: What goes around, comes around

HotRodSaint
10-27-03, 10:59 AM
EDWARD LAPHAM COMMENTARY: What goes around, comes around

By Edward Lapham
Automotive News / October 24, 2003
With the Tokyo auto show in full swing, the eyes of the automotive world are focused on Japan.

That’s why there has been so much talk lately about the future of the industry there, especially the situation facing Toyota’s massive industrial complex at Toyota City, which is losing work to factories outside Japan.

Toyota’s Japanese workforce was once considered to be the most efficient in the world. But like everybody else, Toyota can now source parts -- and vehicles -- cheaper in places like Korea and China.

Now, for the first time, Toyota even plans to export passenger cars made in England back to Japan.

Around here, losing jobs to other countries is a persistent concern. It’s a global lesson that what goes around, comes around.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=6803

Stoneage_Caddy
10-27-03, 03:57 PM
seems the cheapest place to produce a car isnt in your back yard , rather someone elses

dude , who is that in your avatar , im sure you have to awnser it often , im thinking a dead president , but im unsure

HotRodSaint
10-27-03, 04:51 PM
who is that in your avatar

Henry Leland :cool:

Stoneage_Caddy
10-27-03, 05:37 PM
not of brittish motoring fame was he ?

man i think i suck at history anymore , i used to know this stuff

HotRodSaint
10-27-03, 06:56 PM
not of brittish motoring fame was he ?

man i think i suck at history anymore , i used to know this stuff

Hint: He founded two luxury car companies. :D

BeelzeBob
10-27-03, 07:08 PM
Cadillac and then Lincoln. :D

HotRodSaint
10-27-03, 08:47 PM
Cadillac and then Lincoln. :D

DING DING DING

We have a winner!!

davesdeville
10-27-03, 10:22 PM
dude , who is that in your avatar , im sure you have to awnser it often , im thinking a dead president , but im unsure

No no no, that's Colonial Sanders of the KFC. :bouncy:

lev
11-01-03, 01:19 AM
Well it looks like America is not the only country with the prblem of jobs going overseas.
Japan, another power house, is suffering form the same trait. And I'm sure Europe is tha way, too.
That is called postindustialism, when economy starts consisting of services, rather than goods.
And if the whole Middle East thing gets fixed, eventually, decades from now, they will shift all of their manufacturers in some third world country, too.

I wonder when will the trend stop since if it doesn't, no one will be manufacturing and everyone will be servicing?
Who can answer that?

Ralph
11-01-03, 01:24 AM
Fear Naught! Things may not be that bad, on the news today thay announced that the U.S. economy is up something like 7.4%, the most growth since 1983 or 4. So, it seems like more Americans are buying American cars, or other products "home-made" to boot.