: A Message For Everyone

shreddedtires
05-28-05, 02:00 AM
I just want to say that since I adopted a 1988 Cadillac (68,142 ORIGINAL miles) as my own which was about a month ago; It has been a total learning experience. I never knew there were so many enthusiasts keeping these BIG, BEAUTIFUL cars running. This is an amazing website that has taught me how to do everything EXCEPT vertical doors. I'm gonna get a price quote on that on Monday... I'll share the info when I find out... I have a few questions about some off-typical modifications I'd like to have done... Like dual sidepipes -- lake pipe style down the length of the body... would I need aftermarket headers? I know that 307 has a FAT sound in it somewhere... I'm trying to build my fiancee a hot rod hearse, which happens to be a Cadillac. For everyone's info, this is the 2nd hearse I've had a stake of ownership in... My first hearse wasn't a Cadillac and I appreciate the quality that Cadillac put into these cars when they were built. I'm working on a design to put a Hilborn air scoop directly on the carb, with a hole cut out in the hood. At best, I would like the butterflies on the scoop to open with the throttle. I'll post pics of the "One Of A Kind" show car as it is created. We have big plans, monthly money, and all the spare time in the world. Either a vinyl or paint flamejob is in the works, consider it soon. My first hearse, I put flames down the sides... LONG sides... :yup: I just want, I guess, is to say a BIG Thank You to everyone who has been helpful to me. Pulling up an entire Carfax report was quite amazing... I would have never known that the car was in a frontal impact in 1998. Even gave me a link to the police report. I bought a Haynes Manual for the car, availiable at any AutoZone or parts shop worth a crap, for $16.99 and it has been invaluable. Buying one will answer half the questions asked in this newsgroup. I fixed the headlight wiring, windshield wiper motor, and a/c without having to buy a single part! Windshield wiper motor would have been $275.88 alone. THANK YOU GROUP!!!:thumbsup:

davesdeville
05-28-05, 04:29 AM
If you're going to be making it a "hot rod hearse" you should probably make it, you know, kinda fast. Like, not 307 in a 5000 pound car fast. An Olds 350 or 403 would do the trick easiest, a 472 or 500ci Cadillac V8 would be a fairly easy swap as well.

You don't need headers to do any kind of custom exhaust... all headers/exhaust manifolds do is collect the exhaust from each head of the engine and bring it under the car. Aftermarket headers just do it with less resistance, thus you get slightly more performance.

N0DIH
05-28-05, 10:54 AM
The 307 can make as much power as a 5.0/302 Ford, likely more as it is a long rod engine (6.0 rods), but there isn't much aftermarket support. Bulldog is now making aluminum heads for the Olds engines, rumored to be cheaper than Dick Miller Racing. Head flow is the issue, good heads are all it needs.

Also give Larry Wenzler a call, he is making some Olds heads that is exclusively sold by a friend of a friend of mine (it was my idea to get these guys together!), not sure of $$, but the results are 10 seconds on a 3800 lb Cutlass with a 425 Olds. Take a look at the Engine Masters competition for 350 CID engines for Olds 350 (the only Olds entry) and that guy on the right is who you are looking for. The heads didn't make it because they weren't available yet, and the engine got hurt on the dyno, so it was as a DNF :(

Yes, 307's can be made to run, but $ for $, it is hard to beat a 472, 500, 455, 425, etc. Displacement is what you need. Turbos work too.....

brougham
05-28-05, 05:17 PM
Get a factory service manual for it on ebay. I bought a Haynes manual for my Cadillac because I have one for Chryslers and it is really good. But compared to that one the Cadillac one really sucks! If I knew what it was like before I bought it I never would have wasted my money on it. Now I just leave it in the trunk of the car incase I ever need it when I'm not near home. The factory service manual is a lot better. It has everything about the car in it and you can get them pretty cheap on ebay.

I always wanted a hearse or a limo. They're neat. But we don't have any room for anymore big cars around here.

shreddedtires
05-28-05, 05:50 PM
The car came complete with all factory books in the glove compartment.

cl1986
05-30-05, 09:58 PM
No.. not owners manual.... Service manual, its a 500+ page book with every part and system about your car, unless thats stuffed in your glove box!!!

shreddedtires
05-30-05, 11:31 PM
Ah, thanks! I'll look for one of those...