: stuck at this part

starfox86
05-28-05, 11:09 AM
I am in the middle of repairing the head gasket on my 94 seville sls, I am stuck at this part though. I cant get these bolts out, well except for one, but they are in there super good?...ANY ideas? should I use one of those air pressure guns??...........On the pic , I cant get the bolts out where the green is pointing...and do those two bolts come out as well where the pink is?
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=5eva1l

Concourson20s
05-28-05, 01:32 PM
My man you are a long way out. You still haven't even removed the timing chains which must be removed first before you begin to even look at the head bolts! Listen e-mail me g_vleazquez452@hotmail.com I will send you detailed instructions with pics if you need it.

growe3
05-28-05, 01:51 PM
If you are stuck at this point, it shows that you do not yet have the information to do the repair job correctly.

You really need to invest in the Helms Service Manuals for you car. Get them used or new (about $90), but get a set. There are numerous special methods to work on this engine and car that must be followed; not particularly difficult, just different.

It looks like the engine is still in the car, if so you need to know that it is VERY, VERY difficult to TRY and do the head gasket repair job, with the engine in the car.

The engine can be removed from the top, or the engine and transaxle from the bottom. I have done the head gasket and Timeserting on both of my 93 STS's from the top, and I would reccommend doing it that way.

My comment are not meant to discourage you, but as advice on doing a succesful repair.

-George

eldorado1
05-28-05, 03:28 PM
"You hear that? Sounded like a ton of bricks crushing a man's will."

Maybe he's just trying to do the front bank?

growe3
05-28-05, 04:01 PM
"You hear that? Sounded like a ton of bricks crushing a man's will."

Maybe he's just trying to do the front bank?

Absolutely not.

"My comment are not meant to discourage you, but as advice on doing a successful repair.

-George"

I am trying to help someone do a successful repair job, not just stand by and let them take apart their engine, until they have disassembled it to a point of no return, and then end up junking a repairable vehicle.

While it is possible to repair the head gasket while the engine is in the car, it is VERY DIFFICULT to do with a Northstar engine.

While I am not a complete expert on cars, I have built and repaired many high performance and stock engines as a hobby for over forty years, so I do have some experience to base my advice on.

Attached is a copy of one of my repair parts list. It may include a few items not needed on a particular car (such as the front engine mount), but is a pretty accurate list of the cost and items neede to do the job.

-George

eldorado1
05-28-05, 08:10 PM
I am trying to help someone do a successful repair job, not just stand by and let them take apart their engine, until they have disassembled it to a point of no return, and then end up junking a repairable vehicle.

While it is possible to repair the head gasket while the engine is in the car, it is VERY DIFFICULT to do with a Northstar engine.

I commend you for your efforts - but if he doesn't have the factory service manual, perhaps it was meant to end that way before he even started?

I don't know the details on the in-car head gasket repair, but from what I've seen, it should be easy enough to do from the front... Difficult if not impossible for the rear. While it's probably recommended to do both headgaskets at once, it's not uncommon to do just the leaking side...

In any case, I wish starfox luck, but I do sincerely hope he gets a service manual.

zonie77
05-28-05, 09:00 PM
Starfox,

I looked at your old posts.

Are you only doing the front head? Did you pressure test the cyls to be sure the back isn't bad?

Do you have the procedure to retime the cams?

What type of wrench are you using?

starfox86
05-28-05, 11:21 PM
alright, ...i guess I should pick up a service manual...I did not do a pressure test...but I am just going to replace the gaskets anyways. I DO have the procedure to retime the cams. ....Oh and I am doing both, front and back. I have come to the conclusion though that It is WAY to difficult to do the engine with it in the car so In a couple days I am raising It out to releive the headache and backache from reaching to the back side. SO...hopefully this will turn out good. and Growe3..no offence taken , thank you for your thoughts. :)

zonie77
05-28-05, 11:36 PM
I would recommend dropping the engine before you go any further.

With the right wrench those bolts come out.

eldorado1
05-29-05, 12:39 AM
alright, ...i guess I should pick up a service manual...I did not do a pressure test...but I am just going to replace the gaskets anyways. I DO have the procedure to retime the cams. ....Oh and I am doing both, front and back. I have come to the conclusion though that It is WAY to difficult to do the engine with it in the car so In a couple days I am raising It out to releive the headache and backache from reaching to the back side. SO...hopefully this will turn out good. and Growe3..no offence taken , thank you for your thoughts. :)

<sigh of relief>

It's not difficult to remove the engine, it's pretty straight forward. Took me about 3 hours, having never removed an engine before in my life... (but I have been around engines a lot). Just disconnect whatever's in the way, put the front cradle on a dolly, and raise the body out of the way, watching for interfering hoses or cables. Also note that one of the harness connectors on the driver's side disconnects with a bolt through the middle of it. It took me a long time to figure that one out. Good luck.

starfox86
05-29-05, 04:03 AM
Great, thanks guys. I will let you know how everything turns out. and yes, those bolts did indeed come out. it just took a little torque and they freed up.

Pjs
05-30-05, 11:54 AM
<sigh of relief>

Also note that one of the harness connectors on the driver's side disconnects with a bolt through the middle of it. It took me a long time to figure that one out. Good luck.

It might bear mentioning also that the PCM harness has a bulkhead connector at the firewall on the passenger side. Remove the 2 bolts on the flange and then you need to pull the PCM connectors from the PCM and gently feed them through the firewall. There is also a vaccum hose in the bundle