is also influenced by the whole federal 5-mph bumper requirement and all.

carguy16
05-31-05, 05:08 PM
I think my bumper is still good, it is only leaning down at this point, just need the brackets and crap to hold it in place.

Tough time with a newer car as well. You might try looking at the u-pull yards. They probably won't be able to tell you what they have in there, you just have to look, but on the up side they usually don't care what year/make/model the part is from - just a flat rate for each type of part.

As for the bumpers, I know they look laughable but that is what absorbs the energy of the impact. Yes, they are basically one-use for a real impact, but alot of energy goes into tearing up that stuff so it doesn't hurt the frame of the car as much. It is also influenced by the whole federal 5-mph bumper requirement and all.