: Huge Hit-Dodge Charger...

Ralph
05-24-05, 11:18 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_May_23_2005.S173.A8659.html

"Chrysler has already logged more than 100,000 requests for information about the car and dealers have placed orders for 27,000. The big numbers mean that the Charger is already running ahead of the 300 during the comparable point of its introduction in the spring of 2004.

"This gives the Dodge brand another opportunity to increase market share," he said. "I want a lot of volume out of this brand."

90Brougham350
05-24-05, 11:25 PM
Hahaha, and to think, we could have seen the Chevelle return as a queered-up Cavalier! Good for Chrysler. Eventually if you put enough heat under the kettle the water will boil. GM could use another kick in the ass. Then they might actually do something.

Brian

Ralph
05-24-05, 11:27 PM
Hahaha, and to think, we could have seen the Chevelle return as a queered-up Cavalier! Good for Chrysler. Eventually if you put enough heat under the kettle the water will boil. GM could use another kick in the ass. Then they might actually do something.

Brian

I can't wait about a year to see the 2 door Charger they will supposedly produce.

Chevy COULD hit back with a nice retro-looking Camaro instead of that silly SSR IMO. Look how popular the retro-styled Mustang is so far.

illumina
05-24-05, 11:28 PM
This is no surprise to me: the Charger is one good looking car, especially when you look at one up close.

Hell, I remember the threads on the Charger a few months ago and if I recall correctly, nobody here liked them. I probably the only one around here who does like the Charger (R/T in particular). I also like the Magnum R/T and 300C.

Boombotz
05-24-05, 11:29 PM
What about Pontiac bringing back a retro-looking Trans Am. That could help GM.

Ralph
05-24-05, 11:31 PM
Hell, I remember the threads on the Charger a few months ago and if I recall correctly, nobody here liked them. I probably the only one around here who does like the Charger (R/T in particular). I also like the Magnum R/T and 300C.

I don't think I liked it but I still have to see one in person to be sure. I still don't know what I think of a 4 door Charger, as it goes against tradition, etc.

Ralph
05-24-05, 11:31 PM

That might even save the division. They need a HIT, that's certain!

Sandy
05-25-05, 12:16 AM
Of the 3, the Charger is by far the ugliest. The Magnum is in the middle & the 300C is the best. None of them will extract any $$ from my wallet, and I'm a MOPAR man at heart, after having sold Dodges, Plymouths, Chryslers and Imperials for 27 years. The best looking one that I've seen was an all black Magnum top of the line with aftermarket deep set chrome rims and a moonroof.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 01:15 AM
I can't wait about a year to see the 2 door Charger they will supposedly produce.

Chevy COULD hit back with a nice retro-looking Camaro instead of that silly SSR IMO. Look how popular the retro-styled Mustang is so far.
there is a 2 door charger already... i saw it in autoweek a few weeks ago done by 3rd party , chrysler took alot of interest in the car and i belive the either own it or comissioned a second one for themselves to study ...it also had a revised nose that looked more inline with the chrgers of yesteryear , that car completly lived up to the charger lore

Ralph
05-25-05, 01:19 AM
there is a 2 door charger already... i saw it in autoweek a few weeks ago done by 3rd party , chrysler took alot of interest in the car and i belive the either own it or comissioned a second one for themselves to study ...it also had a revised nose that looked more inline with the chrgers of yesteryear , that car completly lived up to the charger lore

Whoa!! Maybe they will offer it sooner?! Cool!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 01:34 AM
yup ....i tried to get pics of it a few weeks ago , but the only ones were in the magazine and not online so i never mentioned it ...

the 2 door charger as it was done in the pictures would be enough to sway me over to mopar from the GTO if they offered it in a 6 speed manual

DopeStar 156
05-25-05, 02:50 AM
Trans Am I dunno about, a 67 GTO retro though, that would really attract some money in GM's direction. Chevy needs a Camaro too. Badly. When are these guys gonna wake up?!

M STaR 013
05-25-05, 03:39 AM
yeah i think the charger is ugly too. but i guess 100,000 people or so don't think like me. this is just my opinion...

davesdeville
05-25-05, 05:38 AM
I still think it's ugly. When do they hit the streets? I need to have a time frame so I can get the nitrous installed.

Jesda
05-25-05, 06:22 AM
God, that Charger is so ugly. Then again, that may be 75% of its appeal.

Randy_W
05-25-05, 08:18 AM
Our local dealer has an ugly assed gray/blue Hemi Charger sitting on the lot. That nose is one ugly POS! Just goes to show how hungry we are for a rear drive performancer car, that so many people would pay good money for that abomination!:nono:

Playdrv4me
05-25-05, 11:20 AM
I agree the thing is hideous, but the thinking behind the 4 doors was actually quite ingenious. Think of it this way, the people who are old enough to remember the charger in its glory days, and dreamed of owning one are for the most part now married and have kids. With this thinking in mind, Chrysler axed the two door concept and decided to take a risk on the four door hoping this key audience would be locked in by its high horsepower engine, aggressive looks and finally, by the fact they could fit a family in it comfortably.

Sandy
05-25-05, 11:37 AM
Maybe the Thunderbird woulda survived past this weekend, if it had been a 4-door ?? (To quote Charlie Brown...."Good Grief")

Elvis
05-25-05, 11:54 AM
Duck Fodge. ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 01:08 PM
Maybe the Thunderbird woulda survived past this weekend, if it had been a 4-door ?? (To quote Charlie Brown...."Good Grief")
the late 60s birds had 4 doors ....from what i remeber they didnt sell so hot ...

ShadowLvr400
05-25-05, 03:34 PM
I saw a charger in person recently, and all I can say is dayum... It's the first new car in a while that looks really sinister direct from the factory. Even more so than the 96 Impala SS did in all black. With the Hemi under the hood, it just might live up to it too. Can't wait for the SRT8 version.

K2K
05-25-05, 05:31 PM

They could at least make a reasonably fast SSR. The new "fast" one only does like a 7.6?

EDIT: By the way, has anyone seen the DUB edition Charger? It looks pretty nice. They have a 300c and a R/T edition, too.

Fairly nice changes, but if you ask me -- all DUB really manages to do is to make a mean mesh grille and I must say that however nice 22" wheels seem on a Charger in theory, though... I don't know in practice. I'd like to see what people do with the SRT8 though.

http://www.dubedition.com/charger/charger.html

I attached a picture of the SRT8

Elvis
05-25-05, 05:47 PM
I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

MUST RESIST URGE........MUST RESIST..... :banghead:

Sandy
05-25-05, 05:49 PM
WHO OR WHAT is Dub Edition? A new arm of Chrysler Corp., an aftermarket tuner? or what?

Playdrv4me
05-25-05, 06:04 PM
DUB is a purveyor of aftermarket bling parts. Hence the game "Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition".

K2K
05-25-05, 06:06 PM
Just a division of MHT Wheel company that had the audacity to start making its own special editions ;-) DUB is of course the company known for making extremely giant rims.

90Brougham350
05-25-05, 10:59 PM
Yeah, there's a reason "Ford sells safety and Chevy sells fun." 4 door T-bird has a lot to do with that, and it's haunted Ford ever since.

Brian

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 11:31 PM
DUB = Dorky Urban Brand

Ralph
05-26-05, 06:08 AM
I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

I WILL not buy a Magnum.

MUST RESIST URGE........MUST RESIST..... :banghead:

Station wagons are "cool" again! :helpless:

:vomit:

Jesda
05-26-05, 06:34 AM
Yeah, there's a reason "Ford sells safety and Chevy sells fun." 4 door T-bird has a lot to do with that, and it's haunted Ford ever since.

Brian

How fitting that Ford owns Volvo.

Randy_W
05-26-05, 08:59 AM
They could at least make a reasonably fast SSR. The new "fast" one only does like a 7.6?

You might want to actually read about the subject before making claims, you'll be more credible.

"One magazine tested a 2004 SSR and got a 0-to-60 mph time of 7 seconds, and a quarter-mile time of 15.4 seconds.
The 2005 SSR it tested ran to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and did the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds. So the performance difference is substantial, and as a result, likely the difference in resale value will be, too."

K2K
05-26-05, 02:51 PM
You might want to actually read about the subject before making claims, you'll be more credible.

"One magazine tested a 2004 SSR and got a 0-to-60 mph time of 7 seconds, and a quarter-mile time of 15.4 seconds.
The 2005 SSR it tested ran to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and did the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds. So the performance difference is substantial, and as a result, likely the difference in resale value will be, too."

Yeesh. Sorry :coolgleam

Krashed989
05-26-05, 03:56 PM
In my opinion, the 300, magnum and new charger are all UGLY. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of the old charger from the 70s but this defaces the original style of the charger. The 300 and magnum I just don't like because they are everywhere, like hondas. I liked the concept version of the new charger but I hate how they changed it. The car I want is the new GTO, even though they shouldn't have named it that because it doesn't even remotely look like the original GTO.

Randy_W
05-26-05, 04:12 PM
Yeesh. Sorry :coolgleam

I didn't mean to come off like an *******, sorry.:thumbsup:

K2K
05-27-05, 04:25 AM
Haha. No worries. I do believe I was extremely tipsy one night and woke up thinking that the SRT did a 0-60 in 7.6.

At least we can all agree that Caddies will own those self-conscious Lincoln owners to no extreme.

I was wrong you are right.

Let's get back to the new Charger, though. I want to see a Charger that could own a Mustang and still live up to its heritage.(the SRT)

Has anyone heard of any extremely muscle-oriented versions of the Charger?

Ralph
05-27-05, 05:51 AM
Has anyone heard of any extremely muscle-oriented versions of the Charger?

Gotcha covered bud. :yup:

http://www.maximonline.com/the_ride/articles/article_6380.html

"Drawbacks: The 350 bhp Charger R/T is available now for about $30,000, but Dodge will make us wait a painful four months or so for the 425 bhp brute you see here. Not cool."

Personally, my first favorite choice is the Mustang GT, but the Charger in 4 months will eat all! Perhaps NOT an STS-V? (new "Vs." thread...)

davesdeville
05-27-05, 06:03 AM
(perhaps NOT an STS-V?)

Not since the Charger SRT-8 accelerates to 60 in 5.3 seconds and the STS-V is "under 5 seconds."

Ralph
05-27-05, 06:06 AM
Not since the Charger SRT-8 accelerates to 60 in 5.3 seconds and the STS-V is "under 5 seconds."

Well then, the Dodge boys can leave their mother-in-law on the curb, along with the spare tire.......that should make it go a bit faster... ;)

Where did you hear sub-5 secs for the V? I didn't think any real numbers were out for it yet..

Edit....here's something that backs you up..

http://www.fast-autos.net/cadillac/cadillacstsv.html

K2K
05-27-05, 11:52 AM
Well then, the Dodge boys can leave their mother-in-law on the curb, along with the spare tire.......that should make it go a bit faster... ;)

Where did you hear sub-5 secs for the V? I didn't think any real numbers were out for it yet..

Edit....here's something that backs you up..

http://www.fast-autos.net/cadillac/cadillacstsv.html

I think it's their new ad campaign -- the entire 2006 'V' series under 5 seconds.

I believe the website is "cadillacunder5.com"

Ralph
05-27-05, 06:27 PM
I think it's their new ad campaign -- the entire 2006 'V' series under 5 seconds.

I believe the website is "cadillacunder5.com"

I think I read a couple of CTS-V owners claims that they can't break sub 5 times.

I'll have to look at that site.

M STaR 013
05-27-05, 07:32 PM
ya. "V" is roman numeral for "5" and they want to be under that. thats why they named it V-series. heh, this is just a guess on my part, but my explaination makes some sense right?

back to the charger. yeah it's still ugly. i think GM should have made the new Impala and Monte Carlo REAR wheel drive because they are putting a 303hp V8 in them for '06. i think that would have boosted public interest with comparison between impala vs 300 vs charger

Ralph
05-27-05, 08:51 PM
ya. "V" is roman numeral for "5" and they want to be under that. thats why they named it V-series. heh, this is just a guess on my part, but my explaination makes some sense right?

back to the charger. yeah it's still ugly. i think GM should have made the new Impala and Monte Carlo REAR wheel drive because they are putting a 303hp V8 in them for '06. i think that would have boosted public interest with comparison between impala vs 300 vs charger

From what I heard, the 2006 Monte will be RWD but the problem is they aren't changing the styling at all so basically, no one will know the difference between that and the V6 versions.

davesdeville
05-27-05, 09:28 PM
06 Monte Carlo is still FWD.

Ralph
05-28-05, 07:02 PM
06 Monte Carlo is still FWD.

I checked and you are correct! What threw me is that they are going back to V8, but with FWD like my car! They should go RWD!

davesdeville
05-29-05, 05:06 AM
No kidding. With the 5.3 and RWD the Monte Carlo could be a good start for a performance car, people would take it more seriously, and it would be better competition for the Mustang.

ShadowLvr400
05-30-05, 08:56 PM
The Monte is gonna be a 5.3 pushrod, with FWD. GM won't give up with FWD for some reason.

Ralph
05-30-05, 08:59 PM
The Monte is gonna be a 5.3 pushrod, with FWD. GM won't give up with FWD for some reason.

I remember hearing that the Impala was going back to RWD. Does this mean it isn't now??!!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-30-05, 09:19 PM
everybody is on hold untill Zeta can be rehashed into something that will acutally sell

Ralph
05-30-05, 09:22 PM
everybody is on hold untill Zeta can be rehashed into something that will acutally sell

Catherine Zeta Jones is selling Chevy's now on the street corner??!!

ok, bad joke. :hide:

Ralph
05-30-05, 10:23 PM
I don't think I posted this review yet... good pics..

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06charger.htm

"the Charger Daytona R/T is a special package limited to 8000 cars for the 2006 model year (with 5-10% coming to Canada). Available in Go ManGo orange or Top Banana yellow, the Daytona R/T gets and additional 10 hp from its specially tuned exhaust, and features a Road/Track performance package (an available option on the R/T) with load levelling suspension, 18" polished wheels, unique front facia, front and rear spoilers, suede seat inserts, matching body-coloured centre stack bezel, and a special numbered limited-edition Daytona badge on the instrument panel. Price for the Daytona R/T is not yet confirmed."

"Yes, the Dodge Charger is built just the way police departments like them: rear-wheel drive, lots of available power, roomy interiors and a big trunk. The platform is shared by the Magnum and Chrysler 300, but the Charger's "Touring" suspension is tuned for more performance."

'There's no manual transmission available on any Charger models, and to be realistic, it's unlikely that there would be more than the slimmest demand for one. Nonetheless, a five or six-speed manual on the Charger Daytona R/T would fit well with the car's character. Maybe on the upcoming SRT8 version, which will arrive with a whopping 425 hp."

"On the local highways, the Charger impressed in both 3.5 V6 and 5.7 V8 forms (I didn't get an opportunity to drive the 2.7 L V6), with its quiet, stable and comfortable ride. Both engines are virtually inaudible at 100 km/h, and cruising speeds can be much higher than that without wind or engine noise. Fit and finish is superb in these spacious, Canadian-built, driver-friendly vehicles. Passengers will love the rear seat roominess."