: help rear oil leak hard to pinpoint.......

ocjmakaveli
05-24-05, 04:35 PM
my car started leaking from the rear of the engine on Sunday after i went joyriding and took the car upwards of 100+

there was always a little oil leak but never enough so that it would drip down and the floor never had any oil

but since sunday night the car has been leaking a good amount it drips constantly when the car is on I tried removing the TC cover today but i ran out of time and have to go to work in a few mins.

my question is I had the car jacked up from the front and when I turned on the car I saw some oil leak on the right side from above and very little through the tc cover weep hole but when i turned the car off after about 30 seconds to a minute later oil started dripping fromt the tc cover hole I'd say about 1/4 quart or maybe less dripped out onto the floor when the car was off. Where could this leak be coming from?

I'm going to take off the tc cover tomorrow but at the moment I don't want to risk driving it because the oil lands on the catalystic converter and then a little smoke comes out the side of the car.

could this be the rear seal/ my car has 53,000 miles but i have driven it rough over the past 3 years.

It really doesnt' seem to be the oil filter adapter gasket because its dry as a bone above the oil filter or can it be dry looking but still leak? Would the oil filter get oily if the adapter was leaking?

Is it possible for the rear main seal leak to get oil on the right side catalystic converter?

is there much harm in driving my car even if i put oil in it daily? I just need it for work until friday but I can bum a ride if necessary....

Thanks for your help guys

ocjmakaveli
05-25-05, 07:17 AM
Under further investigation I noticed that the leak is above the driveplate and it is thrown by the force of the driveplate which makes everything else get dirty with oil so i'm pretty sure its the rear main seal.

68caddycoupedeville
05-25-05, 07:46 PM
check the back of the valve cover i thought my main seal was leaking too but just found out the valve cover gasket was leaking in the back and was dripping down the back of the engine