: Great Day at Englishtown NJ

Katshot
10-26-03, 08:54 AM
Well, our FIRST CadillacForums Local membership meeting/outing went very well. Myself, Dave (DaveSmed), Josh (JJhomer83)) met for breakfast before heading to the track. Dave brought his dad Jerry (who graciously bought us all breakfast, thanks again Jerry), Josh brought his girlfreind Micky (sorry if I spelled it wrong), I was GOING to bring my sone and daughter but they decided on an ALTERNATE plan.
After breakfast, we caravaned to the track in Englishtown, NJ where we met up with Bill (Toomanytoyz) and my two kids Dave and Jess. There were a lot of B-body GM cars there but our Caddies managed to not only "class up" the place but between me and Bill, we also managed hurt a lot of Impala SS and Caprice drivers' feelings on the track. :D
I wasn't paying a lot of attention but I think Bill's best run ended up to be a 14.3 and mine was a 14.5, not what I was hoping to see but there's always next time. I'm sure Bill will be posting something about the day ASAP so he can give his times if I'm wrong. It really was a wonderful day out there, the weather was beautiful and I think we all had a good time.
For me, the BEST part of the day was when my daughter Jess hit the track (for the very first time) in her Nissan Spec V. I was only going to let her race it once but as it turned out, she was a WILD WOMAN out there and TOTALLY fell in love with the 1/4 mile (spent the rest of the day quoting lines from "Fast & Furious" like "I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time" etc.). However she wasn't the only one that got bitten by the drag racing bug. When we got to the track, neither Dave (DaveSmed) or Josh (JJhomer83) had intended to race thier cars but........
After my first run, I returned to the staging lanes only to find both my daughter AND Josh biting at the bit to get out on the track. My son Dave had taken the Spec V down the track first and that got my daughter Jess revved up and I guess all the other cars going was just too much for Josh. He decided to race his Eldo. Dave (DaveSmed) resisted all day (and rightfully so since his car is really a classic SHOW piece and NOT a race car to be thrashed on the track).
The race was on. As it turned out, there were only a few "non-GM" cars in their own staging lane (including Josh and Jess) and that ultimately ended up setting Josh against Jess in their first race. By the time the two of them hit the track, the rest of us were standing by the wall watching. I was the nervous father watching my daughter in her very first drag race, Micky standing next to me, excitedly watching her boyfriend (Josh). The lights went green and away they went. The rest of what happened will live in history forever. Amazingly, Jess didn't stall it or red light. She actually cut a pretty good light and beat Josh off the line. The next 16 or so seconds must've seemed like an eternity for some of us because at least Micky and I were literally screaming, hoping with crossed fingers and ultimately laughing when the "WIN" light came on at the end of the track on JESS's side!!!! From then on there was no containing Jess. She ran a 16.4, just .4 off my son Dave's time a couple minutes earlier. The rest of the morning was spent watching the two of them duke it out through their other 2 runs. Unfortunately, Josh never managed to beat her. Their last run was a squeaker with Josh pulling a 16.2 to Jess's 16.1. Poor Micky wanted to race but there was no way to get Josh off the track. I think the next time, they'll be bringing TWO cars or will have to split their track time. :D
It's great watching newbies getting bitten by the excitement at the track. Hopefully this was only the FIRST of these type of meetings/outings, I really had a geat time and hope everyone else did too.

ShadowLvr400
10-26-03, 09:11 AM
You think that's bad? I've been a drag racer for.... Wow, probably 3 yrs or better. Hmm didn't realize it's been that long. I recently tried Autocross. Yes, in my Eldo. I'll take AutoX over Drag any day. Drag it's more of the cars going at it. AutoX, the driver skill is the basis. I'm a new addict. :)

Katshot
10-26-03, 10:30 AM
I would contest that conclusion as a "generalization". Drag racing a car with an automatic is fairly close to being a car vs. car scenario as you say but drag racing a manual involves a lot of driver input. Still, R/T's can make or break a race regardless of which CAR is technically superior too.
I tried auto crossing recently and found it to be less than exciting. Almost like playing a video game actually. The main reason is that the course is so small and cramped that you really do not get to explore the gear box or power of the car you're running. Dodging cones in small course layed out in a flat, smooth parking lot is far too "2-dimensional" for me. Give me a road course with off-camber turns, changing elevations that lift and compress the car's suspension at a moments notice, straight-aways that allow you to learn how to deal with a wide variety of engine and road speeds. Now THAT's racing man. Hell most of the time (if not ALL the time) the whole race is spent in just ONE GEAR! What the hell does THAT prove? Autocrossing is fun but I would never classify it as REAL racing.

JJhomer83
10-26-03, 11:08 AM
Day at the races was great all around. Meeting dave, kevin, jerry,(thanks for breakfast) bill, dave D, jess was great. I had a blast. Kevin summed it up really well but my 2 cents are I am now hooked on it. Yes ill admit that i lost a girl in a spec V but .1 sec but i had fun. Jess was great on the track even though kevin said only 1 race but i think she misunderstood. My girlfriend miki (that is how you spell it) got hooked too. She wants me to find another time we can go down and she can get a few paces. Gotta love a girl who's into cars/racing.

Seeing bill and kevins fleetwoods roaring down the track was great. Watching them drop jaws from the impala owners. The funny thing was the pa guy talking about there cars as being a impalliac. Bill had some good runs early in the am but when it came down to his race he went lower than his target time. It was a great run and fastest of the day but it didn't count. I was hoping to see bill and kevin go at it. THat is the matchup to watch next time.

Seeing dave's 68 was great. It is amazing the shape its in and that it still has the original paint on the car. Gotta love those drum breaks all the way around though. That's a true classic.
It was a good local meet for me and i hope everyone had as much fun as i did.

DaveSmed
10-26-03, 11:54 AM
I agree, everything just worked out well yesterday. The weather was perfect, the track prep....acceptable once there was some decent rubber, and it was just an all around fun time. Kevin not only infected Josh with the racing bug, but with the modding bug as well. (Why don't you try removing your air filter?) We had lots of people checking out our cars throughout the day, even before we left IHOP's parking lot. We even had fun on the highway getting there. (Found out the secondarys were stuck closed, keeping me from getting above 80. damn.) Once we got to Englishtown we lined up next to Bill making a nice row of Caddies and.... a Spec V. A little out of place but a nice car just the same. To make Josh feel better to losing it though, I'll mention the Grand National that he beat. (I won't mention the GN's broken axle off the line though. ;) ) Jess did amazingly well for being new to racing and new to a stick shift. Well enough to come just .1 higher than her brothers run. Josh (once he got the go-when-green part down :D) was just .1 higher than her. Seeing everyone and putting names to faces was great, along with being able to check out each others car. I can't wait till the next meet :D

toomanytoyz
10-26-03, 06:42 PM
Hey Guys,

Sorry I'm so late in responding, but I just got home a little while ago. :) I finished out the weekend at my buddy's place down in NJ before leaving for NH early this afternoon. I even got to go see the Devil's play, and get beaten by my Bruins. :) Heh heh.

I had a great time at the track! It really was great to meet you guys. I only wish I'd had more time to hang out and talk with you guys. There just never seems to be enough time during the racing events to just hang out and talk. I'm glad there are a few more around that have been bitten by the bug though! :)

I had some good runs. I was running 14.3's and 14.4's at 97 & 98 mph. Pretty decent. Still not getting off the line very well though. And yeah, I did end up getting eliminated in the second round of eliminations. I ran a 14.39 on a 14.40 dial!!! Dammit! And I even let off too... Oh well.

Here's an in car video (http://www.uniquekind.net/CaddyPage/downloads/etownrun.avi) of one of my 14.3 runs. It's huge, so dial ups beware!

I also have a couple pics of Josh and Jess. Here's one, and I'll email you guys the others.

Hope to see you guys again next year! :)

toomanytoyz
10-26-03, 06:47 PM
Oops... Can't send you guys emails. They are blocked through your profiles. Send me an email at toomanytoyz@uniquekind.net, and I'll send them to you. :)

Blackout
10-26-03, 09:21 PM
Yeah it was a fun day. I was hoping that I could have least gotten into the mid to low 15's but with those crappy $60/tire I threw on there I found out why they were $60 because you don't get any traction whatsoever!!!! :( but it was all in good fun. Hopefully we can do it again and this time I will have my license and my own car by then so I can play around with it :D

toomanytoyz
10-27-03, 07:46 AM
Josh, I tried emailing you the pics twice, and they bounced back both times. I still haven't heard from Kevin either, so I don't know his email...

What I'll do tonight is host the .zip file up on line and post the link so you guys can download it. There are 5 or 6 pics, and they're 3.2 megapixel, so it's a good sized file.

JJhomer83
10-27-03, 08:33 AM
Josh, I tried emailing you the pics twice, and they bounced back both times. I still haven't heard from Kevin either, so I don't know his email...

What I'll do tonight is host the .zip file up on line and post the link so you guys can download it. There are 5 or 6 pics, and they're 3.2 megapixel, so it's a good sized file.

My email is yahoo based. They have a max on size limit. I guess ill have to wait for you to post them up unless you want my work email.

Katshot
10-28-03, 11:46 AM
I know it took me a while but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this picture. This is Jess after her first run (the one she SMOKED Josh in). :D

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 01:19 PM
I know it took me a while but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this picture. This is Jess after her first run (the one she SMOKED Josh in). :D

I had a great time though even if i got beaten by a girl. Now i just have to prepare for next time. If jess is willing to let me have a rematch.

Blackout
10-28-03, 02:07 PM
I had a great time though even if i got beaten by a girl. Now i just have to prepare for next time. If jess is willing to let me have a rematch.Once you beat Jess, then you can come and see me then :p

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 02:13 PM
Once you beat Jess, then you can come and see me then :p

I would love to take you on but the problem i don't think my car is that fast yet. I need to do a lot of work to get to a low 15. Unless you'll let me use another car.

Blackout
10-28-03, 02:25 PM
Depends on the car

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 02:29 PM
Depends on the car

if my old man will let me take his 70 chevelle that would be what i would take. If not my buddies GTP. I'll be the first one to admit my car stock will NOT beat your car stock. My car modded has a slim chance at beating yours. (makes me kinda angry) :mad:

Katshot
10-28-03, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of drag racing Josh! I know how you feel. The problem is that there's ALWAYS someone faster and there's ALWAYS ways to make your car faster if you wish to spend the money. So in the end, either you have to be able to draw the line somewhere and REALLY be content with your car's level of performance, or you go down the never-ending path of modding your car until you either trash it, run out of money, or finally just get tired of what the car's become and dump it.

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 02:51 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of drag racing Josh! I know how you feel. The problem is that there's ALWAYS someone faster and there's ALWAYS ways to make your car faster if you wish to spend the money. So in the end, either you have to be able to draw the line somewhere and REALLY be content with your car's level of performance, or you go down the never-ending path of modding your car until you either trash it, run out of money, or finally just get tired of what the car's become and dump it.

I agree with you there on that one kevin. I have been thinking about it a lot b/c of saturday it has sparked an interest. With the eldo i decieded if i can turn mid 15's i will be satisfied. Any more than that its not worth it. I'm better getting a car that is meant to go down the strip. BTW did mom find out that jess went down the track?

Katshot
10-28-03, 04:16 PM
....BTW did mom find out that jess went down the track?

Yep! I told her right away. She was okay with it after I told her how much fun she had. When Dave and I go racing my wife doesn't pay any attention. She never knew that you had to wear helmets etc. She understands now that the track is the SAFEST place to drive/race. Believe me when I say that my post was formed out of my own experiences. You dad can probably tell you the same thing too. The best thing is to have a nice daily-driver with maybe a few mods on it, and a car for the track. Maybe even one that has to be trailered so you can really strip it down to bare essentials for racing. You'd be surprised how fast you can make even a "stock" car by stripping it down. As for MY car, I really don't drive the FTS that much these days, especially since we got the Aviator! The only thing I can imaging ever doing to it now is to supercharge it. I've always wanted to supercharge a car but never did it. I've always believed that a blower is the BEST way to achieve a truely fast car. Turbochargers generate too much heat, require too much plumbing, produce "turbo-lag", and are only really active at high airflow rates, Nitrous is great for the money but is dangerous to the engine and is only good for drag racing, but blowers are "always on", produce no "lag", produce no excessive heat, and don't require tons of extra plumbing. Maybe one of these days.........
A SUPERCHARGED CADILLAC! :thumbsup:

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 04:23 PM
A SUPERCHARGED CADILLAC! :thumbsup:

would love to see that.

Yeah my dad did say to get my car to one point and keep it that way then save my money and get a strip car. He said ill have more fun that way. Age = experience. Kevin thanks for all of the tips and pointers so far. Ill thank you again in a few weeks when they pile up again.

Katshot
10-28-03, 04:28 PM
I forgot to mention, I think we're going back down to E-Town this weekend. I'll have to check to be sure. It's thier "Import vs. Domestic muscle" day. Everything's gotta be muffled and radial tires. I want to try another PCM flash on my car that I did Sunday.

JJhomer83
10-28-03, 04:35 PM
I forgot to mention, I think we're going back down to E-Town this weekend. I'll have to check to be sure. It's thier "Import vs. Domestic muscle" day. Everything's gotta be muffled and radial tires. I want to try another PCM flash on my car that I did Sunday.

Me and a buddy were talking about that. It would be me and my girl with him and his. He has the GTP. Let me know if your going or not i think we are going though

BeelzeBob
10-28-03, 11:18 PM
Wow. It sounds like you all had lots of fun.. Hopefully I'll get there for the next meet. :D

DaveSmed
10-28-03, 11:27 PM
Back to E-Town? Sounds cool, gotta figure out what i'm doing this weekend now...

Katshot
10-29-03, 08:54 AM
I think it's Sunday and I'll let you know if I'm going.

JJhomer83
10-29-03, 09:04 AM
I think it's Sunday and I'll let you know if I'm going.

Your right saturday is the corvette thing and the race wars for import/detroit is sunday. But sunday is football day thank god eagles on at 4

AirJigga25
10-29-03, 09:17 AM
There were a lot of B-body GM cars there but our Caddies managed to not only "class up" the place but between me and Bill, we also managed hurt a lot of Impala SS and Caprice drivers' feelings on the track. :D

Reppin the Caddies!

Blackout
10-29-03, 09:41 AM
Well a GTP or a Chevelle would kick my cars ass pretty good. So just to save us both $20 congrats on beating me! :worship:

JJhomer83
10-29-03, 11:15 AM
Well a GTP or a Chevelle would kick my cars ass pretty good. So just to save us both $20 congrats on beating me! :worship:

Well then i will just have to use the caddy. I want it to be pretty even. It's more fun that way and your right about the wasting of 20 bucks.

Anyone know why my original account is locked. Did i do something wrong. ???? anyhelp would be great

carnerd
01-23-04, 04:03 PM
Even thoguh I don thave a caddy yet I WANT TO COME TO THE NEXT MEET! By how all of you are talking about it.

Blackout
01-23-04, 05:57 PM
Even thoguh I don thave a caddy yet I WANT TO COME TO THE NEXT MEET! By how all of you are talking about it.Hey man welcome to the board. Your from Yardley? I was from Yardley and then me and Katshot moved out to Newtown so were still in the neighborhood. What kinda Eclipse you got? I really like the DSM's and would love to get my hand's on a 1st gen. AWD DSM :bonkers: But we really haven't talked about another meet as of yet since we are expecting like 6+ inch's of snow on sunday so going to the track is quite a little bit away yet. Bt once the tracks open up and the weather gets better I'm sure that you'll be hearing us talk about another meet.

DaveSmed
01-23-04, 06:21 PM
Yea, I'm going to ask around and see if any one else can go. Last time I asked a friend who has a 64 Sedan Deville to meet us at breakfast. I also was talking about Hotters race night, so apparently he went to Hooters for breakfast.....

Blackout
01-24-04, 01:11 PM
If we do have another meet do we want to go to Englishtown again or do we want to go to another track like Atco or something? Because I've gone to Atco a lot and overall I think they have better track prep and better traction then E-Town. And it might help Josh get some better times :p

DaveSmed
01-24-04, 01:31 PM
Well, Englishtown (http://www.racewaypark.com/) has all-day Test & Tune Feb. 28, and Atco (http://www.atcorace.com/) has one March 6

Blackout
01-24-04, 01:47 PM
Because atleast everyone who went last time know's where E-Town is. So does everyone know where Atco is? If we have a majority of people who don't know where Atco is then I guess we'll just go back to E-Town

DaveSmed
01-24-04, 01:58 PM
I know where Atco is, don't know about Josh though.

Night Wolf
01-24-04, 09:17 PM
How did I not know about this!?!?

Well, the DeVille is away for the winter, but it would be interesting to race the Olds..... complete with the meains from being sideswiped by a telephone poll and all :D (that 3800 V6 does pull pretty good though)

Anway, are we going to be doing something like this again? maybe in the Spring/Summer..... I would LOVE to bring the DeVille, with other Caddys, and race.... so far I only raced twice (not 2 times at the track, but only 2 times down the strip)and my best time was a 16.0, which is not only sad, but I really think the DeVille can do better (bad launch) but I will be putting the performance chip in that.......

.... we should go again.... or maybe Lebannon Valley Dragway (LVD) in NY..... then I can make it, either way, I would like to go next time....if only I knew....

Blackout
01-25-04, 12:38 AM
Well like I said before.....once the weather gets nice out and we all have a free weekend that we all can agree on that we will do it. I think everyone had a good time at E-Town *even though I had to cut out early because the g/f was whining to see me* but hey maybe this time she will be off and I can bring her up and not have to worry about having to leave early two times in a row!

carnerd
01-25-04, 12:47 AM
Yeah remind me when you go up I dont know how to get there but i will follow you up and we can all meet... I should run my car. Hopefully it does 16 lol

Blackout
01-25-04, 12:23 PM
What do you have? 1st/2nd/3rd/4th gen? RS, GS, GST, GSX?

DaveSmed
01-25-04, 12:59 PM
That car would be so much lighter if you took the system out of it.... but not nearly as fun. (Especially since I rewired that damn thing, and it acutally WORKS now)

And Blackout, check his sig for the cardomain link.

Blackout
01-25-04, 01:41 PM
oh ok. you have a 1st gen GS. I was looking at a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi with some mod's done to it but the kid was out of his mind for the price he wanted for it. He was asking $6000 for it. But once I get some money saved up I wouldn't mind having a Eagle Talon TSi *I think they were the hottest looking through the first 2 gen's* But where in yardley you at?

carnerd
01-25-04, 03:29 PM
Well I really live in lower makefield and I live near the kohls... if you know where that is near the oxford valley mall. I want 2500 for my car if you are interested. Has exaust head unit. I will leave the system in there for 3000. including alpine head unit kenwood 800 watt amp 2 kenwood 600 watt 10" subs and infinity speakers. (sounds good) Also has remote start and sweet alarm

Frosty
01-25-04, 03:58 PM
I really I have to get back up to Etown, though Atco is much closer to me. Etown will most likely kick me off since I won't have a cage when the Trans Am is done...at least not right away(though I'm gonna need one).

DaveSmed
02-10-04, 03:50 PM
Just a reminder, E-Town's Test and Tune is coming up, Sat Feb 28.

Frosty
02-10-04, 04:21 PM
ughhhh I need to get the Trans Am done

os101king
03-14-04, 10:23 AM
i have to interject on the subject of turbo vs. supercharger. i have seen an overwhelming amount of evidence to support turbos being the easier AND more effective option to power development. superchargers are sorely lacking in potential.. your blower will operate at a certain RPM vs. the engine RPM and that's it. sure, pulleys can modify that somewhat, but a correctly sized turbo can do anything from give you a powerful off-the-line punch, all the way up to pro stock kinds of power. just like anything, there are pros and cons. but i would suggest to anyone considering a power adder for day to day, that turbos are much more efficient.

regardless, i've never taken my baby to the track, and i'll keep my eyes out for your next e-town meet. i'm from southern ocean county, so i'd love to watch a bunch of caddys come out to play. maybe see what my stocker can do.