: Do Video Games Cause Violence? (GTA Lawsuit Pending)

Ralph
05-24-05, 12:49 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/grandtheftauto3/news_6118699.html

"Just when the furor over Grand Theft Auto: Vice City's "Kill all the Haitians!" level had finally died down, the game sparked another lawsuit. Along with its predecessor Grand Theft Auto III, the crime-action game is being blamed for inspiring the triple murder of three Fayette, Alabama, police officers.

Devin Thompson, 18, is accused of the slayings, which occurred after he was arrested in 2003 for suspicion of the crime of grand theft auto. According to the Associated Press, when he was caught, Thompson said, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime." While being booked at the station, he allegedly grabbed a police officer's pistol and then shot its owner and two other officers in the head; all three died. Thompson is then said to have driven off in a stolen police car, but was later apprehended. He is currently being charged with three counts of first-degree murder, and is set to go to trial on July 11.

Two of the victims' next of kin have filed a lawsuit accusing the two GTA games as having "trained and motivated" Thompson to commit his crimes. Besides Take-Two, the other defendants named in the near 60-page, $600 million suit are Wal-Mart and GameStop, where Thompson is said to have bought both M-rated games while under the ESRB-mandated 17-year-old purchase age."

Spock
05-24-05, 01:35 AM
These games need to be regulated (which they are) and parents need to make sure that their young influential children are not exposed to such violence. Unlike violent movies or television, video games make the "act" so much more personal.

I think another question should be, should such games even exist? Or can ones sense of morality guide themselves in the game. For example, in Deus Ex I was able to play the game without killing anyone and just sneaking around. When I played GTA I was forced to kill.

As a behaviourist, I believe that humans are creatures are of habit and become normalized to these video games. If the weak minded plays these too much it could become a part of them.

ShadowLvr400
05-24-05, 01:57 AM
These games are not "training" our youth. If they were, why aren't there more plumbers diving through pipes, jumping on mushrooms, and stomping on turtles? How about climbing a series of platforms while a monkey throws barrels at you? Another parent failed to raise their kid properly, and their kid killed some cops. Now the cops families want to sue companies trying to make money, because a parent didnt do their job. Go after the loser parents, not someone trying to make money. Just like the fatass losers who are suing the fast food chains because they're getting heart disease and diabetes. Put down the fries, put down the game controller get outside for 10 minutes, and take your little children with you. The fresh air and exercise is a good thing. *rant over*

Ralph
05-24-05, 03:19 AM

As a behaviourist, I believe that humans are creatures are of habit and become normalized to these video games. If the weak minded plays these too much it could become a part of them.

But if millions of people (including children) play violent games, and DON'T emulate what happens, does that mean it helps get violent behaviour out of their systems in a harmless way? The vast, vast majority don't emulate the pixels on the screen, otherwise the violent crime rate would've skyrocketed years ago.

danbuc
05-24-05, 03:55 AM
Games don't cause violence, poor parenting, and lack of disciplinary action, does. Any normal kid that has been taught right from wrong should be able to understand the concept that shooting someone is not a good thing. On the other hand, if the kid playing the game was never taught right from wrong, or was not instilled with any sort of moral, or ethical values, then they would not understand such a concept. Therefor, they would be unable to grsp the fact that shooting someone is wrong, and may be tempted to do so. Even with good parenting though, there are still those few kids, that may have issues (i.e. somesort of chemical imbalance lets say), that are simply not capable of behaving in a normal, non-violent way.

Here's an example. Let's say little Timmy who's 14 just got GTA:Vice city. He can't wait to play it, and starts as soon as he can. Timmy has been raised to well mannered, and relatively non-violent. He plays the game, shoots the characters, and then goes otu to play with his friends. He doesn't go out and shoot three people, because he understands that it would be a bad thing to do. On the other hand, if little Timmy never learned that shooting people is a bad thing, or he grew up with bad influences (i.e. parents, gangs,..ect), he may not understand. The possiblity of Timmy simply being incapable of rational thought, could also lead him to shoot three people as well.

Some people understand that shooting someone is bad, and some don't. It's the people who don;t understand this concept, that should not be playing these games. Because they do not understand the difference between everyday, normal, acceptable behavior, it is harder to distinguish between the game and reality. Not having this distinction, may lead to similar behavior, simply because the individual does not understand what is wrong with it.

As I said before, any kid, that know's that shooting someone is wrong, is in no danger of being corrupted by a video game. It's the select few, who have certain "issues" that may make them more succeptable to such behavior, that are in danger of copying these games.

To deprive the many kids, that find simple enjoyment in playing these games, simply because of the few who do not have the mental capacity to distinguish between right and wrong, is well....wrong. Parent's shoudl be more than able to jusdge whether or not there child is mature enough to handle such a game, and if not, shoudl not allow it to be played. As long as the child understands, that it's a game, and not acceptable behavior in the real world, then let them have fun.

I've played my fair share of "shootem' up" games, but I haven't shot anyone. This is because I have the the ability to distinguish between right and wrong, just like 99.99% of all the other happy kids playing their games. It's the few "bad apples" as they say, that play a game like GTA, and then think to themselve's, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to go out and shoot three cops just like in the game I just played?". Any kid that thinks that, and then acts on it, is in depserate need of Psychiatric care.

Ralph
05-24-05, 05:08 AM
I've played my fair share of "shootem' up" games, but I haven't shot anyone. This is because I have the the ability to distinguish between right and wrong, just like 99.99% of all the other happy kids playing their games. It's the few "bad apples" as they say, that play a game like GTA, and then think to themselve's, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to go out and shoot three cops just like in the game I just played?". Any kid that thinks that, and then acts on it, is in depserate need of Psychiatric care.

I think you're right. Any kid who is crazy enough to murder somebody has issues a long time before they ever see a video game. They're as likely to be set off going to church as they are by manipulating polygons on a screen.

Basically, I don't think normal people should be held hostage by the 0.0001% who have some sort of mental imbalance. Even though there are obviously some "well-meaning" people who want to have a law for everything.

Another concern is that if they get the 600 million, Rockstar will likely not have enough money to make another GTA game! It could ruin the company as we know it. Then all peaceful video gamers suffer.

davesdeville
05-24-05, 05:55 AM
I think this thread has about covered it already.

Ralph
05-24-05, 05:57 AM
I think this thread has about covered it already.

I doubt it. It's a touchy subject with many people, as much as gun control, etc.

NO ONE deserves 600 million for ANY lawsuit!!!

HotRodSaint
05-24-05, 10:57 AM
They're as likely to be set off going to church as they are by manipulating polygons on a screen.

That's the most ignorant sentence I think I've ever read in my entire life. :annoyed:

How many kids or adults for that matter, have ever claimed that going to church lead them to kill people?

Now how many kids said it was video games (or music or movies) that made them kill?

The fact is, they are not as likely to be set off by going to church. And the data supports that view.

I'd also add, that if kids go to church, they are slightly less likely to be influenced by Hollywood and it's culture of death.

So don't trash the church in your feable attempt to defend what is most obviously a contributing factor in the continuing rise of violence amongst youth.

Thanks for a great laugh at the start of my day, you car stealing, prostitute killing, drug dealer. Now go to church and repent of those sins! :)

Kels55
05-24-05, 11:08 AM
Now how many kids said it was video games (or music or movies) that made them kill?

Ever thought that was just the easiest excuss to use to take the blame off of themselves for making stupid mistakes (because no one ever admits that they are actually a bad person) and the fact that their parents didn't take the time to raise their kids properly.

ShadowLvr400
05-24-05, 03:00 PM
I'd also add, that if kids go to church, they are slightly less likely to be influenced by Hollywood and it's culture of death.

So don't trash the church in your feable attempt to defend what is most obviously a contributing factor in the continuing rise of violence amongst youth.

Hollywood's culture of death? Hollywood is a business, and in order to be sucessful, you have to sell a product that people WANT. Hollywood has so much death and violence because people ask for it. Especially in this day and age. Some of hollywood's best stuff wasn't death related though, but romance. Gone with the Wind for example. Hollywood works hard to give what's popular. Finding Nemo, Robots, Bicentennial Man, Finding Forrester, what's that movie with Robin Williams as a teacher? Not Good Will Hunting, but like, Dead Poet's Society? I forget now if that was it. Movies that were about the philosophy of life (not so much the first 2) were able to come out of "culture of death" as you put it HRS.
If you want a culture of death, take religion. The largest figure in christian/catholic based religions, is someone who is remembered because of how he died. He's made significant becaus he was tortured and killed in the same way as thousands of people back in that day. The way we remember that, is a small representative of the torture device that killed him.
Additionally, a huge part of religion and the church, is this lack of focus on our current life, and this focus instead on the life after death. Be good, and do right now, so that when you die... you go to heaven. If you're bad, when you die you'll go to hell asnd suffer for all eternity... Sounds like to me like the church and religion is more death focused than holywood.

Playdrv4me
05-24-05, 03:10 PM
Videogames dont kill people... People do. :D

Elvis
05-24-05, 04:00 PM
Game Over

Stoneage_Caddy
05-24-05, 05:40 PM
video games cause violence ....do you know how many controllers i have broken over the time ive owned playstations ?

i know that stupid red car was cheating ...i just gotta prove it !!!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-24-05, 05:42 PM
BTW i have wanted to drag people out of there cars and beat the hell out of them for years before GTA came out ....now i can do it legally ....LOL

JC316
05-24-05, 06:19 PM
You asked, so don't flame me. "Do Video games cause violence?", No they do not cause violence. More like they are part of the cause of violence. What causes kids to do crap like that are several key factors.

1. Lack of parents at home.
This is the main cause of violence among kids. They don't have a parent at home to discipline and teach them that violence is wrong when they are young.
2. Lack of God in schools.
It is controverseal, but true. They are NOT getting taught the proper values or morals that the Bible can provide in schools anymore.
3. Some perscription medication.
Things like prednsone and Allegra can cause MASSIVE mood changes and anger. I know this from personal experience, Allegra and Prednisone can cause BAD anger issues in certain people, myself included.
5. Being picked on at school and having no one to help.
If a child is being picked on in school the parents NEED to do something. I don't want to hear the "We didn't know it was happening" excuse either. Open you fuc*ing eyes and pay attention.

All of the above is a root cause when kids are growing up and then you get a hot headed person by nature PLUS a super violent game like GTA. Then yeah the shit could hit the fan. I was raised in an enviroment oppiste of the one I just listed and I have been playing the likes of Doom and Duke Nukem since I was 7. I have never even gotten into a fist fight, much less kill someone. This is my theory and I am sure that some people will disagree, but this is based on personal observation and experiences. Games are NOT the cause, just an excuse for the people that raise thier children in the above mentiond enviroment. Wake up, put your work second, get into your childs life, and quit making excuses.

Kels55
05-24-05, 06:32 PM
Next time I beat the living crap out of someone, the first thing I'll say is...

"I just saw THE PASSION OF CHRIST!!!"

That way we can blame the church as well.

Obviously that is just stupid to say and do something like that but if you want to blame Hollywood or Video Games, then we better include the things that spoke of or depicted violence and hate crime before Hollywood and Video Games....

EVERY BOOK OF RELIGION SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME

ben72227
05-24-05, 07:01 PM
Rockstar has nothing to worry about. Sony isn't about to let the their "Halo" for the PS3 go down in flames. If Rockstar can't defend themselves, you can bet that Sony will defend them.:sneaky:

Also, I agree with Danbuc's explanation.

Ralph
05-24-05, 08:26 PM
BTW i have wanted to drag people out of there cars and beat the hell out of them for years before GTA came out ....now i can do it legally ....LOL

:histeric: :thumbsup:

Ralph
05-24-05, 08:29 PM
You asked, so don't flame me. "Do Video games cause violence?", No they do not cause violence. More like they are part of the cause of violence. What causes kids to do crap like that are several key factors.

This is the main cause of violence among kids. They don't have a parent at home to discipline and teach them that violence is wrong when they are young.
It is controverseal, but true. They are NOT getting taught the proper values or morals that the Bible can provide in schools anymore.
Things like prednsone and Allegra can cause MASSIVE mood changes and anger. I know this from personal experience, Allegra and Prednisone can cause BAD anger issues in certain people, myself included.
If a child is being picked on in school the parents NEED to do something. I don't want to hear the "We didn't know it was happening" excuse either. Open you fuc*ing eyes and pay attention.

All of the above is a root cause when kids are growing up and then you get a hot headed person by nature PLUS a super violent game like GTA. Then yeah the shit could hit the fan. I was raised in an enviroment oppiste of the one I just listed and I have been playing the likes of Doom and Duke Nukem since I was 7. I have never even gotten into a fist fight, much less kill someone. This is my theory and I am sure that some people will disagree, but this is based on personal observation and experiences. Games are NOT the cause, just an excuse for the people that raise thier children in the above mentiond enviroment. Wake up, put your work second, get into your childs life, and quit making excuses.

I can agree with this, and it is very logical. Most certainly, a COMBINATION of factors must be considered. Good points.

Ralph
05-24-05, 08:36 PM
Rockstar has nothing to worry about. Sony isn't about to let the their "Halo" for the PS3 go down in flames. If Rockstar can't defend themselves, you can bet that Sony will defend them.:sneaky:

Also, I agree with Danbuc's explanation.

I hope you are right! I would be concerned about Rockstar though, because people sometimes think that ANY company can just pull out 600 million dollars out of thin air and continue business as usual like nothing happened without making cuts or increassing the price of the product to make it up, or going BUST. These are MULTIPLE lawsuits! Just like many people think GM can afford to eliminate Pontiac and Buick and lose 800,000 extra vehicle sales per year and go on like nothing happened. Not to mention the dealerships that would sue like the Olds dealerships did and it cost billions for GM!

There will be negative consequences if this lawsuit goes through and it's not just Rockstar they want to sue, they want a piece of Wallmart also. I realize Wallmart is probably larger than Rockstar, but that's not the point. I don't believe they should get a penny. If their children aren't adjusted enough to reality, and don't know the difference between a video game and reality, then perhaps it's time to raise kids more carefully and spend more educational time with them, etc.

ShadowLvr400
05-24-05, 08:43 PM

I'll agree with all but number 2. God/religion/the bible do NOT need to be in the schools. I didn't have any of those in my life, yet I was taught morality, and educated enough to decide on my own moral code. I have never read the bible, never was taught the 10 commandments, and have never prayed to god. But, I still know what is right, and what is wrong. I may not always follow through, but I know the difference. If religion must be in a kid's life, it should be at home, not in the schools. After all, not everyone follows the bible, or even the same bible. (I know at least 2 different versions that exist.) There's also the fact that no 2 sects agree on interpretation of the bible. Take Roman Catholics, and Southern Baptists. I'd bet $5 that you can't get them to agree on everything. If you put religion into schools, you've now set the government in the role of picking a religion, and setting all others aside, or at lower standing. This violates part of our Bill of Rights, and the spirit of why America was created as the Land of the Free. (Admittedly, the founding fathers still had their own biases, many of which have become outdated, some of which are still clung to by people.) You do make good points, I just disagree on the religion part.

Ralph
05-25-05, 12:09 AM
These games are not "training" our youth. If they were, why aren't there more plumbers diving through pipes, jumping on mushrooms, and stomping on turtles? How about climbing a series of platforms while a monkey throws barrels at you? Another parent failed to raise their kid properly, and their kid killed some cops. Now the cops families want to sue companies trying to make money, because a parent didnt do their job. Go after the loser parents, not someone trying to make money. Just like the fatass losers who are suing the fast food chains because they're getting heart disease and diabetes. Put down the fries, put down the game controller get outside for 10 minutes, and take your little children with you. The fresh air and exercise is a good thing. *rant over*

Good points!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-05, 12:27 AM
locked ....