We all know that Winters are detrimental for
car batteries - but how is battery Life time
in states with the warmest climates like
Arizona New Mexico Florida and California
compared to a state with not too Cold Winters
like Virginia and Carolinas?

MoistCabbage
11-30-13, 05:36 AM
When the car is not being driven, the battery stays no warmer or colder than if it were under the hood. The battery is in a SLIGHTLY better environment when you're driving and the climate control system is keeping you warm or cool (the battery is sitting in a completely in insulated area), but you still shouldn't expect more than 5 or 6 years out off battery.

Ranger
11-30-13, 10:50 AM
There is no norm. I have gotten 8 years out of some and have heard of some going longer. I've also had some go bad in a year or so. Mounting location MAY help a bit, but I doubt it would be very much.

Submariner409
11-30-13, 11:09 AM
I seriously doubt that the battery location makes any significant difference in "life". I have had equipments that housed their batteries in a lot of different environments - and battery life was the luck of the draw.

The single best thing for a battery - particularly one that sits idle for long periods - is to keep it charged. A partially or fully discharged battery will NEVER perform or last as well or long as a fully charged one. Google "automotive battery maintainer".

BUT - if your car has a Group 79 battery under the rear seat, make very sure the vent system is properly connected and the side terminals are not weeping electrolyte - or the speed at which the electrolyte and battery fumes eat the floor pan out will amaze you.

My original (STS) battery lasted from 01/2002 - 11/2007; 6 years. The AC Delco replacement lasted 'till last spring - <6 years. The Group 79 Exide 900 CCA in there now is performing just fine ..............

CadillacLuke24
12-01-13, 01:06 AM
I agree, no difference.

My original Delco lasted 16 years

The following Diehard lasted 2.

Ranger
12-01-13, 10:19 AM
16 years! That must be some kind of a record. Are you sure it wasn't an energizer.

http://westdalehistoryrocks.wikispaces.com/file/view/Energizer+bunny.jpg

MachoDemon
12-02-13, 04:55 AM
How about diffences in lifetime between Arizona/new mexico
and Illinois/Montana and Canada

Submariner409
12-02-13, 07:14 AM
If the car was properly maintained, including the battery, why would there be a difference ?

If you're fishing for a heat/cold comparison, I suppose that a given battery might have an easier life (no guarantees on longevity) in a warm climate as opposed to a cold one, but what if the cold climate car was garaged/heated/battery maintainer equipped ?

Just because automotive battery A is called upon to dump more starting amps than B, that won't necessarily damage it or shorten its life.

Ranger
12-02-13, 10:32 AM
My understanding is that heat will deteriorate a battery much faster than cold, thus (generally speaking) Arizona batteries have a shorter life span than Ill. or Minn. batteries.

kaceyseldo
12-23-13, 10:41 PM
16 years! That must be some kind of a record. Are you sure it wasn't an energizer.

Hell yeah! Lol. Keeps going, and going, and going.....

ryannel2003
12-23-13, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the battery I just replaced in my Deville was original. There wasn't a date anywhere stamped on it like store-bought battery and the piece of tape on it looked pretty darn old. If so the battery in my car lasted 10 years.