: Climate Control 1983 CDV

leftoverture
05-30-05, 05:59 PM
Hope I'm in the right forum for this. I have a 1983 Coupe DeVille. Problem with the climate control: when I have it set at 60 and "auto", it blows nice and cold. Always at high fan speed. Any other setting, including "off" and "auto with temp over 60" and the thing blows hot air. When in off position, sometimes it blows warm through the floor vents and then sometimes it switches over and blows warm through defroster.

I don't have a clue where to start looking for the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

David Biarritz
03-10-14, 07:38 AM
Hi, I have a similar problem with my 1983 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe.
If I set the Climate Control on 60 and switch to high, the fan will be very noisy and blowing cold air.
But still set on 60 and set to low or auto, the fan can't be heard and will not blow cold as the cabin heats up too hot.
This can't be working properly. Can anyone help me with this?

carnut
03-10-14, 12:54 PM
There are 2 things to verify. Pull the glove box liner out, you will see 2 things: a ribbed hose going from the programmer up to the in-car temp sensor in the dash. Make sure that hose is not kinked and is attached at both ends. And a threaded metal rod attached to the top of the programmer. Start the car and change the display to 60 degrees. The rod should move slowly and smoothly to close the blend door. Now go to 90 degrees, watch the rod, it should move slowly and smoothly to fully open the blend door. If it does not, you most likely have a faulty stepper motor in the programmer. For the system to regulate temp it must get a sample of air from the in-car temp sensor and the rod must move smoothly to alter the angle of the blend door. You can simply disconnect the rod from its clip and move it manually to verify the blend door is not bound up. My best guess is the sensor hose is either off or kinked. All of this is assuming the A/C is full and functional and the car is getting to normal operating temperature (195 degrees)