: Played w/911 Turbo: Beaten But Proud

crowan
05-27-05, 01:16 AM
My street racing days are ancient history, but Sunday morning at 8AM, I found myself in a situation that could not be ignored. Driving north on Rt. 15 from Maryland to Lewisburg, PA. for my daughter's college graduation, I rolled up to one of the few traffic lights on the route. In the left lane was a beater Honda, but in the right lane was a beautiful new 911 Turbo in bright red. As I rolled up behind the Porsche, I saw the driver checking me out in the rearview and his sustained gaze told me he recognized the V grill. With a mile's worth of jersey barriers on both sides of the road, speed traps were not an issue. There was no traffic on the road. At that moment I realized that I could never come back to this forum and hold my head up if I let this opportunity pass. It was Go Time.

When the light turned green, he left the light at a normal pace but kept looking in his rearview. As soon as we cleared the Honda, I buried the go-pedal in 1st and shot into the left lane. I caught him flatfooted and blew past him by a car length. He got into that turbo and, my god, those things pull hard! By the middle of 2nd gear he had caught me and was surging forward. By 3rd gear he was ahead of me by a car length and still pulling.

At that point I had an added handicap because my wife, who had been sound asleep in the shotgun seat until she was rudely blasted awake by the symphony of 850 hp resonating off the jersey walls at WOT, was giving me some serious "stink eye."

I played some high speed cruising with the Porsche until he jumped off at the next exit with a big thumbs-up out the window. It was definitely a fantastic looking (and running) piece of machinery. However, the V held it's own and didn't embarrass itself at all. Any four door sedan that can stay in the same zip code with that bad boy deserves some respect. I wish I had had a tape recorder to save the sounds of the LS6/Corsa mixing with the screaming turbocharged 6 at WOT.

For a short while, it was 1968 all over again, street racing in my Z28. All I needed in the V was an 8-track player blasting Grand Funk. It doesn't get much better for an old gearhead.

Dave's V
05-27-05, 01:25 AM
I was thinking about dualing with an Enzo today but I was too busy drooling over the car. We gave each other a thumbs up. I think it was the one in a car mag a couple years ago when they tested it out at the salt flats of Utah.

I was thinking that I could buy at least 12 Vs for the price he paid for his car. By the way he was doing 55 in a 65, probably because it sticks out.

2005V
05-27-05, 01:31 AM
Awesome post. Get the Magna Charger and you will get the chance to show $131K worth of car your tail lights! I'll be in Baltimore (my home town) in late July and I am in Deep Creek nearly every weekend. If you are interested drop me a line and we'll meet up so that you can take mine out for a spin. You'll be instantly hooked. Happy motoring. Loved the Grand Funk comment BTW...

Vrocks
05-27-05, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I got my a$$ handed to me from a 996TT, it was from nearly a dead stop, and 1st gear in those things is insane. Another cool Porsche is the Carrera GT, they're a dime a dozen around here ( as far as supercars go ), our local dealer's sold 3 or 4 of them already. If I come across one of those I'll sacrifice myself for the forum...

Dave, you were next to an ENZO!?? Damn, talk about a rare sighting.

Ralph
05-27-05, 01:50 AM
Ha! That was a great story!

Dave's V
05-27-05, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I got my a$$ handed to me from a 996TT, it was from nearly a dead stop, and 1st gear in those things is insane. Another cool Porsche is the Carrera GT, they're a dime a dozen around here ( as far as supercars go ), our local dealer's sold 3 or 4 of them already. If I come across one of those I'll sacrifice myself for the forum...

Dave, you were next to an ENZO!?? Damn, talk about a rare sighting.

Like I said, I was drooling. I couldn't believe my eyes at first. I knew one existed in Utah but I never expected to see it.

Great story by the way Crowan. Way to go! I have the same handicap also. She even commented that the V doesn't have an OH SH!T handle.

lasstss
05-27-05, 10:22 AM
Awesome post. Get the Magna Charger and you will get the chance to show $131K worth of car your tail lights! I'll be in Baltimore (my home town) in late July and I am in Deep Creek nearly every weekend. If you are interested drop me a line and we'll meet up so that you can take mine out for a spin. You'll be instantly hooked. Happy motoring. Loved the Grand Funk comment BTW...

LEt me know, Im 20 min south of baltimore. Been to MIR many times. There is also Capitol off 3. Its closer.

Natedog
05-27-05, 12:28 PM
geez... you guys run into some serious vehicles... im from a pretty affluent area, and its amazing to see a V on the road, much less a new Turbo...