: Clapton or Santana

90Brougham350
05-25-05, 10:43 PM
Been debating this for months with a friend. Who's the better all around guitarist, Clapton or Santana. Looking at every aspect of their work, who's the ultimate master? I'm rooting for Clapton, by the way. And yes, we know there are other great guitarists in history, ie. Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. Not looking for who the greatest in the world is, just want your opinions on this one. Thanks guys!

Brian

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 10:48 PM
clapton is the only artist that ever moved me to tears ....to place your emotions into your audience is something that takes talent .....and a drunken listener

ben72227
05-25-05, 10:57 PM
Everyone knows the BEST guitarist was Hendrix. Stevie Ray Vaughan was probably the best guitar player in the technical sense of it, but Hendrix was the best "overall" guitar player.

Of the living ones, I'd say that Santana and Clapton are about equal, with Clapton going for more of the "technical" genius and Santana being the living "guitar god":rolleyes:

Boombotz
05-25-05, 11:01 PM
Diffently Clapton is my choice over Santana.

Playdrv4me
05-25-05, 11:07 PM
Santana.

My favorite Clapton song is Layla, but I like Santana's style better.

davesdeville
05-26-05, 05:21 AM
Layla vs Oye Como Va

What a tough decision. I put down Clapton but I'm not sure if I was right.

Jesda
05-26-05, 05:34 AM
Tough call, but I prefer hearing Clapton overall.

powerglide
05-26-05, 06:18 AM
I listen to more Clapton so I voted for him.....I'm just not very familiar with Santana's music so I am biased at best.

Randy_W
05-26-05, 07:44 AM
I' too believe Hendrix was the man, I voted Clapton, but Carlos ain't far behind! One all time great a lot of people have forgotten is Robin Trower, his music was mistaken for Jimi Hendrix many times! As for technical genius' don't forget George Harrison, Steve Miller and Chet Adkins.:thumbsup:

Elvis
05-26-05, 12:00 PM
Hendrix wasn't that great.

I voted Clapton.

It's a nearly impossible comparison. You might as well throw in Segovia, Chet Atkins, and B.B. King, they're so different.

Of course, Segovia would have smoked them all.

Randy_W
05-26-05, 01:02 PM
Hendrix wasn't that great. Yea, and Elvis was just another singer!:cookoo:

As for Segovia, I'm not a big classical fan, but technically he was one of the best and most entertaining.

Elvis
05-26-05, 01:39 PM
To be honest, Randy, Elvis wasn't a very good singer. Neither was Sinatra. You have to separate persona and style from technical ability.

If you put Hendrix in a group with Segovia, Atkins, King, Clapton, Santana, and Van Halen he finishes a distant seventh. I'll bet I can come up with another half-dozen who could beat Jimi if I put in the time.

RBraczyk
05-26-05, 03:23 PM
The very best usually never get recognized.

I vote clapton, since the only thing special about santana is that he picks up instead of down, lifting the string and letting the twang make his sound. Nothing special. cool, but nowhere near the melody of clapton.

JimHare
05-26-05, 03:37 PM
Picking the "best" guitarist is akin to the GM-Ford debate...emotion frequently overrules reason.. LOL

If you look at technical prowess, musical ability, innovation, influence, and the indefinable "soul" of a musician, here would be my list - after listening to music for the better part of half a century, having music education (Yes, I can read) and being the son of two relatively knowledgable parents.

Hendrix - did things with the elecric guitar that had never been done.
Chet Atkins - nearly every rock/jazz guitarist will name him as an influence
Les Paul - see above
Ritchie Blackmore - songwriting ability overlooked/overshadowed by his legendary perfectionism. See Hendrix above as well.
Jeff Beck - talented across genres, plus he's a car nut
Roy Buchanan - supreme talent, somewhat wasted on a man who didn't care about stardom.
Brian May - exactly the right note at the right time
Vernon Reid - high energy, soul, technicality
Yngwie Malmsteen - speed king, but also has soul and feeling.
Clapton - can't disregard his status from the 60's but his 1975 to current work doesn't do much for me.
Eddie Van Halen - lacking in "soul", but technically proficient.

On the other hand...Page and Townshend are journeymen at best. Not knocking either one, they just are not in the same league as the above list. And I've heard nearly every note they've ever recorded, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Others less well known who deserve a listen : Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Pat Travers, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse...the list goes on...

To each his own, I guess.

:thumbsup:

Randy_W
05-26-05, 04:25 PM
To be honest, Randy, Elvis wasn't a very good singer. Neither was Sinatra. You have to separate persona and style from technical ability.

If you put Hendrix in a group with Segovia, Atkins, King, Clapton, Santana, and Van Halen he finishes a distant seventh. I'll bet I can come up with another half-dozen who could beat Jimi if I put in the time.

I didn't say he was a great singer,( though he really was) but he stood away from the crowd as did Hendrix. To say Jimi wasn't a great , is to express your opinion and nothing more!

Elvis
05-26-05, 04:25 PM
A master has spoken. :worship:

Randy_W
05-28-05, 06:26 PM
Geez, somebody finally recognizes that!:D

Caddy01DTS
05-28-05, 06:37 PM
Clapton

SilverCTS
05-28-05, 08:07 PM
Depends on my mood. I like both a lot, a real lot. Clapton put out a CD with BB King not too long ago (Riding with the King). It is awesome, but I like Santanna just as much. I have a lot of cds from both Clapton and Santanna.

There are tons of great guitar players.

When I was teenager back in the late 70s, I idolized Van Halen. I bought their first album (no CDs back then) before they were so famous.

I think Jimi Hendrix is a bit over-rated, but you have to wonder what kind of recordings he would have produced if he didn't die so young.

Don't forget about some of the great blues players: Buddy Guy & Albert King.

But the most technically brilliant players are probably jazz artists like Al Di Meola & Pat Metheney.

Elvis
05-28-05, 10:46 PM
I saw Albert King live once. Unheralded genius.

We also forgot to mention SRV.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-28-05, 10:48 PM
nobody has mentioned joe satriani ...strange ...i always thought he was awesome ...

Kev
05-29-05, 01:56 AM
Lee Ritenour
Les Paul

90Brougham350
05-29-05, 11:06 PM
nobody has mentioned joe satriani ...strange ...i always thought he was awesome ...

Joe is definately worth mentioning, but his songs still sound like they belong in a racing video arcade game from 1989. However, thanks everyone for the input on this one. My buddy hasn't conceded victory yet, but he'll agree that Clapton is one hell of a guitarist. I had the fortunate experience this weekend of going to a very wealthy friend's house who happens to be an audiophile. He was running a top of the line Adcom amp with some B&W speakers, the ones right below the Nautilus in the product line (for anyone who knows some stuff about audio equipment and cares). We listened to Let It Grow and some of the stuff with BB King from Riding with the King at a level I've never heard before. You wouldn't believe the way Clapton can make a dobro sing, especially when it sounds like he's recording that very minute.

Brian

SilverCTS
05-30-05, 09:16 AM

I have a couple Satriani CDs. Crystal Planet & Strange Beautiful Music. Both CDs are worth buying. He is a real good guitar player.

HotRodSaint
05-30-05, 05:03 PM
Dick Dale :thumbsup: