: mud like residue in surge tank....

mtflight
05-23-05, 12:02 PM
As soon as I took posession of my lovely ride, I purchased Dex-Cool and Distilled water, 2 tubes Barsleak Golden seal, and went to a shop to have it drained and refilled.

They did a "flush" as I watched... then I told him to add the barsleak to the hose, which he did as I watched, etc.

The other day I was checking my fluid levels... and I noticed there was a mud-like residue covering the little stem inside the reservoir, and generally all over... I assume this is from the Barsleak / GM Supplement tabs?

The reservoir was not washed (I read the proper procedure in the service manual AFTER the fact) during the flush. Temperature ranges in the normal from 196-202 and then during hot weather and rush-hour traffic up to 224, then back down to 210-215.

Is this residue normal? Or should I be concerned I may suffer a blockage at some point?

Thanks for your input,

Alex

caddydaddy
05-23-05, 01:41 PM
Yes, that's from the supplements. Unless they put way too much in, it shouldn't clog anything up.

Ranger
05-23-05, 03:57 PM
I agree wiht Caddydaddy. It's just residue from the suppliment. If you are worried about it, you can check it by removing the hose at the bottom of the tank. If coolant flows it is not clogged. That said, if the line was clogged, the tank would get filled from the purge lind nad eventually overflow because the return line was plugged. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

caddydaddy
05-23-05, 04:17 PM
That happened to my '94 Deville. The tank overflow hose plugged up, so when it was hot, it overflowed the tank, but the radiator was half empty! This caused the engine to overheat, but no damage was done. I unplugged the hose and cleaned the tank out, and it's been fine ever since.

mtflight
05-23-05, 04:28 PM
That happened to my '94 Deville. The tank overflow hose plugged up, so when it was hot, it overflowed the tank, but the radiator was half empty! This caused the engine to overheat

LOL, now you got me all worried. If it were to overheat--this is the first thing I'd check.

The crud was evenly sticking... not floating, so unless there's major flow in that area (which there should not be), i should be fine. This is a fine example of why not to put the pellets in this tank--if the residue coating is from putting them in the rad hose--can you imagine if they were put in the reservoir?

Maybe one of these days I will take off the reserve tank and wash it.

Thanks Ranger, Caddydaddy :)

caddydaddy
05-23-05, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't lose sleep over it! But I didn't realize what happened when my car overheated on I-95! It wasn't until I got the car towed back home, and opened the radiator cap and saw that the radiator was half empty, and the coolant tank was very full that I figured out what happened.
On my car, when I bought it, it was leaking coolant from some loose bolts around the waterpump housing. I think the previous owner just added stop leak to it to stop it! I'm sure that was the cause of the clogging up.
If you aren't adding tons of stop leak to your car, I wouldn't worry about your car overheating from a clogged tank hose.

lry99eldo
05-24-05, 10:16 AM
As I read my factory manual it says to add the supplements and NOT sealant, of any kind. Some think that specifiing the supplememnts is just to make money and that sealants will be OK. I don't think so. I really have no idea what these supplements are made of, or what they do. I do know that with only the supplements there is no sign of "murky" coolant and no clogging. I do know what the sealants are and what they do and are patches at best for minor leaks. Hmmmmmmm, patches. Nothing beats replacement of leaking parts and or new gaskets or whatever the proper repair would be. But sealants are to be avoided. In time they will fail and or cause more trouble than the original complaint. I've learned over the years that the "That ought to do it", or the famous "That'll work for now" sets up a false security that it's fixed and you've saved money. You will never flush sealant out now that it is in there, so good luck.

caddydaddy
05-24-05, 10:25 AM
Barsleak or the GM supplement tablets are mostly plant fiber based. Those are the only ones you should use in a Cadillac.

Ranger
05-24-05, 12:22 PM
The GM suppliment is ground up ginger root which expands when it dries out so if it finds it way into a small void it will expand and seal the leak. It is only intended to seal porous castings and niusance leaks, not head gaskets.

BeelzeBob
05-24-05, 02:07 PM
caddydaddy....your problem with a plugged hose on your deville was with a 4.9, right.....??? different cooling system than a Northstar so that failure mode doesn't apply and couldn't happen like that on a Northstar.

The whole issue of what was mentioned in the service manual regarding "no sealers or additives" and the recommendation to install the GM Coolant Supplement was covered in an earlier post. The instructions are not contradictory. The service manual says, correctly, to not add any additives or 'sealants' in general. Some of the "sealants" on the market can be very harmful to the cooling system and are to be avoided. Rather than list all the bad ones the instructions are to simply not use them

The GM Coolant Supplement is simply a sealer ....that is tested and approved and will not cause any problems. Search the forum archives using "coolant supplement" and read up.

The use of the GM Coolant Supplement is recommended in the Northstar due to the large number or aluminum castings that can have some low level of porosity that might cause a minute coolant seepage or leak. Harmless otherwise but annoying. So, the sealant cures it.

The GM Coolant Supplement is ground up ginger root as indicated. It is harmless to the cooling system but if it is installed directly into the pressurized surge tank it can simply lay there and cause a muddy layer on the bottom of the surge tank. That is why it is supposed to be installed into a radiator hose to expose it to the bulk flow of the system to carry it thru the system. The surge tank has very little circulation so any supplement added there will usually just stay there. The coolant supplement particles do not dissolve, per se, they are simply carried in suspension thru the system. So...there can be some "muddyness" imparted to the coolant from the supplement. Perfectly normal.

SOME of the BarsLeaks products are the same stuff as the GM Coolant Supplement. Bars also markets a powdered aluminum stop leak product that is to be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately, since the Northstar is an aluminum engine many people see the 'liquid aluminum" product and use it. NOT GOOD. The BarsLeaks product part numbers G12BP and HDC on their website are the exact same material as the GM Coolant Supplement and are an acceptable replacement for the GM Coolant Supplement.

The GM Coolant Supplement (and the equivalent Bars products) are tested and validated by GM for the cooling systems in the Northstar and the 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines and are highly recommmended. They are absolutely required for the 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines due to that engine design's capability to leak coolant internally into the oil. The Northstar use of the Coolant Supplement is recommended to avoid nuisance leaks as it is very unlikely to leak coolant internally due to the engine design.

caddydaddy
05-24-05, 09:55 PM
caddydaddy....your problem with a plugged hose on your deville was with a 4.9, right.....??? different cooling system than a Northstar so that failure mode doesn't apply and couldn't happen like that on a Northstar.

Yes, it was the 4.9. :bonkers: Sorry about that, I forgot it was different on my old Concours. Oh well, something to be aware of for all the 4.5 and 4.9 owners out there!

powerglide
05-26-05, 07:39 AM
Same sludge in my old surge tank.....wondered about it too!

I repaced the tank cuz of a crack so problem solved for now.