: New guy here, with a Nash....

JoeBob1901
05-27-05, 11:10 AM
hey, I'm normally a Ford guy, Ford EFI/Mass air guy, so I'm kind of out of my element here :yup:

My DD is a very modified fullsize Bronco that i take offroading, so..vehicle modification isn't something new to me, but i've mainly done axle swaps, slight engine repair, and adding tranny coolers, shift kits, etc....

I'm new to BB's, and carbs in general, so..I'm here to learn, as I'm picking up a project car, 4dr '47 Nash 600. I have been looking aroudn for good engine swaps, different combinations of engine/tranny, and a hot-rod builder suggested i look at the caddy 500, as i was looking for a pretty stock engine, just to get the car moving, as i dont have a huge budget for this project, at least at this time.

I found a Caddy 500, mated to a 400, for 400 bucks. Good deal? :lildevil:

Been looking around..browsing a few offroad sites for info, and hit google for caddy 500 info/upgrades. Found this site, which seems like it'll be my best bet for help on the install and the diagnosing and upgrading part of the engine.

First off, I've seen ALOT of conflicting motor claims from my searching. Looks like a big range for the HP/TQ readings...I'm looking at a 76 500, what are the REAL HP/TQ ratings on this beast?

Also going to look into small modifications, like tweaks and tuneup stuff, like advancing timing, etc, etc...I also saw on another site a tweak to the intake maybe? Saw it late last night, but have it bookmarked...

Thats about it, i'll continue to cruise the forum :thumbsup:

michael96
05-27-05, 08:05 PM
Welcome

Ralph
05-27-05, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard. you may find this interesting, but I have the November 1948 Mechanix Illustrated where they test the Nash. If you need to know anything, etc. Interesting is the weight at 2800 lbs. and it got between 25 and 30 mpg.

JoeBob1901
05-27-05, 10:09 PM
Hmm, very cool, i've been wondering the weight myself, it seems VERY heavy, does the 4door only weigh 2800 stock? That's alot lighter than i would have guessed

My uncle is building, and has been building for 2 years, a drag Nash, a dr, a 45 or 46 i think, but..I know the 2doors are extremely light, he's looking for about 1800# by the time he does the 283/tranny swap, and new axles

I havent seen that magazine..would it be possible if i could get you to scan it? So i can see each page, i cant makeout everything on there. Whatever pages talk about it, i really would like more information on this..also looking at a few manuals and repair things on them online...

Thanks! I appreciate it..cant wait to get the beast stripped down..start fixing the small body dings and dents, shave it, and get it primed..then get the engine in there

I'm worried about the weight of the 500/400, i'm wondering if i should go the route my uncle went, a narrowed mustang 2 front end. May also be looking into a chevelle rear end..or 9", or something like that..would like to change bolt patterns if possible, to get wheels that are chaeper, and more readily available.

Thanks once again! :thumbsup:

Ralph
05-28-05, 05:42 AM
I'll try to remember to scan it tomorrow, remind me if I forget. I'll scan each page seperately so it should come in more clear, but I won't be able to get it too much bigger than the above. :)

JoeBob1901
05-28-05, 02:28 PM
thats fine, size was perfectly fine..just cus of the angle and clarity couldnt make out all the info, i'd really appreciate it! thanks!

Also, was the 2800 for the 4doors? thats REALLY light..maybe thats hte 2door?

Ralph
05-28-05, 11:27 PM
OK. here we go, I'll have to post each page seperately and I don't want to bend it too much under the scanner because the spine is fragile.....

I re-scanned the first page again because I wasn't happy with the clarity, so the first page now is on the "right."

Be sure to save them to your harddrive because eventually I'll have to delete them for space. :)

JoeBob1901
05-29-05, 12:46 AM
thanks, already saved, kickass :)

D148L0
05-29-05, 01:38 PM
Welcome to the forums.

JoeBob1901
05-31-05, 12:41 AM
Here's the beast..diamond in the ruff..

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/207746/fullsize/DSCN2199.jpg (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=207746&original=1)

Also, correction, it's a 46, was told it's a 47..but checked the tag

Seems the 46 were more rare, first year they started back in making them after WW2, cant find many pics of em out there, maybe i got lucky n got a rare one...

CADDYBLACK99
05-31-05, 08:01 AM
Welcome!

Thanks for signing up with us. Your project sounds very interesting, keep us posted. Here is a link you might find useful:
http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad76.htm
Good luck
:welcome:
Paul

JoeBob1901
05-31-05, 11:08 AM
thanks! thats a cool website

Appreciate it

Boombotz
06-02-05, 09:42 PM
Here's the beast..diamond in the ruff..

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/207746/fullsize/DSCN2199.jpg (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=207746&original=1)

Also, correction, it's a 46, was told it's a 47..but checked the tag

Seems the 46 were more rare, first year they started back in making them after WW2, cant find many pics of em out there, maybe i got lucky n got a rare one...

Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of yourself. Good luck. can't wait to see pic's when it is done. I will be waiting.:D

JoeBob1901
06-09-05, 01:41 AM
Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of yourself. Good luck. can't wait to see pic's when it is done. I will be waiting.:D

We'll get it running first, and work at the body work at the same time...it wont be pretty, but it'll run :coolgleam

Dont wait aroun too long..i dont even have my bronco out of my shop yet :rant2::banghead:

powerglide
06-09-05, 06:01 PM
Wow....thats cool even in its current form!

Welcome to the forums