: '80's Brougham Auto Release E-Brake Problems!!

shortlid
05-26-05, 10:13 PM
Guys I need help on this one FAST, I am going to fly in to use this car tommorow!!! We have always had problems with the (automatic release when in gear) Emergency Brake on my Grandma's '80's Brougham.:madtalkin It works like any large GM vehicle brake with a ratchet action small petel to the left of the drivers foot well. When you put the car in gear it is supose to release automatic ly when the gear shifter is moved from Park. But now the Brake Warning light on the upper dash is lighting up even when it is supose to be fully released?? Is there a quick fix for this? :thumbsup:

90Brougham350
05-26-05, 10:34 PM
The pedal itself is vacuum actuated when you put it in gear. The question is, is your parking brake itself stuck? If the brake is stuck, you'll have to loosen it up by pulling on the cable real hard with a vice grips and spraying the hell out of the cable with loosener. If the brake is released fine but the pedal is staying down, I'd take the hush panel off and just see if the vacuum line going to the pedal release is crimped or disconnected or whatnot.

Brian

DopeStar 156
05-26-05, 10:42 PM
My parking brake works and releases correctly but the automatic release doesn't work. I hear a hissing from the area where its located. I prolly have a vacuum leak. How does this thing work? Where is the vacuum line going to it?

The Ape Man
05-26-05, 10:57 PM
Check the archives for detailed info about this system. Until it gets fixed, use the little manual release lever that you cannot see unless you really look at it closely. Put your left foor under the pedal and pull it up all the way before letting go of the release lever. The light will probably go off then. Same light goes on when there is a hydraulic imbalance between front and back systems of when booster vacuum is low on some models. If you have the light because of hydraulic imbalance then the service pedal will be low and mushy. If your light is due to the pedal not releasing all the way then it is time to check the parking brake cables. Number 1 cause is a failure of the cable sheath. After that it could be out of adjustment and or worn out rear brake hardware.

shortlid
05-27-05, 09:12 AM
Good to know there is a manual release lever. Is it a short stuby lever closer to the dash above the e-brake petal? If pulling up on the ptel and pulling on the manual release lever dosn't turn the light off, there is something else wrong with the brakes, right?

shortlid
05-27-05, 09:22 AM
I looked in teh achives and I did not see anything on "e-brake"?? Am I missing something?:(

The Ape Man
05-27-05, 02:59 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39129&highlight=parking+brake

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=286824#post286824

fleetwood76
05-27-05, 04:38 PM
Hello
I'm not sure about your car but in some models is the Brake warning light also connected so that if it is low brake fluid level, the light comes on.
Check the brake fluid level and the owners manual if the "brake warnings light " is connected to something more than the parking brake.

jolle

cl1986
05-30-05, 10:20 PM
My 86 had no manual release lever and its supposed to release when u start the car.

I had to "manually" release the pedal in my 91, but just by going that i knew how it worked. There was no manual lever, but just move it yourself and it will be all good. You might have to pry or pinch something to release it.