: *screeeech* *crunch* Caddy crash :(

carguy16
05-27-05, 01:10 AM
Coming home tonite someone got in a wreck, 'someone' rear ended some one. Getting on the on ramp to the interstate, the 'someone' driving the Cadi was probably doing 50-55, car infront of them starts braking, so do the Cadi, Cadi drivers realizes hes braking hard, he then hits the brakes, Cadi driver's front wheel or wheels lock up, the Cadi is skidding and plows right into the back of him(Ford Contour), probably doing 15-25, the Contour driver said he was doing 5 mph. The Cady car is not in good shape, the persons car that got crashed into isnt looking good either, their bumper is crushed and the trunk is crushed in a little bit, it could have been a whole lot worse. If the brakes hadnt had locked, the Caddy would have stopped, but something went wrong. The Caddy had plenty of room inbetween the car infront, thank fully the air bags DID NOT deploy. Does anyone here know what speed is required for them to deploy?

Also, he (Contour driver)had to stop because there was no merging lane, just an acceleration lane, and no where to swerve! This is at nite too! He even said he saw smoke coming from the Cadi's tires. :devil: :rant2: :helpless:

DopeStar 156
05-27-05, 01:50 AM
Ouch dude. Well lucky for you Caddy still makes parts for that car. I know they still make the front clip and grille for mine after hitting a deer, I would assume everything you need for yours is still available from Cadillac. Just make sure you get a good body shop.

ocjmakaveli
05-27-05, 06:45 AM
Is the 'someone' YOU? just kidding we all know it was but we all find our own way to cope with accidents.

This would be a perfect time to change your grille to an aftermarket custom either billet or rolls royce grille whatever you like would be fine.

That's not too bad though for your first and hopefully last accident.

Didn't you do your front brakes recently? i thought you had abs? I'd definitely blame the TIRES 100% good tires will not lock up so easily.......

Too much brake force+ bad tires= skid/lock-up waiting too happen

Did all four tires lock-up or only the front? but my guess is only the front hence this is why drums are being discontinued in newer cars they just don't cut it when you need the stopping power.

Look on the bright side and my ONE BIG WORD OF ADVICE TELL THE BODY SHOP TO ONLY INSTALL NEW BODY PARTS BRAND NEW CADILLAC PARTS ONLY.

as long as you have good insurance they should do it.

don't settle for any less

Good Luck

carguy16
05-27-05, 09:06 AM
Here's whats probably going to happen, someone is going to hit the junkyard and find a 93-96 Fleetwood, and get the parts from it, much cheaper.

At this point, the hood, it looks like someones Cadi needs a new hood, grill, the head lights can be reaimed, one cornering lamp is cracked. The hood is stuck closed, any ideas on getting it open?

All that can be seen in the way of damage, the tranny oil cooler is bent a little, but no leaks. There was a smell of something burning, it made you want to vomit a couple times, but I dont know if that was the Caddi or someone else? i hope the radiator supports arent bent, I think the hood and bumper took most of the hit.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is the 'someone' YOU? just kidding we all know it was but we all find our own way to cope with accidents.

This would be a perfect time to change your grille to an aftermarket custom either billet or rolls royce grille whatever you like would be fine.

That's not too bad though for your first and hopefully last accident.

Didn't you do your front brakes recently? i thought you had abs? I'd definitely blame the TIRES 100% good tires will not lock up so easily.......

Too much brake force+ bad tires= skid/lock-up waiting too happen

Did all four tires lock-up or only the front? but my guess is only the front hence this is why drums are being discontinued in newer cars they just don't cut it when you need the stopping power.

Look on the bright side and my ONE BIG WORD OF ADVICE TELL THE BODY SHOP TO ONLY INSTALL NEW BODY PARTS BRAND NEW CADILLAC PARTS ONLY.

as long as you have good insurance they should do it.

don't settle for any less

Good Luck

N0DIH
05-27-05, 12:51 PM
ABS not working? Shouldn't it have kicked in?

It always ticks me off when people stop on on ramps to the highway! They should be looking for merge positions LONG before they get to that point, and be at WOT getting up to speed to merge properly!!!!

Glad to hear you are ok, and you didn't get seriously hurt at all. Shame the Caddy is messed up some.

carguy16
05-27-05, 03:06 PM
Well, all repairs are going to be paid out of pocket. At this intersection, there is an acceleration lane, but NO MERGE LANE!!!! At the end is a yield sign, someone was like , "WTF! Why is he stopping for?" Then thats when the brakes locked and their car got rear ended.

I was told that was typical, it is a design flaw in the ramp and they have been working on fixing it for awhile now, so someone is probably not the only one to rear end someone there. It was totally un-expected, there was plenty of following distance too, but what contributed was locking up of brakes, total expectedness of anyone stopping on an interstate on ramp!!!:madtalkin

But, someone has no case in a court of law, since your at fault because you rear ended someone. Even if it was a patch of ice on the road in Florida(yeh, ice in FL?), you slid and hit somoene, you would still be cited for careless driving.:nono:

Should the ABS kicked on, hell yeh. Does the ABS work? :confused:

So, since the repairs are coming out of 'someones' pocket, not the insurance company, there is a shoe string budget to make repairs to the vehicle. Please, give any advice. The Caddy needs to be back on the road and lookin good ASAP.

I found no luck finding parts online for the Fleetwood after searchin local junk yards.

ABS not working? Shouldn't it have kicked in?

It always ticks me off when people stop on on ramps to the highway! They should be looking for merge positions LONG before they get to that point, and be at WOT getting up to speed to merge properly!!!!

Glad to hear you are ok, and you didn't get seriously hurt at all. Shame the Caddy is messed up some.

ocjmakaveli
05-27-05, 03:30 PM
Don't you have full cover insurance? driving a caddy you most surely need full cover insurance.

that is going to be one tough job for you and most parts will just need to be replaced so hopefully you find the same color or you will have to repaint them later.

your looking at the bumper, lights, possible bumper shock, Hood, Hood locking mechanism, hood hinges, restraightening of the radiator and whatever else may have bent a little, thers a possibility the trans cooler could have been damaged check it out.

carguy16
05-27-05, 07:18 PM
OCJ, your right on target. The bumper shock went in, and compressed back on. The radiator core(thing that mounts the radiator, where the "Belt routing sticker is" is bent in a little. I dont really care if the colors are mis-matched either, they could be painted yellow for all I care. Then you have the bumper, grill, and hood, they were told used parts are fine, and they dont have to be perfect.

Thats it for now, the other metal rods will have to be replaced or reshapen. The shop someone plans on going to, is one of those 'small town' shops, its not beautiful, but the guy is awnust and knows what the hell he is doing, also restores old hot rods.

Don't you have full cover insurance? driving a caddy you most surely need full cover insurance.

your looking at the bumper, lights, possible bumper shock, Hood, Hood locking mechanism, hood hinges, restraightening of the radiator and whatever else may have bent a little, thers a possibility the trans cooler could have been damaged check it out.

dhs
05-27-05, 09:21 PM
I accutally saw an eldorado (newest model) get hit from the side by a relatively big suv. (Envoy I think) The crash was very loud the envoy was pulling into a lot pretty fast and slammed into the eldorado. The funny thing was that the envoy had more damage then the cadillac, which didn't seem to have any damage. Don't those cars have side air bags? I saw a escalade completely totaled, but with the side air bags still not out, so I don't have much faith in them.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-27-05, 11:27 PM
someone thinks he knows where someone was .....it was no excuse to stop ....

get used ot the floridiots ,they never accerate , and that when they have a merge lane ....if there is an acceration lane they need to use it to accel ...

i got burned the same way in 1998 someone did the same exact thing to me and i cliped them ...although she saw her boyfreind in a accident and pulled the emergency brake....i leanred that floridiots WILL ALWAYS stop on an entrance ramp to anything ....they will ALWAYS find the worst place to stop ....treat everyone in front of you as if they decided they wanted to get rear ended by you today.....beauce thats exactly what they are doing , trying to get rearended to make a quick buck ...people think cars are toys and that a crash is something fun to do to get quick money ...they dont realize how serious there actions are ....

thats one thing i miss about alaska ...i could just go out and go for a ride ....here i avoid such foolishness ...i drive becauce i have to ...driving down in this hell hole is a chore , i do miss the good ol fashined sunday drive with "no particular place to go" (chuck berry)

hope you make it to the meet ....if you hadnt got the hood open by then well figure something out ...

if i remeber right you need to hit a stationary object at more than 17mph within a 30 degree angle of the center of the grille ...hitting a moving object or one thats slightly rolling decreses the speed differantial ...fromt he looks of the car you hit with a force of around 9-12 mph max...lucky you hit a small ford....a dead stopped town car or full frame vehicle of some sort may have triggered the bags ...you were right at the threshold ....

N0DIH
05-27-05, 11:29 PM
The question in my mind is, could the other driver done something else to avoid causing an accident? If yes, and he did not do it, it is his fault, reguardless of who hit who.

Maybe I should work on passing some of the laws from Germany. If you cause and accident and could have avoided it, it is your fault. aka, tailgaters. If the lead car taps the brakes to get the gater off his butt, he caused it, it is his fault. So in this case, it is possible that you can flip it and nab him for causing it for being an idiot for jamming on the brakes because he failed to look ahead and observe the traffic and plan a PROPER merge without stopping on an interstate highway. Which IS illegal!!! So in my warped world, he caused it, it is his fault, he needs the ticket, and should pay for all damages. Not being safe on the roads is causing us millions each year.

That is, in my not always so humble opinion.

carguy16
05-28-05, 12:38 AM
The law says that I am at fault, I am in control, I should be able to stop. This does not apply when someone pulls out infront of you and you cannot stop, the police will usually investigate this, "gee, impact is 24 feet from where you pulled out, and your saying you didnt pull out infront of him while he was doing 55?"Im still hopin to attend, car is still driveable, just have to re-aim the head lights, duct tape should do the trick, or something to wedge infront of them...

The hood has been opened by a body shop, the safety latch was holding it down. The only damage was the radiator support pillar, which has that "belt routing" sticker, it was bent in a little, other then that, they said the car took a great hit.

BluEyes
05-28-05, 02:04 PM
You might be able to get out of it since the furd driver admitted to going 5mph. The minimum speed on an interstate is 45. Unless the other guy claims there was some kind of road hazard infront of him which compelled him to stop, he had no reason to be stopping on an interstate merge ramp and could be cited.
Also, did he have his 4-way flashers on? If you ARE going under 45 on an interstate, it is required to have your 4-ways on to alert other drivers.
Weigh your options - this might be a time to hire a lawyer, or at least talk to your insurance and see if they can help you out with some kind of representation. I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to have the other guys insurance foot the bill, or at least have it declared 'no fault' so that they don't have to pay HIS bill.
Don't just give up on this - there are enough mitigating circumstances that you just might have a leg to hop about on.

Rear-ending someone isn't always open and shut. I once talked with a Cabbie who rear-ended a bus and it ended up being the busses fault. The bus driver had stopped to let off a passenger *on a bridge* which is illegal.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-28-05, 02:31 PM
i agree blu ....there is a old addage "it takes two to tango" ...it takes to drivers to have an accident ....contrary to popular belif in the blame game ...things just arent that black and white

N0DIH
05-28-05, 02:48 PM
Don't ever accept blame for it. If the other guy is not competent to drive on the highway, he shouldn't be. I can't just go down the interstate and stop and if someone hits me say it was their fault. This is no different. Stopping on an on ramp is no exception. Just because he doesn't know how to mash the gas to merge properly is no reason to stop on the on ramp. If he would have done the right thing and WATCHED to see where to merge he would have been fine. It is rare to ever NEED to stop because traffic on the highway is that bad.

carguy16
05-28-05, 03:55 PM
Ok, this ramp is very decieving.

There is an acceleration ramp, at the end of the ramp is a yield sign, after the yield sign there is traffic flying past at 70 MPH plus! The person someone rear ended, had to stop because they COULD NOT enter the interstate without crashing into someone.

If you have NEVER been on this ramp before, it is very decieving and un-expected, especially at nite. There is also no place to swerve, there are barriers all around. After it happened a lane of traffic was being BLOCKED on the interstate until the two vehicles were removed to the side of the road!! Thank fully no one get rear ended again!:madtalkin

Don't ever accept blame for it. If the other guy is not competent to drive on the highway, he shouldn't be. I can't just go down the interstate and stop and if someone hits me say it was their fault. This is no different. Stopping on an on ramp is no exception. Just because he doesn't know how to mash the gas to merge properly is no reason to stop on the on ramp. If he would have done the right thing and WATCHED to see where to merge he would have been fine. It is rare to ever NEED to stop because traffic on the highway is that bad.

BluEyes
05-28-05, 05:27 PM
You might be able to get out of it since the furd driver admitted to going 5mph. The minimum speed on an interstate is 45. Unless the other guy claims there was some kind of road hazard infront of him which compelled him to stop, he had no reason to be stopping on an interstate merge ramp and could be cited.
Also, did he have his 4-way flashers on? If you ARE going under 45 on an interstate, it is required to have your 4-ways on to alert other drivers.
Weigh your options - this might be a time to hire a lawyer, or at least talk to your insurance and see if they can help you out with some kind of representation. I'm sure they'd like nothing more than to have the other guys insurance foot the bill, or at least have it declared 'no fault' so that they don't have to pay HIS bill.
Don't just give up on this - there are enough mitigating circumstances that you just might have a leg to hop about on.

Rear-ending someone isn't always open and shut. I once talked with a Cabbie who rear-ended a bus and it ended up being the busses fault. The bus driver had stopped to let off a passenger *on a bridge* which is illegal.

cl1986
05-30-05, 10:15 PM
He clearly stated he wasnt on the freeway, and i think only interstates have the 40 MPH minimum. Plus the yeild sign, theres no minimum at a yeild sign!!!!

Sorry to hear someone had an incident.

Just goes to show u should test your car more often, someone could have had bad brakes for years and then all of a sudden needed them.

And no not all caddy owners have full coverage!!! What a waste!!! I pay about $180 a year for my 94 Eldo. What do you pay for full coverage, i know mine would be about $800 or more a year. My last car i had for 7 years i would have paid out over $5600 in insurance and the car was sold for $1100. Never had an accident, even if i did, i would be ahead with liability only.

My boss bought my 86 deville for his kid, first day they blew a brake line. He didnt run into anything but thats scarry!! They fixed that then 2 days later blew out a rear brake cylinder and went through the garage door!! Holy crap!! I couldnt believe it. The brakes always worked, not very good, but always worked for me. His kids do have a habbit for breaking everything though also. The brake line and cylinder probrably would have lasted me another 2 years.

My guess is that they had warnings signs of loosing brake power, but being dumb kids dropped out of high school and not knowing anything they didnt realize the brakes were way soft.

I know my jeep started leaking fluid out the rear drum line, and i noticed it right away, tightened it and all is good. It helps to know your vehicle.

fisherman
10-27-05, 07:23 PM
My wife just rear ended someone herself. My front bumper is toast. My baby!!!!!! My use to be :banghead: mint, cherry, 1990 Leather topped Fleetwood.At least she is ok, my wife that is but I think in the future I am going have to remove the stereo face so we don't have this problem again. Now I am hunting for a new bumper. If anyone knows were I might be able to find one. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Glad you are ok too. Man this hurts.:(

N0DIH
10-27-05, 07:36 PM
What years to look for? Are all 80's and early 90's the same front bumper?

cl1986
10-28-05, 07:42 PM
I seemed to have the same problem with that stereo face thing, one day i parked in my driveway for dinner and as im talking on the phone sitting in my truck the garage door opens and my wife backs out and runs into me while the whole time im laying on the horn. She was jammin out.