: Shopping for a Vert: Sebring, Miata, or Cutlass?

Jesda
05-29-05, 03:54 PM
Looking to spend under 7 grand for a convertible this late summer/early fall.

I've driven the Miata, and the aftermarket for parts and accessories is massive. Its chuckable in the corners and super cheap on gas and maintenance. However, it lacks the "grand tourer" look of two other cars I've considered: the Chrysler Sebring (96-00) and Olds Cutlass Convertible (91-95).

I've driven the Sebring, and enjoy the comfort, decent handling, and looks. However, there seem to be a few too many of them on the road, perhaps for a good reason.

The Cutlass Supreme on the other hand was available with a 215hp 3.4L DOHC V6. Trunk space on the Sebring and Cutlass are tremendous, so I'd have all the room I currently have with my Q45, but in a topless form.

But then, the Miata is RWD and absolutely fantastic through narrow mountain roads and around corners.

What would you guys pick? I've never driven the Cutlass, but love the rear buckets and clean linear styling. My Q45 is RWD and hard to manage sometimes in the snow, so perhaps a Miata wouldn't be wise as a second vehicle.

A couple things to note: Resale on the last-generation Sebring is ridiculously low, which makes it pretty attractive. Mazda's long term reliability and build quality makes a Miata as old as 1990 a good buy if miles are reasonably low. The Cutlass might begin appreciating in value due to its rarity and the demise of Oldsmobile.

I'm lost and undecided.

adam_mcd
05-29-05, 04:39 PM
ooh shoudlve bought a conv earlier..much cheaper (well around the rainy NW, they are). sebring...go with the sebring. miatas are fine and dandy, but if you want style, a smooth quiet ride, and something people would look at and go "wow that guy has it made" and not "wow that guy is either a mid 20's female or a middle aged mid life crisis" with the miata. the olds...thats up to you. i love the old olds' (60-late 70's), but not a big fan of the later ones. but it seems you are, so if you can find a good one, go for it.

Ralph
05-29-05, 04:53 PM
I think Miatas are just too tiny. The Sebring always had comfortable seats imo and I sat in a new one on the lot yesterday. You're certainly right about the depreciation but I don't think you will be concerned over that if you just want a cheap summer car, etc.

In the end, go with what you feel is the best price, options, comfort, etc.

airbalancer
05-29-05, 04:53 PM
Look for E36 conv would the best looking out there

Jesda
05-29-05, 10:49 PM
Is that the 1992+ BMW 3-series? I wonder how maintenance costs are.

Adam
05-29-05, 11:11 PM
me personally, would go with the Cutlass. but i like Cutlass' and dont really care for the other 2 so my opinion is pretty biased.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-29-05, 11:19 PM
i think its great to see people are still warm to the Cutlass Vert ...that was a VERY pretty car .....i hope my preditions that they will eventually go up in value come true ...

its a very nice car ....

Stoneage_Caddy
05-29-05, 11:22 PM
some pics

http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/BROLSUPCNV945.JPG

http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/BROLSUPCNV946.JPG

Ralph
05-29-05, 11:44 PM
me personally, would go with the Cutlass. but i like Cutlass' and dont really care for the other 2 so my opinion is pretty biased.

Except the side impact safety rating.......I think it was only one star?

powerglide
05-29-05, 11:54 PM
i prefer the cutlass if you can find one....the headlights, seats, the rollbar are all distinct and cool!

here's a rare bird:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6142&item=4551475917&rd=1

Stoneage_Caddy
05-30-05, 12:01 AM
a 91 Reatta Convertible would be a even more rare find ....

the olds had heads up display also

fast66
05-30-05, 12:02 AM
Get the cutlass. A lot better looking.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-30-05, 12:04 AM
this should get jesdas attention LOL ...

http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/BRBUREACONV911.JPG
http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/BRBUREACONV912.JPG

Jesda
05-30-05, 12:16 AM
Reatta looks great! Here's a pristine Cutlass:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552016171&category=6405

Sold for over 7 grand.

Ralph
05-30-05, 12:19 AM
Reatta looks great! Here's a pristine Cutlass:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552016171&category=6405

Sold for over 7 grand.

I wouldn't have changed the radio in that, to keep it original, unless he can put it back.

What about a Mustang conv. Those last gen GT's are nice converts.

Jesda
05-30-05, 12:45 AM
The 94-98 Mustang GT always looked a little goofy to me without a hardtop. Only way I could afford a 99+ Mustang convertible is if I got a V6. A V6 Mustang feels like a rolling fraud.

RocketFast321
05-30-05, 02:39 AM
Turbo LaBaron :cool:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/253000-253999/253828_1_full.jpg
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/253828/1

Early 90s Cutless with full digital dash comes in second :)

davesdeville
05-30-05, 03:26 AM
I'd go with a V6 Cutlass, 210-215hp 3.4 if possible or at least a 155-160hp 3100 or a pre-2000 Sebring V6. The Sebrings 2.5 v6 put out 150-168hp. The Sebring is about 300 pounds lighter so a 3.4 Cutlass would smoke a V6 Sebring, but a 3100 would be fairly close in performance. Lebarons were funky looking but a turbo 2.2 or 2.5 with a 5 speed manual would be fun.

For reference:

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Conv. 8.5 16.5
1990 Chrysler LeBaron GTC 7.2 15.8 <--2.2 VNT Turbo IV
1996 Chrysler Sebring JXi Conv. 10.0 17.4
1998 Chrysler Sebring JXi Conv. 10.2 17.6
1990 Mazda Miata 9.4 16.9
1991 Mazda Miata 9.1 16.7
1994 Mazda Miata 9.7 17.0
1996 Mazda Miata 8.7 16.6
1999 Mazda Miata 7.9 15.9

If you want people to question your sexuality at least 5 times a day, get a Miata.

Jesda
05-30-05, 04:21 AM
I'm a chubby asian who picks his nose and passes gas. No one's going to question my sexuality. :)

I'd probably get a british racing green Miata with tan leather or cloth if I got one, to emulate the MG roadster look. I hate bright red sports cars. They scream "LOOK! I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE!"

What will more likely determine my purchase is the lack of Cutlass verts on the market. Sebrings are plentiful, Miatas even more.

HotRodSaint
05-30-05, 12:32 PM
I owned a '94 Miata R package. The R package was produced in low numbers, and was made specially for SCCA racing.

It came with stiffer Bilstien shocks, as well as power steering and A/C delete. Of course they had no pwer windows or door locks. I think they also produced them in '95.

As someone whom likes to 'drive', and is not ruled by what other people think about me, I'd go for the Miata. (Just don't join the clubs, they are filled with 'tourers' and not 'racers'.)

Besides, some of us think that all FWD Oldsmobile owners are old women. :)

I've always thought that the VW Cabrio would be a decent used car value too.

And lastly, why is it that guys shy away from so-called 'chick' cars. If chicks dig them, then shouldn't guys buy them? Or do these type of guys prefer the attention of guys instead of chicks? :eek:

Jesda
05-30-05, 12:48 PM
I generally believe that women have questionable taste in cars, such as the junky and clunky Eclipse. The vast majority of Miata owners are 20-45 year old men who long for a British driving experience from something that isn't made there.

Me, I'm a tourer. Find me some hills, sights, or mountains and give me a camera. I'll disappear for days.

c5 rv
05-30-05, 01:18 PM
Miata: This is a car for driving enjoyment. It's not fast (unless you add some aftermarket fun), but it is very quick. It's not a great freeway cruiser, but wonderful on back roads and around small towns. My wife had one with the removeable hardtop and winter tires and it was great in the snow. You can get a surprising amount of soft-sided luggage in the trunk, especially in the 1999 and later models. I want to see the redesigned '06 and may consider buying one with my brother-in-law's Ford discount.

Honda Del Sol: They were made from 93-97 and are basically a 2-seat civic with a targa top. The top stores on a rack in the truck and there's still plenty of storage back there even with the top stored. The cab is a bit larger than the Miata's plus there are storage bins and space behind the seats. The only negatives are fwd and a tendency for some to leak rain around the window seals. I'd like to find one for my son who will get his license this summer.

Cadillac Allante: if you're considering larger, early '90s vehicles, check out Allantes in your area. They certainly have more style than an Olds or Chrysler.

SilverCTS
05-30-05, 02:48 PM
My neighbor has a new Miata. It is very nice, but I would hate to be in an accident with one of those.

Night Wolf
05-30-05, 04:40 PM
The Cutlass..... by far...

I really love that car, perhaps the only thing I don't like is the "basket handle" roll bar....

if you could get them with the 5spd... atleast the V6 with a 5spd, I would own one... but I am kinda getting tired of automatics....

davesdeville
05-30-05, 07:25 PM
And lastly, why is it that guys shy away from so-called 'chick' cars. If chicks dig them, then shouldn't guys buy them? Or do these type of guys prefer the attention of guys instead of chicks? :eek:

Chicks dig cute cars. Chicks do not usually dig guys who drive cute cars.

davesdeville
05-30-05, 07:29 PM
It probably wouldn't be hard to swap a Getrag 284 in one of the Cutlasses. Even a Getrag 282 would hold up since they're not too powerful or heavy. I'm going junkyard hunting for a 284 to put in the ETC in a couple weeks.

HotRodSaint
05-31-05, 12:40 AM
Chicks dig cute cars. Chicks do not usually dig guys who drive cute cars.

It's been awhile since I was in high school. The chicks I date, dig guys who own their own house and they could care less about the car they drive.

Ralph
05-31-05, 01:19 AM
Here's a convertible for you. But it would appear GM changed their mind and won't build it now (though you never know).

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2004/newyork/highlights/index5.html

davesdeville
05-31-05, 02:03 AM
It's been awhile since I was in high school. The chicks I date, dig guys who own their own house and they could care less about the car they drive.

Congratulations on being old and all but that's not what you were talking about anyway. Read what you posted and what I quoted once more and maybe you won't change the subject and try to make me look dumb.

Playdrv4me
05-31-05, 02:28 PM
Cutlass. One of the few Oldsmobiles I ever liked. Otherwise Allante.

RBraczyk
05-31-05, 05:30 PM
http://www.azcarsandtrucks.com/olds6376.html

D148L0
05-31-05, 08:34 PM
They get wiser...

Oh, I like the miata best out of those 3.

ShadowLvr400
05-31-05, 08:36 PM
Actually, I'd look at an early 90's Mustang perhaps. (I'd go for the miata from your list, except I'm not comfortable in them.) Cheap, looks halfway decent when done right, easy to mod, easy to repair. Not the most reliable, but parts are so cheap...