: Coil Packs

Eldyfig
05-26-05, 07:49 AM
What brand coil packs do you all install when replacing them? Auto zone around here has Wells for $20 each and an Accell for $45 each. Advance has GP Sorensen for $20 each, a premium Sorensen for $45 each, and...they have AC Delco for $45 each. The Delcos have to be ordered. They aren't at the store nearby. Should be able to get them by Saturday.

I replaced one coil pack about a year ago with one of those GP Sorensens. That one is now making noise. I know it is this one because I put an old one back on in place of the Sorensen, and there was no noise. Put the Sorensen back on, there isn't any arcing visible (even at night in the dark). Just a noisy pack. This makes me doubt its quality.

Anyways, that pack has been making noise for some time now. I now have another pack going out on me. I have done the test through the PCM Data (OBD I, I think it is PS04, disabling cylinders).

All in all, my questions are:

What brand?
Change them all together?

mcowden
05-26-05, 11:03 AM
Spend the money and order the AC Delco coil. That's what the car came with, and they're known to work well. You've already seen for yourself what the cheapie aftermarket parts are good for. Just replace the ones that are bad. You can order it at www.rockauto.com for $39 plus shipping and it'll show up on your doorstep in a couple days, or www.gmpartsdirect.com wants $30 and about $8 for shipping. My only complaint with gmpartsdirect is their catalog system blows major donkeys, and you have to click about 5 times to find out the price of the part once you've tracked it down, which is a chore in itself. I'd like to smack whatever idiot developer designed that site. But, they do have pretty good prices.

That's my 2 cents worth. Somebody else will probably chime in as well.

powerglide
05-27-05, 03:07 PM
Agreed with Michael!

Go with the Delco's when you can....I got one Delco and another from autozone (sorenson?) they are both fine but I woulda prefered all delcos's.

gmpartsdirect catalog does 'blow major donkeys'.....and the delivery can take a very long time if they dont have it in stock (which you wont find out until you placed your order when its too late to cancel)

powerglide
05-27-05, 03:09 PM
Change them all together?

Don't think thats necesary, just replace the one faulty coilpack.......thats what your caddy dealer would do.

Eldyfig
05-27-05, 03:51 PM
Cool. Thanks for the replies. I ordered the Delcos from the store on the other side of town. They delivered them to my local store. Bought two of them. One to replace the bad one and one to replace the Sorensen making noise. The Sorensen had a one year replacement with receipt. Exchanged that one. Now I have an extra coil pack for whatever might come up.

Thanks again.