: Test for cam position sensors 98+?

kingsize
05-28-05, 10:37 AM
Hey guys,

Anyone out there know if there is a test procedure for the cam position sensors on a 98-99 Northstar? I have some symptoms of one possibly going bad on me, but it is occasional. Can I pull them off and test them some sort of way?

Thanks Much!

mcowden
05-28-05, 04:17 PM
There is no way to test them off the car, but it's possible a Tech-2 scanner would be able to verify the presence or absence of signal from the sensors while the engine is running. My dad had a similar problem and they were able to tell him that the sensors were fine, and they were. Not sure if they were using a T2 or something similar such as the Snap-On tool, whatever that thing is called. Don't plan on buying a T2 or the SO device, though, unless you have lots and lots of additional scratch on hand, like several thousand of it. GM dealerships have them, of course, and reputable mechanic's shops would have them and will charge you a diagnostic fee.

kingsize
05-31-05, 05:23 PM
Thanks mcowden,

I have an appointment tomorrow to have a guy run the diagnostic check on the car. I'm hoping it's something as simple as the cam sensors. I haven't been real lucky with this thing in the last six months. :(

Take care.