: '80's Brougham gear sticks?

shortlid
05-24-05, 10:18 AM
My grandma's '85 (I think) 5.0 liter Brougham sits a lot. I have replaced all hoses, battery, and replaced leaking airbags with air shocks.:bouncy: But teh auto tranny sticks in gear after it warms up? The ATF is the right level and smells OK? But if you are slowing to a stop it creaps more than usual at a stop light with the brakes applied. then when you go to take off it is like it is in thrid. It takes a long time to get up to speed, and bogs! It si like at a stop it is not shifting down to second and first??:confused:

SolidGoldsteen
05-25-05, 06:35 AM
You could be having the same issue I'm having:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40917

shortlid
05-25-05, 09:44 AM
This thread speaks of Fuel Injection. I belive all 307/5.0 liter '80's Brougham's had four bbl. carbs on them? What kind of tranny is the Overdrive automatic in the '80's Broughams with the 307?:confused:

SolidGoldsteen
05-25-05, 10:32 AM
Yeah, well I was trying be nice... You have a huge mess on your hands. And the KBB value of the car? NOT much.

By the way, there might still be a TV cable from the carb to the transmission. It doesn't matter if my car has TBI or not. It's all levers and cables. But, either way, the car you're talking about sounds like it has OTHER problems.

shortlid
05-25-05, 11:05 AM
I appreciate the reply and the help SolidGoldstein. I just think they are too diff. but I don't know does a 80's Brougham have a TV cable. O rdoes it have a kick down lever like most carbed, automatic cars?:confused: My grandma loves that car cause it was the last caddy of 20 my Grandpa had before the end of his life!!!! I would like to get it running decent to be able to use it this weekend.:thumbsup:

SolidGoldsteen
06-02-05, 03:49 AM
I'm sending this to the top...

Did you make any headway on this?
:band:

shortlid
06-02-05, 07:51 AM
It did not seem to do it AS much as in the past last long weekend. Maybe it is just how the Caddy shifts. Using as high a gear as posible, even up hill? Makes it REAL slow!!

SolidGoldsteen
06-02-05, 12:47 PM
Yea, it may be.

With my 4.1 SDV, I need to get the throttle angles just right or it "bogs". I think some better exhaust manifolds might be the solution. Or else the intake is just designed poorly.

Cadi's make a lot of torque, so they definately don't shift high, since peak torque, for instance, is at 2200 RPM.

N0DIH
06-02-05, 08:25 PM
Yes, all THM200 4R's (which the Cad does), the THM200C's and the THM700 R4/4L60 (not 4L60E) have. This must be adjusted periodically, I recommend every 6 months. But I have seen THM350's downshift valve wear a groove in the throttle body causing it to stick and causing it to stay in first gear until redline and it shifts, then it holds 2nd until redline. (Redline of the trans, where the governor tells it to shift).

Check for cable binding. You can pull the cable if you have to and check it. But I would start at the top and pull the connector off the carb (or throttle body if it is a HT or TBI car) and and pull on it, it should want to return and it should be able to go full throttle range. Then reset it and set it (press in detent on cable, right where it goes into the cable mount at the carb, push cable back towards firewall, then go to WOT at the carb/throttle body, it should click to the WOT position). Or just read this post with BBob's reply: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40917

I appreciate the reply and the help SolidGoldstein. I just think they are too diff. but I don't know does a 80's Brougham have a TV cable. O rdoes it have a kick down lever like most carbed, automatic cars?:confused: My grandma loves that car cause it was the last caddy of 20 my Grandpa had before the end of his life!!!! I would like to get it running decent to be able to use it this weekend.:thumbsup:

cmgrafmc
06-05-05, 04:21 AM
Lockup solenoid? Just a guess. I had similar problems until it was replaced. Cheap replacement if you can do the work. Otherwise it'll be maybe $75?