: Rear Speed Sensors Disconnected... On Purpose?

heugel
05-25-05, 02:15 PM
I recently bought a '96 Deville, and was getting a TC0033 error. Went back, found the speed sensor connecter on the right rear hub was disconnected. Plugged it in, and I got a TC0037 error. So, I went back and connected the speed sensor on the left rear. Ran my codes again, clear the history, and everything reads good.

After some cosmetic TLC, I hop in to take her down the block, and the car starts acting somewhat weird... late shifting and what not. I head back to the house, shut her down, run the codes again, and... nothing.

So I put her through the motions - 10 miles of city driving, 30 miles on the freeway, take it back home and still no codes! In the meantime, the car's still acting weird, shifting late (from 1st to 2nd, and 3rd to 4th it seemed).

So I stop at the nearest Autozone and run in to borrow a code-scanner. I figure maybe there's something that's not coming up on the dash that's causing the problem. Hook up the code scanner, and sure enough... no codes.

Finally, I was frustrated, so I headed home. While speeding up on the entrance ramp, I get a Service Emissions warning, and later a PC0101 code. Checked the Mass Airflow unit, and it was clean and clear. Cleared the code, ran another 20 miles (still shifting late), and no codes.

I'm lost now. The only 2 things I did to the car were:

1) Plugged in the rear speed sensors, which were disconnected at the hub, and

2) Filled up with Premium and dumped in a half-bottle of gas treatment (not injector cleaner) because the old fuel filter was pretty shotty when I changed it.

Anyone have any clue if someone may have disconnected the rear speed sensors on purpose? If so, why? Or do I possibly have another problem (maybe as simple as dry gas disrupting the throttle control sensor system)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 02:31 PM
i wonder if it is acting normal now ...heres my theroy

with the speed sensors disconected the turned the traction controll turned itself off and started off from a stop in second gear at all times ....now its starting off in first gear ....

just an idea ....im not well veresed on northstars yet

mcowden
05-25-05, 08:37 PM
This may be far off, but try disconnecting the battery for 30+ seconds to reset any stored values that might be way off because of the lack of speed sensors. That's a quick and easy thing to try until someone chimes in with a better idea.

Good luck...

youbetcha77
05-25-05, 11:04 PM
Unhook those rear sensors again and see if it fixes it.