: 1981 caddilac engine swap

1981caddy
05-27-05, 06:48 PM
hello im new to these forums and i have been searching around the net and these forums for a few days. im thinking about putting a diffrent engine in my 1981 sedan deville which currently has a 8-6-4 368CID. i was wondering what engine will fit with the least modification and one that will bolt up to the TH400 in the car right now, also im not looking for performance just one thats a little more dependable than the 6.0 and one with a carb. the ones i am looking at are the 425/472/500 and will any of those bolt up to the th400 without any adapters, and do i need to get any diffrent engine mounts for them, i will prolly try to buy an older parts car that has the engine already in it.and if theres any other engines that will be bolt up pretty easy in the caddy let me know. thanx in advance.

1981caddy
05-28-05, 01:37 PM
you would think that my last post would be an easy answer, aparently not since no one replyed, all it was is a simple question, but you probrolly did not reply because i didnt spell cadillac correctly on the thread title lol, idiots. or maby you would tell me to look at previous post, in which i have alredy done hundreds of times and still no straight answer, or maby its because you guys dont like it when people put other than original engines in there cars? since i looked around theres tons of messeges not answered just like mine. either way nows theres a great running caddy that has a prefect body and interior goin to the scrap yard to get smashed into little cubes because i would rather not be an owner of car which 95% of the other caddy owners are snobbish a**holes and cant even take 5 minutes out of there precious time to answer a question even if they dont like what im doing, probroly a good reason gm is slowly goin down, even the mustang boys will answer questions to the best of there ability. buh bye :nono:

sizanjdf
05-28-05, 04:16 PM
did you ever consider that it is memorial day weekend, people are out enjoying the weather or sleeping in or who knows what. It is your car and you can do what you want. By smashing it though you are just helping out others by having fewer of these cars around. Instead though....if YOU like the car you could keep it and do just what you said and put a new engine in it...and of the 425/472/500 should fit with the right oil pan and pump and a few other things. Otherwise go ride with your little pony boys

Destroyer
05-28-05, 08:47 PM
you would think that my last post would be an easy answer, aparently not since no one replyed, all it was is a simple question, but you probrolly did not reply because i didnt spell cadillac correctly on the thread title lol, idiots. or maby you would tell me to look at previous post, in which i have alredy done hundreds of times and still no straight answer, or maby its because you guys dont like it when people put other than original engines in there cars? since i looked around theres tons of messeges not answered just like mine. either way nows theres a great running caddy that has a prefect body and interior goin to the scrap yard to get smashed into little cubes because i would rather not be an owner of car which 95% of the other caddy owners are snobbish a**holes and cant even take 5 minutes out of there precious time to answer a question even if they dont like what im doing, probroly a good reason gm is slowly goin down, even the mustang boys will answer questions to the best of there ability. buh bye :nono:Snobbish? Seriously the most expensive Fleetwood Brougham on the used car market is worth maybe $9k. Most of us have the older Fleetwoods that range from $500 - $3k. Hardly anything to be snobbish about. My Fleetwood is a 91 which I have swapped a 350 Iroc 5.7 in place of the stock motor so I for one am all for swaps. In your case a Caddy BB would be a good choice but if you are looking for reliability and not performance you could probably pick up a 307-403 Olds for cheap. Not sure if the 368 mounts would work but its easy enough to get mounts from any 307 Olds powered Fleetwood. Personally I like Chevy motors the best.

ben72227
05-28-05, 09:41 PM
you would think that my last post would be an easy answer, aparently not since no one replyed, all it was is a simple question, but you probrolly did not reply because i didnt spell cadillac correctly on the thread title lol, idiots. or maby you would tell me to look at previous post, in which i have alredy done hundreds of times and still no straight answer, or maby its because you guys dont like it when people put other than original engines in there cars? since i looked around theres tons of messeges not answered just like mine. either way nows theres a great running caddy that has a prefect body and interior goin to the scrap yard to get smashed into little cubes because i would rather not be an owner of car which 95% of the other caddy owners are snobbish a**holes and cant even take 5 minutes out of there precious time to answer a question even if they dont like what im doing, probroly a good reason gm is slowly goin down, even the mustang boys will answer questions to the best of there ability. buh bye :nono:

You lost patience so quickly. We always answer within a week at least:devil:. As for other than original engines, we don't really care about that kind of stuff, it must be those pony boys who care about stuff like that;). A lot of the modern lac engines sucked. (The HT4100, 350 Diesel, V-8-6-4, etc.). I mean, if you were swapping out a Northstar, it would be different, since that our only EXCELLENT performance engine we've had in the last 20 years. Also, we don't have all the answers.;) and we don't claim to either. But we try to answer questions when we can. Most of us are young people (READ: WAY under the typical Caddy age group of 65 to dead) who own USED Cadillacs. In no way are we snobbish. And if you spent a little more time in the forums you would obviously know that.:cool:

Destroyer
05-28-05, 11:39 PM
You lost patience so quickly. We always answer within a week at least:devil:. As for other than original engines, we don't really care about that kind of stuff, I do, if I didn't just pick up a newer Mercedes I would already have a 406 Chevy in my Fleetwood. Even so I did just switch to a Edelbrock carb/Holley intake and I'm already running dual exhaust w/Maganflows and 3.73 gears. Some us could not care less about the crappy drivetrains in our Fleetwoods and want some performance out of the big boats. The look on the 96 Mustang GT drivers face when I beat him last week was priceless, even got a thumbs up from the guy. Now I gotta get if fast enough to beat the newer stangs.