: 05 Deville

FOXMAN
11-30-13, 02:49 PM
I'm looking at buying an 05 Deville with 120,000 that my boss has for sale. They said one of the cam chains broke and smoked the motor. He wants $500 for it. I have a used motor lined up with 80,000 on it. I thought I read that the head gasket issue isn't a problem with that year engine. What would you guys suggest I do to the replacement motor if anything before I swing it in?

Ranger
11-30-13, 08:59 PM
A broken timing chain is a rarity. Those things are damned near bullet proof.

If it where an older (pre 2000) engine I would recommend you pull the heads and insert the bolt holes as insurance, but if the replacement engine is an '05 I wouldn't worry about it. I think most will agree with me.

satlite440
11-30-13, 09:06 PM
1st reseal the lower case 1/2's and replace the water pump and water pump houseing gaskets scince there will never be a better time...same with the ft moter mount.. and the valve covers.... basicly reseal all of it and it won't nicle and dime you to death over the next 5 yrs..sides it's more expensive in the car..

FOXMAN
12-01-13, 11:10 AM
A broken timing chain is a rarity. Those things are damned near bullet proof.

If it where an older (pre 2000) engine I would recommend you pull the heads and insert the bolt holes as insurance, but if the replacement engine is an '05 I wouldn't worry about it. I think most will agree with me.I haven't had a chance to look at the motor so I can only go by what his mechanic said. Maybe its going to be a simple fix. The motor I have lined up is an 04.

Submariner409
12-01-13, 11:29 AM
Make very sure there were no electronic/electrical changes between 04/05. There were significant differences between 03/04.

2003 - 4 - 5 - 6 were a development progression. Measure twice, install once. :bigroll:

If the replacement engine appears dry and relatively leak-free, no sense in pulling it apart to fix what might or might nor weep.......... and that entire process is not simply slapping gasket sealer around - the cylinder block/halfcase/oil pan are machined and mated as a structural unit - you need to follow specific procedures to get it all back together properly.