: Something's Burning!!!

DopeStar 156
05-26-05, 10:48 PM
Hmmm.... Well.... When I drive my car and park it, shut it off, etc. I can smell something burning and there seems to be smoke coming from the front of the car. This is really only visible at night through the headlights. I can smell the burning while driving through the AC vents. Another thing is if I park the car for like a minute, then start it up again a little later, my outside temp. display will say something outrageous like 112 until it eventually goes down to the correct temp. What is burning in there?

pimpin88
05-27-05, 07:40 AM
well, i had my blower motor for my climate control burn up not too long ago, and when i shut the car off and got out i could smell it and see some smoke. it was coming from the passengers side right in front of the windsheild, which is where the blower motor is located. i could also smell the smoke inside the car becuase it was coming in through the AC vents.

next time you have your car running and it happens. shut it off and go look or smell by the windsheild in front of the passengers seat. or you can try turning on your defroster or something and see if the blower still works

codewize
05-27-05, 08:51 AM
The outside temp sensor is located in the front of the car so I would have to say that it's a radiator thing. Take a close look around and I think you'll see a leaky radiator or other cooler in the front of the car.

DopeStar 156
05-27-05, 11:42 PM
Well that's the thing. I thought of that, but there's no leak anywhere. My car leaves no fluids on the ground, not even oil. It has plenty of coolant too. I'm also not having any problems with the blower or the defroster either. Hmmm....

brougham
05-28-05, 12:31 AM
Maybe it's your valve covers leaking or something like that. Look under the hood. If it's leaking enough to burn you should be able to see it.

How long does it take for the outside temperature to go down? Maybe that's just normal.

DopeStar 156
05-28-05, 03:32 AM
Just a few seconds. Not long. I'll check the valve covers tomorrow.

AElayyat
05-29-05, 05:54 PM
Here is another suggestion. IF the 5.0 is setup the same way as the RWD 4.1 then you would also want to check to see if the oil filter is not screwed on tight enough and the oil sending unit, because the sit right above the passenger side exhaust pipe.

DopeStar 156
05-30-05, 02:43 PM
Here is another suggestion. IF the 5.0 is setup the same way as the RWD 4.1 then you would also want to check to see if the oil filter is not screwed on tight enough and the oil sending unit, because the sit right above the passenger side exhaust pipe.
AElayyat ol' pal I think you've nailed it. I checked, the 307 does have the oil filter directly next to (and probably over somewhere) the exhaust pipe. Also I did find a droplet of oil and a run down trail on the filter. Where I'm still confused is this has been happening long before my last oil change which was in February. Is it possible my mechanic keeps screwing it on loose or maybe there's a bad gasket in there somewhere? I'm overjoyed because I found the source of my burning and my new oil leak!

AElayyat
05-30-05, 04:12 PM
AElayyat ol' pal I think you've nailed it. I checked, the 307 does have the oil filter directly next to (and probably over somewhere) the exhaust pipe. Also I did find a droplet of oil and a run down trail on the filter. Where I'm still confused is this has been happening long before my last oil change which was in February. Is it possible my mechanic keeps screwing it on loose or maybe there's a bad gasket in there somewhere? I'm overjoyed because I found the source of my burning and my new oil leak!

At least now you know it's going to be 1 of 2 things:
1) the oil filter needs to be tightned
OR
2) the oil sending unit needs to be replaced

Just make sure if you are going to replace the oil sending unit to get one from the Cadillac dealer because the aftermarket units will cause your oil pressue light to flicker at stops. Also don't over tighten the unit or you will get into some serious problems (ie cracking the unit that the oil filter screws on to).

Good luck in fixing that, its a minor problem.

DopeStar 156
05-30-05, 11:27 PM
Great. My car's almost due for an oil change (Both by date and mileage) so when I go in I'll have them check the oil sending unit and make sure the filter's on right. If it needs to be changed then I'll have to do it when the money's right. Which is not at this time.

DPGC23
05-31-05, 09:01 PM
I Think That Temp Sensor Is Normal, Becuase It Will Show U Some Outragous, Well Not So Outrages Here In Palm Springs, But Uknow Whati Mean

Like It Will Show 120, Then Go Down 2 The Right Temp Off 102 Or So, But I Thnk Thats Normal

Dpgc23

DopeStar 156
06-01-05, 01:25 AM
Well I know there's nothing wrong with the sensor since it's only 6 months old since I had it replaced when I had nailed a deer and busted my nose and grille. I just thought it was peculiar that it'd say like 120 and then go down to 75. It's definately picking up the burning under there.

DopeStar 156
06-02-05, 11:48 PM
This smoke is troubling me something awful. This couldn't be the radiator could it? Perhaps the engine running hot? I dunno!

AElayyat
06-03-05, 12:57 AM
This smoke is troubling me something awful. This couldn't be the radiator could it? Perhaps the engine running hot? I dunno!

What color is the smoke, and does it smell like burning oil?

DopeStar 156
06-04-05, 12:02 AM
Well it's white smoke. It smells like burning something, I can't ID it.

davesdeville
06-04-05, 03:51 AM
Go burn some antifreeze with a lighter in a spoon and smell it, then do it with oil, and you should be able to figure it out...

AElayyat
06-04-05, 02:42 PM
Conduct the MacGyver style expirement that DavesDeville suggested, that way you will safely eliminate one or the other.

DopeStar 156
06-05-05, 12:38 AM
Actually I spent a good 5 minutes sniffing the burning smell and I drew the conclusion that it's rubber. It is most definately rubber because my vacuum that I use to clean my house spins a belt and creates the same smell. My dad and I a year ago replaced all the belts except the power steering belt which was too hard to get to. I figure it's that belt slipping as it is a rubber smell and my steering does sometimes get a little sloppy. I'm gonna try to get to that belt again and see if that doesn't stop this. If not, no loss, it still needs to be done.