: A few questions about the UUC shifter...

Joey'sVee
05-23-05, 01:22 PM
Ok guys, does anyone have a picture of their UCC shifter? Will the UCC shifter look the same as the stock version once it's installed? :hmm:
I looked at the website and they want $400 for it but after a search it looks like some of you guys got it for $300. How do I get the lower price? :p
Thanks for all the info!

DILLIGAF
05-23-05, 01:32 PM
No ,yes,try to deal for lower price I guess. was 295 haven't installed it yet

urbanski
05-23-05, 01:36 PM
FAQ is yer friend :)
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/uucshifter-1.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/uuc/uucshifter-sv.jpg

can't tell it's installed visually inside the car.
Supply and demand! Demand went way up, so did the price :)

sefa01
05-23-05, 01:40 PM
The $295 was in introductory price. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

lasstss
05-23-05, 02:11 PM
The $295 was in introductory price. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

At $300 they were giving it away. Someone at UUC woke up.

lawfive
05-23-05, 02:35 PM
I asked. They won't come down in price, even for a group buy. They don't need to.

heavymetals
05-23-05, 02:35 PM
Just got a quote back to install and down time from a UUC dealer in Carson Ca.

It should take is 1.5 hours to install the short shifter for $150.00.
Please call me at 310-763-8000 if you have any questions.

Regards,
Paul Dam

"AMS Sales Department" <AMSSales@advancedmotorsport.com>

Sounds like a deal to me!

urbanski
05-23-05, 02:40 PM

Regards,
Paul Dam

Sounds like a deal to me!
$150 is a good deal, I paid $175...
but it takes more than 1.5 hours :)

trekster
05-23-05, 02:41 PM

Regards,
Paul Dam

Sounds like a deal to me! Cool it's only a 20min drive i'm going to setup an appoinment for the install.

TheHylandr
05-23-05, 06:24 PM
Install it yourself and save the $150 for other mods. It's an easy install. Putting my B&B exhaust on was togher than installing the shifter!!! It comes with great instructions too!!!

trekster
05-23-05, 07:10 PM
Install it yourself and save the $150 for other mods. It's an easy install. Putting my B&B exhaust on was togher than installing the shifter!!! It comes with great instructions too!!! Most of us don't have the tools and time to do it.

ctsvett
05-23-05, 07:52 PM
Black beast,
I think you install is done (if thats your v in their shop). I called them today and scheduled for Wed (no time to install myself- oh and no lift).

They have another V going in tomorrow.

Reed

TheHylandr
05-23-05, 08:03 PM
Most of us don't have the tools and time to do it.

Oh, I see :rolleyes:

JOEYCTS-V
05-23-05, 08:40 PM
All I have to say is UUC should get some kind of award for this product. I just had it installed today along with lasstss's polyurethane bushing and I still have a smile on my face. No added noise, just tight, crisp shifts every time. It also cleared up the 1st to 2nd shift about 99.9 percent. I was also charged 150 for installation. I recommend the bushings because the stock ones were already getting chewed up and had deep marks in them from being worn. This is a MUST for every CTS-V owner. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: to UUC.

heavymetals
05-23-05, 08:48 PM
Got my UUC shifter installed (while I waited) at AMS in Carson.

Price was $200.00

$50 more then what I was quoted, but it involved more work then what he thought (I was the first CTS-V).
It definitly involved more work then what I wanted to do, and I don't have a lift either.

Great place!

They also have a Dyno, and they indicated they would be receptive to a group buy on dyno time.

Was it worth it?

HECK YA!

Now the shifting feels like my Vette.:thumbsup:

While I was there two other V owners called to arrange appointments to get theirs installed.
This forum works!:yup:

knockout_tx
05-23-05, 08:51 PM
With all this good replies, the price has got to up....................:histeric:

trekster
05-23-05, 09:14 PM
Black beast,
I think you install is done (if thats your v in their shop). I called them today and scheduled for Wed (no time to install myself- oh and no lift).

They have another V going in tomorrow.

Reed I wasn't able to go today since my car is getting serviced at the dealer. I'm going tomorrow.

ctsvett
05-23-05, 09:57 PM
I was the other who called.

Reed

heavymetals
05-23-05, 10:24 PM
They have it set up so that you can play video games while you wait.

Driving simulator which I sucked at.:annoyed:

They want to start doing more muscle cars.

They have the ability to dyno your car and webcast it.
Paul said he runs the fans at about 75mph.
Looks like a first class dyno.
Will even do four wheel drive.

I am gonna have them install the headers on a slow day.

calicadi
05-23-05, 10:30 PM
In Northern California go to http://www.edgemotorworks.com/ in Dublin, CA. They are authorized UUC dealers. Ask for Erik or Gordon. Tell them the Solo2 Cadillac driver sent ya'.

This has been an unsolicited plug. I'm not connected to them in any way except I hope to be a customer some day and know them from racing at SCCA Solo2 events. The problem for me... putting this shifter on would take me out of A Stock class into A Prepared, going up against guys who have seriously modified their cars. Bummer!

benjet
05-23-05, 10:51 PM
In Northern California go to http://www.edgemotorworks.com/ in Dublin, CA. They are authorized UUC dealers. Ask for Erik or Gordon. Tell them the Solo2 Cadillac driver sent ya'.

This has been an unsolicited plug. I'm not connected to them in any way except I hope to be a customer some day and know them from racing at SCCA Solo2 events. The problem for me... putting this shifter on would take me out of A Stock class into A Prepared, going up against guys who have seriously modified their cars. Bummer!

You are welcome to come check mine out once it's in (it just showed up today).

1gCtsV05
05-24-05, 10:28 AM
I just had it installed today along with lasstss's polyurethane bushing and I still have a smile on my face. No added noise, just tight, crisp shifts every time. .

what bushing ? :hmm:

just called UUC to as about anything else i need with shifter... she had just finishing processing my order from yesterday.. I GOT THE LAST ONE!!!!
:) The are now on back order... hse said they are a pain in the arse to make!!! I told her she better start cracking the whip!!! :p

JOEYCTS-V
05-24-05, 11:15 AM
what bushing ?

The 2 bushings that go on the shifter linkage.

lasstss
05-24-05, 11:51 AM
Make sure you guys grease all of the attachment points with a silicone lube. They are dry from the factory. It will keep the pins/joints from wearing out.

1gCtsV05
05-24-05, 12:53 PM
The 2 bushings that go on the shifter linkage.

right.. but the bushing previously mentioned come with UUC or are bought afterwards?

JOEYCTS-V
05-24-05, 01:14 PM
right.. but the bushing previously mentioned come with UUC or are bought afterwards?

I know lasstss sent UUC the specs of the bushing so they should be available through UUC. I bought them from lasstss but last I heard he had no more left.

1gCtsV05
05-24-05, 02:10 PM
I know lasstss sent UUC the specs of the bushing so they should be available through UUC. I bought them from lasstss but last I heard he had no more left.

just spoke with Rob at UUC... Lasstss were 1 of... he says there is no real eefect in having bushing changed out... UUC will havea new line of CTS-V upgrades avaliable soon for us... :bonkers:

benjet
05-24-05, 02:51 PM
just spoke with Rob at UUC... Lasstss were 1 of... he says there is no real eefect in having bushing changed out... UUC will havea new line of CTS-V upgrades avaliable soon for us... :bonkers:

"UUC + soon" now there is an oxymoron. LOL

lasstss
05-24-05, 03:30 PM
That is Rob's story. He doesent drive a V so I dont agree. The factory rubber peices are too soft. Its a subtle difference but I like it. The improvement is in the shifter, not so much the bushings.

Joey'sVee
05-24-05, 04:01 PM
I also just spoke with Rob. I ordered the shifter and they are on back order but he said I should have mine within 2 weeks! He said the bushings aren't needed!

sefa01
05-24-05, 04:02 PM
In Northern California go to [url] The problem for me... putting this shifter on would take me out of A Stock class into A Prepared, going up against guys who have seriously modified their cars. Bummer! That's kind of crazy. It's not a performance upgrade, but simply correcting a problem--the same as if you'd taken the stock one out and tweaked it. And as anyone who has one knows, there is no way anyone can tell by looking if you've done it or not. While I don't advocate cheating, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

trekster
05-24-05, 10:51 PM
ALL OF YOU BUY THE UUC SHORT SHIFTER!! IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!

I just came back from AMS...holy shit the new shifter is so much better now.
Paul (great guy) Showed me a tour of the place which is pretty cool. I also got to see a RS4 as well as some other audi's. I also had the chance of seeing a modified s4 getting dynoed. One of the better dyno rooms i've seen. He also metioned that he wants to do a dyno day for the V's but, we need at least 5 cars in order to do it. He asked me if I wanted to organize the dyno day and I said: "Nope, you should talk to Reed He's your guy." I was there for about 3 hours 1 hour waiting for my car to go up and about 2 hours for the install. They also fixed the exhaust leaks I had in the car. I was playing Gran Turismo 4 for about 2 hours or so and the other hour just waiting.

Today was a good day for the V and me.

trekster
05-24-05, 11:02 PM
I am gonna have them install the headers on a slow day.
Looks like a good place to install it but, they want to charge 400-600 dollars for the installation of the headers. For the reason that there is very little room between the headers and the car and it's going to take them 4-6 hours.

heavymetals
05-25-05, 12:23 AM
That is not unreasonable to me.
I don't have a lift, and the quality of the place seems to be worth it.
One of the better shops I have seen let alone been to.
Nice dyno setup huh?

ctsvett
05-25-05, 01:19 AM
I am going in tomorrow morning @ 10:00 to have mine done.. I cant wait...

I will organize a dyno day for the local Vs (and maybe some non v guys are interested too)... I will caht with them tomorrow about it.

Reed

benjet
05-25-05, 02:53 AM
I am going in tomorrow morning @ 10:00 to have mine done.. I cant wait...

Reed

I can't wait to hear your (and more) opinions on it, I have mine here and wont have time to get it in for a week or two (and waiting on the shift boot).

-Ben

urbanski
05-25-05, 07:18 AM
Looks like a good place to install it but, they want to charge 400-600 dollars for the installation of the headers. For the reason that there is very little room between the headers and the car and it's going to take them 4-6 hours.
woah
that's close to bend you over and violate you price
I got charged $150

Joey'sVee
05-25-05, 08:41 AM
I can't wait to hear your (and more) opinions on it, I have mine here and wont have time to get it in for a week or two (and waiting on the shift boot).

-Ben

Why do you need a new shift boot? Where did you get the bushings? :hmm:

benjet
05-25-05, 09:44 AM
Why do you need a new shift boot? Where did you get the bushings? :hmm:

I got the bushings form lasstss when he had them available.

The stock shift boot is cardboard and crap (plus it's doesn't match the interior - all the other leather has grey stitching), now my nice soft boot will too.

Joey'sVee
05-25-05, 09:48 AM
oh, ok! cool

trekster
05-25-05, 09:59 AM
woah
that's close to bend you over and violate you price
I got charged $150 Over at the LAPD I got a quote of 300 dollars for the installation of the headers and shifter.

urbanski
05-25-05, 10:08 AM
Over at the LAPD I got a quote of 300 dollars for the installation of the headers and shifter.
much better :)
i paid 350 for both (and 3 dyno runs) :)

Joey'sVee
05-25-05, 10:10 AM
do you think it would be cheaper to install bothe shifter and headers at the same time or the same as both at two different times?

trekster
05-25-05, 10:57 AM
much better :)
i paid 350 for both (and 3 dyno runs) :) Good Deal!

trekster
05-25-05, 10:58 AM
do you think it would be cheaper to install bothe shifter and headers at the same time or the same as both at two different times? I'm thinking both at the same time. Since you have to remove the exhaust from the car anyways.

Joey'sVee
05-25-05, 11:05 AM
Well just found out the DTE stage III will not be ready for months so I wont have my headers for months. I guess the shifter will go in before the headers!

ctsvett
05-25-05, 04:16 PM
THE UUC is AMAZING... had mine put in this morning at AMS.... Those guys are good..

The shifter makes this car 100% better to drive and more fun. Anyone on the fence should order now... WELL WORTH IT (at any price)!

Reed

Joey'sVee
05-25-05, 04:27 PM
I can't wait...lots of vets raving over it. They are on back order so I should have mine on in 2 weeks!

lasstss
05-25-05, 05:18 PM
THE UUC is AMAZING... had mine put in this morning at AMS.... Those guys are good..

The shifter makes this car 100% better to drive and more fun. Anyone on the fence should order now... WELL WORTH IT (at any price)!

Reed

And 5 months later, its still good!

benjet
05-25-05, 05:57 PM
My boot arrived today, and I am headed out of town for the holiday weekend. I did put in a call to try and get it installed next week. Hope I love it as much as the other half dozen or so reposndents with thier positive comments, so far I've heard nothing negative. :)

lawfive
05-25-05, 07:29 PM
Ooo! Ooo!! I'm keeping up with Reed!!:gnome:I'm keeping up with Reed!!

I also got the UUC shifter on today. Man, what a difference!! I highly recommend this as a first mod: have fun with the stock HP, then install the UUC and have REAL fun with the stock HP. And when that runs dry, get the Maggie!

My only worry is, what's the next killer mod that will turn the volume up for me again??
:lightbulb

http://www.nitrous-power.com/images/f1003.jpg (http://www.nitrous-power.com/images/f1003.jpg)

sti convert
05-25-05, 10:06 PM
Any pics of the sifter install process?

sti convert
05-25-05, 10:07 PM
...shifter...

TheHylandr
05-25-05, 10:18 PM
I was gonna take some pics and do an install write up but UUCs instructions are awesome. It's really a pretty easy and straight forward install. Hardest part is drilling out 2 rivets, which my 9 year old son did.

TheHylandr
05-25-05, 10:25 PM
The only tip I have is if you are using 2 ramps and 2 jackstands to raise the car, put the front wheels on the ramps and the rear on the jackstands. You have to remove 3 bolts on the driveshaft and this facilitates spinning the driveshaft to gain access to the top bolt.

ctsvett
05-26-05, 01:20 AM
The directions are great, however, one note:

The last picture shows the shifter installed without the rubber boot. YOU must install that rubber boot or the shifter will have some up/down play (about 1 mm) and dust can get up under the shifter boot.

Other than that, the instructions are great and the product is AMAZING.. Like having a new car.

Reed

lasstss
05-26-05, 10:20 AM
Guys, I have been going back and forth with Rob on e mail this am.

He thinks that you can leave the grommet off the bottom of the shifter. Dont do it, it will rattle. The grommet has a flange that gets sandwiched between the plastic socket and the 2 bolt cap. I have ss steel shims that will replace the grommet but that will not keep the dirt out. I have not seen the instructions so I cannot comment. Leave that grommet in. If you screw it up or loose it, I have some.

Rob believes that the slack is inconsequential, and that it makes the ball too tight. This may be but as it wears, better to be a little tight and deal with it.

I have been usung the protype for months now. Its fine with the grommet in.

lasstss
05-26-05, 10:26 AM
Guys, here is the bushing drawing. If you want these get a shop to cut them for you. I recommend 70 durometer urethane. It can be cut from bar if you freeze the stuff in the lathe with freon or CO2. Then split them lengthwise with a razor.An alternative is to make this shape from aluminum, mold it in plaster and pour your own.

Then roll your own:drinker

alcindus
05-26-05, 10:47 AM
So the uuc shifter is only an internal shifter change ??? meaning no fancy handle or boot ? [ ball ] uuc logo ?..... uses stock handle ????

heavymetals
05-26-05, 10:56 AM
No fancy boot or handle.

Just a big improvement in the shifting feel and a shorter "throw".

lasstss
05-26-05, 12:58 PM
So the uuc shifter is only an internal shifter change ??? meaning no fancy handle or boot ? [ ball ] uuc logo ?..... uses stock handle ????

It is purely a complete replacement stalk with hardware.

GASCARRACER
05-26-05, 01:50 PM
I have just talked to UUC and they are not going to do the replacement bushings for the shifter. Are there any other options?

Joey'sVee
05-26-05, 02:09 PM
According to UUC it's not needed. I assume they know what they are talking about. Why fix something that doesn't need it?

lasstss
05-26-05, 02:57 PM
I have just talked to UUC and they are not going to do the replacement bushings for the shifter. Are there any other options?

I posted the specs, have someone make them up. I had about 40 made so a lot of you guys have them.

Morris
05-27-05, 12:04 PM
Lasstss

Where did you post the specs??

Morris

lasstss
05-27-05, 02:11 PM
Lasstss

Where did you post the specs??

Morris

Page 3 post #58 This is page 4 of this thread...

Morris
05-27-05, 11:39 PM
Lasstss

Thanks

GASCARRACER
05-28-05, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the drawing lasstss. If it is not to much to ask, where did you have them made up?

Thanks for all of your help.

To answer your question Joey'sVee. Lasstss recomends the use of the new bushings. He was the one that tested the protype and worked with UUC on designing the shifter.

From my point of view it is easier to put the bushings in when installing the UUC shifter, than finding out later that the bushing are needed.

It won't hurt to replace the bushings while I am installing the shifter.

lasstss
05-28-05, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the drawing lasstss. If it is not to much to ask, where did you have them made up?

Thanks for all of your help.

To answer your question Joey'sVee. Lasstss recomends the use of the new bushings. He was the one that tested the protype and worked with UUC on designing the shifter.

From my point of view it is easier to put the bushings in when installing the UUC shifter, than finding out later that the bushing are needed.

It won't hurt to replace the bushings while I am installing the shifter.

http://www.urethaneinnovators.com/home.htm

Contact was Lee. You can mention Marty from Niro.

They are slow as molasses! You can try sponsoring a group buy? I only used the large bushing on the print. I also made the small ones for the trans but it wasnt necessary.

GASCARRACER
05-29-05, 01:17 PM
Thanks, Lasstss, for the location where to get the bussings made. I will looking into this to see what the cost is.

Wienk
05-30-05, 07:49 PM
I installed my UUC shifter two days ago and it is absolutely GREAT! Now it shifts even better than my BMW and no more hunting for the right gear or trying twice to put it in reverse.

The UUC instructiosn were good, but I already wrote them and told them that they have a couple unnecessary steps in the instructions. If you are going to keep the original bushings, like I did, and like UUC says is OK, the shift assembly does NOT have to be removed from the car to do the installation! That means that the transmission does NOT have to be lowered either! Saves a LOT of time and effort.

Once the shift knob and boot and foam insulator are removed, remove the two bolts holding the shifter assembly to the floor, and once the exhaust has been removed and the driveshaft lowered, remove the pin connecting the end of the original shift stick to the transmission link clevis. Then pull up the foam piece on top of the retainer and drill out the two rivets UNDER THE CAR. The original shift stick and retainer can then be removed and replaced with the new stick and of course a good coating of the UUC grease, the retainer bolted on with the two bolts and nuts supplied in the kit, the foam piece reinstalled, and the shifter pushed up through the floor and rebolted into place.

Replace the boot and knob and the driveshaft and exhaust and you are done!

Trust me, it wasn't that hard and it was well worth the effort and the expense!

Oh, one other important suggestion! You will notice when you remove the foam insulator piece on top of the shifter after removing the boot, that the foam has been worn on the right side where the shift stick has rubbed against it. This is what makes it difficult to shift into reverse!!!! Before replacing the foam piece, take a sharp single edge razor and trim some of the foam away so the new stick no longers rubs on the foam when shifting to reverse.

Voila! No more embarrassing attempts at backing up!

Skeeter
10-12-05, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the reference to Edge Motorsports here in Northern California. I called and asked for Eric. Nice guy, he said they were back ordered on the UUC shifters for our cars. He said the last one he ordered hasn't arrived and that it was ordered ONE MONTH AGO! ARGH!

Anyone know of a source who has 'em in stock? Hopeless? I'd hate to have to wait months to fix this shifter...

They quoted ~$400 for the part and ~$150 for the labor. Right on target.

THanks again,

Skeeter